Who Should Produce The Next Muse Album?

resistance2012

¿.Who Should Produce The Next Muse Album.?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. ¿.Who Should Produce The Next Muse Album.?

• Brian eno
    • Steve lilly white
    • William orbit
    • Produce themselves
    • Other

He moulded them together like no-one did before and got them working as one entity rather than a mediocre rhythm section and a whiney guy in a space suit noodling his guitar.

Origin of Symmetry's far superior to BH&R and mildly better than The Resistance but that's beside the point. As a producer, he was terrible. The production on Absolution and BH&R in particular is awful.

In addition to making better sounding (as in the sound of the albums, not how much I like it) albums, John Leckie kept the band more focused musically so they didn't end up with a mess of different musical styles all thrown together on one album when there really should have been three, like on BH&R. While the sound of the album improved on The Resistance, they really needed a producer to reign them back from all Matt's 'hey what if we make a song in this genre!!!' etc.

Their next album should be produced by someone who'll challenge them creatively (not in a 'hey, let's try out genres we haven't used before, with each song being from a different one!' way, like they have on the last few albums) and actually know how to produce an album that sounds good.

I'd be far more excited for an album produced by Timbaland than one produced by Rich Costey again.

http://www.nme.com/news/duran-duran/55571

Yes, bring in Timbaland. Either they'll stick with him and make something shitty or kick him to the curb and get a producer in the other direction (a rockier one). If the shit persists, I can stop caring. If it doesn't, I can be pleasantly surprised. Timbaland's not really a producer in the traditional sense, to me at least. He's a producer in the hip hop/r&b/pop sense of being a beatmaker, which is fine but he just doesn't really make sense in the context of producing a rock band's album. As the guy from Duran Duran says in that article, "Everything's in a box for those guys."

Has anyone mentioned Steve Albini yet? I really don't think him and Muse would get along, but imagine the sonic results.

Yup, he's on my wishlist on the previous page.

Pharrell - Because if you're going to change directions, you better go all the way.

Trent Reznor - Because

Steve Albini -Because if you're going to take a step back from the bombastic,you better go all the way. Compared to Rich Costey's multilayered, yet flat, sound paste, Albini's three layer grit will have a much more pleasing depth to it.

• 2 months later...

I can think of a few who would bring something new to the table:

Trent Reznor- Muse have exhausted the classical vein, and I've love to hear Matt's skills as a composer filtered through an industrial soundscape. Trent Reznor would be about as good a producer as you can get for that sort of thing.

Liam Howlett- might happen if they pursue this rave direction. Failing that, NOISIA or Justice please! I don't think Pendulum should produce; I like their music but the production's a little too smooth at times in a way that wouldn't suit Muse.

2D of Massive Attack- more meditative style than the above two, but he's still excellent.

Josh Homme- it'd be interesting for sure ;)

Second the Geoff Barrow recommendation.

Rich Costey + Vlado Meller jointly KILLED Black Holes and Revelations. The sound is flat and compressed I find it practically unlistenable. It was horrendous.

If they touch any part of this this album will be a write off sound wise.

Interesting thought, if BHAR had been produced right, and some better decisions had been made (perhaps regarding Glorious and Assassin) would it be regarded as their best album?

Quite possibly. Not personally. I much prefer The Resistance, but BHaR just sounds horrendous when it should have sounded lush and layered.

Muse also made a few mistakes with it. They butchered songs like Assassin and Exo Politics musically. The strings and trumpet on City of Delusion just sound artificial and one dimensional.

But it would have been good still if it wasn't for the sound issues. Muse should never EVER have gone near Vlado. He brutalised BHaR and HAARP.

Just look at KoC on HAARP!

This is supposed to be a live album!?

Quite possibly. Not personally. I much prefer The Resistance, but BHaR just sounds horrendous when it should have sounded lush and layered.

I agree with all the points you made, but do you mean that you liked the production on TR? Or did you just mean that the songs were better? Personally, I'd love to see Josh Homme or Trent Reznor do the production on the next album, might help Muse get that hard edge that's been lacking from their last two studio albums.

I agree with all the points you made, but do you mean that you liked the production on TR? Or did you just mean that the songs were better? Personally, I'd love to see Josh Homme or Trent Reznor do the production on the next album, might help Muse get that hard edge that's been lacking from their last two studio albums.

Generally I liked the production on The Resistance. It did songs like UD, MK Ultra and Exogenesis justice, and the album was at least mastered reasonably.

I'm not sure Homme or Reznor would necessarily do some of Muse's less rockier material justice...a hard edge isn't always to be desired.

I would like to see someone handle their electronic side better...just to spare us from the bleepy bloopy synth arpeggios...

Generally I liked the production on The Resistance. It did songs like UD, MK Ultra and Exogenesis justice, and the album was at least mastered reasonably.

I'm not sure Homme or Reznor would necessarily do some of Muse's less rockier material justice...a hard edge isn't always to be desired.

I would like to see someone handle their electronic side better...just to spare us from the bleepy bloopy synth arpeggios...

Id say Butch Vig.. hes very electro orientated producer, and worked with countless bands such as Nirvana/Dave Grohl/Foos, Garbage, Depeche Mode.. its a long list.. theres also Mark Ronson if you want everything to sound like 'valerie'

i lied about the last one :D

Id say Butch Vig.. hes very electro orientated producer, and worked with countless bands such as Nirvana/Dave Grohl/Foos, Garbage, Depeche Mode.. its a long list.. theres also Mark Ronson if you want everything to sound like 'valerie'

Ahh yeah, he did a very good job on Neutron Star Collision come to think of it, even if you don't like the song.

But yes. I think we can all agree that Muse would be better if they Ronsonified all their new songs :LOL:

Ahh yeah, he did a very good job on Neutron Star Collision come to think of it, even if you don't like the song.

But yes. I think we can all agree that Muse would be better if they Ronsonified all their new songs :LOL:

umm.. i'd rather cut my ears off then listen to another Mark Ronson Special ditty.. could always get the telly tubbies to do it :D

Beyond Garbage, Butch Vig is primarily known for Grunge. He's never worked with Depeche Mode, just remixed them.

If Muse want an electronic producer, then Mark Bell from LFO would be a great shout, he's been involved with all of Bjork's albums since Homogenic, as well as actually producing Depeche Mode and LFO was a pioneer of IDM in the 90's on Warp Records.

If they are interested in developing their electronic side, it would be essential for them to work with someone like that, as they are either stuck in the past or somewhat amateurs with electronics. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, just depends on what they want to do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHeX6yg95xU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KANBeat7FFA

Now you say it, the songs on The Resistance were produced well, they just weren't produced the way that i liked, which is a different thing. There's nothing wrong with the production.

I'm all for Muse having more of an electronic side, especially if, as you say, they can move away from bleepy bloopy synth.

Archived