Is Matt the most talented musician alive?

LethalGnar

Let's be honest here.

He has an incredible voice and can hit notes that few other singers in the music industry can hit.

He is an incredible guitarist.

Incredible Pianist.

On top of that, he is an amazing songwriter.

When I listen to Muse I feel like i need the whole world to see just how good they are. I really don't know how anybody can not like Muse, or deney their brilliance. It makes me angry when somebody says they're shit.

Anybody else feel this way?

He has actually has quite a small range.

He's pretty average at the guitar for a rock musician.

Granted, his piano skills are pretty terrific.

He's good, but no where near the best.

Why? Cause he doesn't include 2 minute solos in his songs of just random note hitting?

He's got a very consistently good voice. Not a very impressive range but he can use it pretty well.

His guitar skills are nothing out of the ordinary. Much because most of his guitar playing has to be around his vocals.

He is NOT an incredible pianist. For a rock musician he isn't bad at all, but comparing to classical trained pianists, he isn't even on a rookie level.

He is a fairly good songwriter, maybe not very innovative and uses alot of others work but that's not such a bad thing really.

All together, as a musician, he is very talented indeed. Though, I would never rate anyone on top of things like this because it's impossible to measure.

Why? Cause he doesn't include 2 minute solos in his songs of just random note hitting?

It's not much of a problem of playing fast (Guiding Light had some quite notes in it but it didn't make the song much better). His guitar work isn't the most creative ever. I like it a lot, but I wouldn't call it the best.

It's not much of a problem of playing fast (Guiding Light had some quite notes in it but it didn't make the song much better). His guitar work isn't the most creative ever. I like it a lot, but I wouldn't call it the best.

I don't know why everybody hates Guiding Light, it's fucking amazing.

damn, and I thought this was a MUSE message board.

Doesn't mean people can't dislike a song of theirs.

Matt is very talented, but he's simply fairly great at most of the instruments he plays, he isn't spectacular at anything. Whether or not you could construe this to be talent is up to you, really. I myself would say he's one of the more talented popular musicians nowadays, but by no means would I say he is the most talented musician around.

EDIT: Basically what Ryoma-Kun said.

Stay around a bit longer, you'll see how much rage this board can get. You should've seen us after the Reading broadcast was cut short :rolleyes:

It's still a fun board though, don't get me wrong. :happy:

Who would you say is more talanted?

Don't get me wrong, he IS talented. But there are so many more talented musicians out there that it's not right trying to compare.

Take Steve Wilson for example. He's a brilliant songwriter with a decent voice, and he writes much more complicated songs than Matt does. Compared to Porcupine Tree's songs, Muse's songs are just children's songs. And his producing skills are top notch.

Also, when it comes to multi-instrumentalism, Dave Grohl is absolutely in the same league as Matt.

Matt's guitar parts and piano parts are not difficult to play compared to for example progressive Metal or 'just' shred metal (not my thing, but technically really complicated stuff).

So really, you can't just say that he is the most talented musician alive. He's good indeed, but broaden your view before saying something like this.

Let's be honest here.

He has an incredible voice and can hit notes that few other singers in the music industry can hit.

He is an incredible guitarist.

Incredible Pianist.

On top of that, he is an amazing songwriter.

When I listen to Muse I feel like i need the whole world to see just how good they are. I really don't know how anybody can not like Muse, or deney their brilliance. It makes me angry when somebody says they're shit.

Anybody else feel this way?

The thing about hitting notes few other singers can hit is really just wrong. You need to listen to more singers if that's your opinion.

Yes, he's very talented and Matt is one of my favourite musicians of all time, but it's impossible to say he's "the best". For a start, that's subjective.

I see you've just joined today. Are you fairly new to Muse?

Dreams. Shattered.

Take Steve Wilson for example. He's a brilliant songwriter with a decent voice, and he writes much more complicated songs than Matt does. Compared to Porcupine Tree's songs, Muse's songs are just children's songs. And his producing skills are top notch.

And yes, I'd agree with this.

Archived