There is a difference squeezing through little gaps and elbowing your way forward :p

Even so, if I queue for 10 hours and then have someone just show up when doors open and think they're gonna stand in front of me just because they squeezed through, uh, no. Especially if they're 5'11". :mad:

That doesn't read right, but you get my drift.

I think honestly, the line is crossed when interaction with the band becomes obsessive. I don't see any problem with going to gigs, in fact I don't see any problem of waiting around to meet them before and after, it's a bit obsessive obviously, but because it's in a gig enviroment and they have security around them they hopefully feel safe.

It's just the waiting at airports, studios, following them around. That's over the line. Hence why I despise paps :LOL:

To clarify my thoughts about fangirl/boy obsessions, I didn't say that twitter stalking or going to nine gigs on a tour are just equally creepy. In my opinion though both are creepy, and both cross the line of reason. Unlike others though maybe, I think the line of reason is not only defined by how we treat the celebrities, but also how we treat ourselves when spending time on fangirling. As long as it is for fun and does not have effect on the normal life it's more or less ok in my eyes, but when people start spending considerable amounts of money and time and then get disappointed when all that effort does not give expected breath taking experience, it is creepy. Creepy because such people put too much expectations to something which is after all three guys playing songs we all know on stage, some fancy laser lights and videos and tens of thousands of people getting uncomfortably packed together watching the show.

Seriously? There is nothing creepy about going to a lot of gigs :LOL: I'm not anywhere near a fanboi, but I'd jump at the chance to go to that many gigs because they're such a good live band

You find people who go to 9 Muse gigs disgusting? :LOL:

:LOL::facepalm:

:ninja:

to come back to jdeboer's question 'didn't you expect that?'. I doubt Will would think that his 5 second appearance on screen would result in girls trying to figure out where you go to school and adding your friends on facebook. It's creepy and disrespectful, so why should he chose not to do something he loves because there are a fair few crazies who can't control themselves?

:LOL:

But yeah, that's exactly it.

I don't know if I said this already, but I think writing fanfic and Belldom are all fine, as long as that person realizes,"Hey,this will never actually happen, it's a joke." But of course, if those things are out of line, like bad Belldom things or fanfics, and that's just wrong. There's a point where doing these things obsessively is really weird and probably you should be looked at for mental issues.

No way, fanfics about real people in general are just creepy as fuck. If I was one of the band and saw that I'd be freaked out.

Well I' exaggerating of course, voldemort does appear more than 5 seconds but still no where near as much as Harry and co. And still doesn't mean he would expect random fangirls to add his friends on facebook though..

:LOL:

I honestly have no idea what the nature of the part he played was. If it was a speaking part, and his character was integral to the plot of the movie, then yea, weirdos who are obsessed with HP will remember him and do weird shit. :LOL: If it was just a tiny part in the movie, it just goes to show how obsessed some people are with HP.

It was inbetween :chuckle: Should've been a speaking part but they pissed around and cut half my stuff :'( Luckily I don't think it was due to me being shit :LOL:

No I believe the correct answer is that it just goes to show how obsesses people are with 'celebrities' and how they use this celebrity culture to be nosy, inconsiderate, selfish twats.

:yesey:

Well, I think that's a very simplified answer. I think it's more complex than that. We should ask why tabloids exist in the first place. I do believe that "celebrity culture" is celebrated by movie producers. The more exposure their "star" has, the more draw they'll have at the box office. The more stars get their mug plastered over the tabloids, the more it promotes their "brand". Some movie stars do a fine job staying out of the tabloids. Now how and why is that?

You know, it can go the other way around too. Some celebrities use their fame to do obnoxious shit like make political statements (which they must have quite the ego to believe their opinion matters, AND which more than often makes them look like idiots). Some also expect special treatment -- and believe they deserve it. (i.e. Beyonce taking up an entire floor of the hospital where she gave birth)

Oh there's definitely people high up that use hysteria as a marketing technique. More buzz = more viewers = more moniez

Usually because of injunctions :LOL:

Oh some people definitely let it get to their head, they get a sense of entitlement.

The essence :p

I guess that's because we feel entitled to know everything about the life actors/singers/etc. I don't know why some don't appear in the tabloids as much, maybe they always take the back door, don't live in places with a lot of celebrities or don't go to high profile parties.

And I honestly don't think that pictures of someone walking their dog or drinking a cup of coffee is good for their 'brand'. And I also don't see how people can find this interesting.

Sure people use their fame for other things. Difference is that they chose this. It's everyones right to speak up for a political party so yeah, it is easier if you already have a platform. I still don't see how this justifies being harassed in your 'off stage' life.

Did she? Sounds like another one of those 'insides information tells us' stories. Seeing how high profile she is I can't blame for for trying to buy some privacy when you have to squeeze out a tiny human from your vagina. There were probably quite a lot of people trying to have a peep. She wouldn't have to do this if people would respect this private moment in the first place.

