Madness vs. Undisclosed Desires

Jedi of Cydonia

Is Madness or Undisclosed Desires Better?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Is Madness or Undisclosed Desires Better?

• Madness
    • Undisclosed Desires

I voted for madness because of the emotion and end vocals but it's really too early to decide for me. I found UD really boring when I first bought TR (and discovered muse) and couldn't understand why my friend loved it so much. 3 years later and I adore it, and probably like it more than madness at the moment but I haven't listened to madness enough to fully appreciate it like I did UD

Undisclosed Desires is pretty good, but to be perfectly honest, I think Madness is one of the very best songs they've released since the Absolution era.

Also, why does everyone seem to think the end of Madness is the best part? Not that the ending isn't good, but personally I'm much more impressed by the beginning.

Undisclosed Desires is pretty good, but to be perfectly honest, I think Madness is one of the very best songs they've released since the Absolution era.

Also, why does everyone seem to think the end of Madness is the best part? Not that the ending isn't good, but personally I'm much more impressed by the beginning.

:yesey:

The beginning is brilliant. The vocal melody is catchy as fuck, the synths and beat are awesome, it's so simple but so effective.

My personal favourite part of the song is the harmony at around 2:00, but really, I love the whole song from beginning to end.

This.

Every time I listen to it I always am amazed at how simple, calm, and sparse it is. I never could have imagined anything like that coming from Muse, a band who constantly layers tons of instruments and sounds on a track and never does anything this simple.

This.

Every time I listen to it I always am amazed at how simple, calm, and sparse it is. I never could have imagined anything like that coming from Muse, a band who constantly layers tons of instruments and sounds on a track and never does anything this simple.

I guess that's also the exact reason so many people hate it.

That's silly. People seem to hate it because it's different, not necessarily because it's simple. What's musically complex about Time Is Running Out (if you get my point)?

They didn't mention musical simplicity, they talked about production simplicity. Even then it's worth pointing out a lot of people didn't/don't like TIRO.

They didn't mention musical simplicity, they talked about production simplicity. Even then it's worth pointing out a lot of people didn't/don't like TIRO.

Yes, production simplicity. That's what I meant, wrong choice of word, sorry. And although I could give you other examples, I still think my TIRO comparison is valid in this case. :)

That's silly. People seem to hate it because it's different, not necessarily because it's simple. What's musically complex about Time Is Running Out (if you get my point)?

I dislike Madness because it's doesn't surprise me. It sounds like a bad parody of modern pop - i.e. it's only innovative to Muse itself - whereas TIRO was innovative in a much broader context.

Complexity is often mistaken for innovation (or surprise), although there is some obvious overlap... something really simple but innovative can be initially complex to the listener due to that very fact.

All in all, I don't see the point of really trying to make an effort to "move on" as a band, into territory that has long been explored by others... Makes you a cheap copy.

I dislike Madness because it's doesn't surprise me. It sounds like a bad parody of modern pop - i.e. it's only innovative to Muse itself - whereas TIRO was innovative in a much broader context.

Complexity is often mistaken for innovation (or surprise), although there is some obvious overlap... something really simple but innovative can be initially complex to the listener due to that very fact.

All in all, I don't see the point of really trying to make an effort to "move on" as a band, into territory that has long been explored by others... Makes you a cheap copy.

Tine is running out was not innovative.

What's innovative in TIRO?

Also, I find it hard in 2012 to move into a territory not explored by others. Thank god Muse at least want to try new things with every release.

Copy? What do you mean?

Archived