How does it seem wrong? I think it's perfectly normal for men to show their feelings.

Although if some guys really have problems with showing their feelings, I don't think you're really helping. No offence, of course. Just my opinion.

And on the whole "cheesy" thing on many Muse songs...personally I think that most of the time when I think a Muse song as "cheesy" (in a bad way) is when I get the impression that even Muse themselves aren't taking it seriously. And of course sometimes I just don't happen to like the song itself (Guiding Light) and sometimes I happen to really love the song, no matter how cheesy it is (Big Freeze).

Meh, I was just furthering my implication that all the Muse songs that get so much hate around here are the "touchy feely" ones.

Probabaly not very well. It's cold in my car and my brain freezes.

This board is not conducive to helping anyone who may be shy about their feelings come out of their shell, with or without my lame input. :(

I do somewhat agree with your point, though. I find Survival massively more cheesy than Follow Me, for that exact reason.

I think I've definately noticed that any Muse songs that are sentimental, or overdramatically romantic... are often the ones people don't like, and words like "cheesy" get thrown around.

Possibly because Matt isn't great at writing these sorts of songs without throwing in lots of clichés, references to genres that exist in the mainstream only in nostalgic forms, and because they also are pretty cheesy.

Survival's biggest plus is definitely the fact that it's so overblowingly cheesy and over-the-top. Kinda like IBTY, it's not even supposed to be serious.

Or at least I hope so.

Oh dear god, I hope that song isn't serious.

Possibly because Matt isn't great at writing these sorts of songs without throwing in lots of clichés, references to genres that exist in the mainstream only in nostalgic forms, and because they also are pretty cheesy.

I guess I would have to disagree. Maybe they're more limited in appeal, but I think a lot of the cheesier songs aren't examples of bad writing. I mean, not along the lines of the Rio/Leo debacle.

But, as above, it might have been MEANT to be that way. (hopefully) :LOL:

I'm not really going to be able to substantiate it well on my phone in a waiting office, but a lot of the nostalgia and cliches Matt uses contribute to some of the reasons I think I enjoy the songs.

I know that's personal preference, and I can see why it would irritate people, but they've been doing it for a long time.

For example, Big Freeze reminds me a hell of a lot of U2, which was just EVERYWHERE when I was growing up, and of watching a cheesy 80s movie, which I enjoy immensely still, and remind me of a period of my life that was less lame (at least in my mind!)

Therefore, the song makes me happy, and I love it. :happy:

I also think it takes a certain amount of courage to put something like Follow Me out there, knowing people are going to criticize it harshly (like people do with anything,) and really it's so damn personal.

• 2 months later...
I've heard lots of heartbeats in music but I haven't heard many fetal heartbeats. I'm sure it's been used a bunch of times I just haven't heard it much.

Foals used heartbeats in Blue Blood for instance.

I still get this song stuck in my head all the time, even after all this time.

It's not as bad as it was during Sept when I thought I was going to lose my shit if it didn't stop, but sometimes it's close.

I love it. :LOL:

It was so fucking amazing live, I couldn't express that without using the word "fuck."

• 8 months later...

It was a force of nature, live.

I wasn't expecting the bass drop at all; I don't know what I was expecting.

The impact of the song on my speakers now is just a reminder of what it WAS.

Part of the reason I drove all the way to Denver was just to see that again. :LOL:

And I kind of want to buy a stereo that actually has some bass to it, now...

• 1 year later...

Reckon I'd have liked this song way more live if Matt had kept playing the guitar, the bit in the second verse and outro are good and just do some phat layering in the choruses.

Remember watching the video of it's first live performance and it looked insane

Reckon I'd have liked this song way more live if Matt had kept playing the guitar, the bit in the second verse and outro are good and just do some phat layering in the choruses.

Remember watching the video of it's first live performance and it looked insane

jeez dom get with the times, it's all about drones now

I know they get a lot of hate here, but 30STM used a bass heavy synth on the opening track of their latest album/tour, was in the first floor of seats at the O2 and it felt stunning, first time that I'd literally felt my clothes vibrate from the bass with some force. Although I'm not the biggest fan of the song (I hate Nero, brings back bad memories of high school) I'm interested if they'll play it in Manchester. It did seem pretty weak at the Emirates as I was right at the top seats directly opposite the stage.

Archived