And yes of course there are the people like Paris Hilton who live for exposure and seek it out.

Indeed.

Even so, if I queue for 10 hours and then have someone just show up when doors open and think they're gonna stand in front of me just because they squeezed through, uh, no. Especially if they're 5'11". :mad:

If there is a 5 cm gap between you and the person in front of you and someone barges through to take that 'gap' then yes, they are a dick. If there is plenty of space for another person to stand there then you can't blame someone for taking that place just because you were so idiotic to queue for 10 hours :p

(And I say this as someone who has queued for a long time)

But this seems quite off topic, unless we want to discuss the phenomenon of days of queueing to get a barrier position.

I can understand that but at the case of the gig I went to, I wasn't really squeezing through any gaps as there were only about 100-200 people there so everyone was pretty spaced out. Also, I didn't go right up to the barrier as apparently I'd have a better view if I stayed back a bit.

Edit: Basically, what the post above me reads :rolleyes:

I understand, I put my uncle through torture by making him go to the barrier at Leeds Fest last year :LOL: Still, it just can't be the same being away from the main crowd :(

Anyway, another thing I've found with fanboys/girls is how defensive they get of the band, as if they were family or in a relationship with them. For example:

"Damn, Matt's voice was a bit off during that performance."

"OMG SHUT UP DON'T YOU DARE INSULT MY MAFFOO, HE IS PERFECT, I WILL FIND YOU AND *insert expletive threats here*"

That's pretty creepy if you ask me.

Versus Musers:

"Yeah,you're right." :chuckle:

But this seems quite off topic, unless we want to discuss the phenomenon of days of queueing to get a barrier position.

Yes, you're right. :$

I can understand that but at the case of the gig I went to, I wasn't really squeezing through any gaps as there were only about 100-200 people there so everyone was pretty spaced out. Also, I didn't go right up to the barrier as apparently I'd have a better view if I stayed back a bit.

Well fine then. :) Sometimes I'm just amazed at convos on the gig threads about some people. Believe me, there are plenty douche bags that have no clue about gig etiquette. :noey:

/off-topic :$

Well fine then. :) Sometimes I'm just amazed at convos on the gig threads about some people. Believe me, there are plenty douche bags that have no clue about gig etiquette. :noey:

/off-topic :$

I don't want to be a douche at a gig! Tell me, what is proper etiquette?

Sorry, off topic. Uh, maybe the fangirls are the douches at gigs?

I don't want to be a douche at a gig! Tell me, what is proper etiquette?

Sorry, off topic. Uh, maybe the fangirls are the douches at gigs?

Yeah, I want to know too!

This thread has a lot of info, but it's quite long: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=69344&highlight=expect

And this one as well: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=83532&highlight=stand

Both give good info not just on manners, but what to expect for you n00bs. :D

I think many celebrities have a love/hate relationship with the kind of fans who stalk them in the hotels and in the airports etc. Those fans creep them out but then again if there wasn't anyone stalking them, they would find it worrying. It's a sign of success after all and if there aren't any fans, it most likely means you're falling out of success. Even many of those celebrities who have been able to keep their feet on the ground probably find that kind of admiration quite flattering. And creepy at the same time. The problem is they don't know which fans are well meaning and which are proper creepy and have gone too far. Every fan should keep that in mind.

This thread has a lot of info, but it's quite long: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=69344&highlight=expect

And this one as well: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=83532&highlight=stand

Both give good info not just on manners, but what to expect for you n00bs. :D

Does it teach you how to prepare and cope with bitter disappointment?

Versus Musers:

"No, fuck you. It was terrible not slightly off!"

Fixed.

Fangirl/boy - someone who has nothing better to do than to sit and obsess over thier favorite performer. Focusing more on their personal life than their actual music.

Real Fan- someone who appreciates the band's skill and admires them for that. Still may watch funny moments:p

don't know who said it before but yea I joke about being obsessed and stuff but i'm not. Their my favorite band, of course, and they always will be but i couldn't care less about if their getting married or what their wearing...

Fangirl/boy - someone who has nothing better to do than to sit and obsess over thier favorite performer. Focusing more on their personal life than their actual music.

I don't think being a fangirl means someone focuses on the band members' personal life more than the music.

Real Fan- someone who appreciates the band's skill and admires them for that. Still may watch funny moments:p

don't know who said it before but yea I joke about being obsessed and stuff but i'm not. Their my favorite band, of course, and they always will be but i couldn't care less about if their getting married or what their wearing...

It's nice that you're starting to form your own opinions and stuff, I bet it's a big step in your life.

But it's wrong. All of it.

"OMG SHUT UP DON'T YOU DARE INSULT MY MAFFOO, HE IS PERFECT, I WILL FIND YOU AND *insert expletive threats here*"

That's pretty creepy if you ask me.

That reminds me of the woman who wished death upon people who suggested that Muse should split. :LOL: That post was just a goldmine for crazy.

Archived