Who Should Produce The Next Muse Album?

resistance2012

¿.Who Should Produce The Next Muse Album.?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. ¿.Who Should Produce The Next Muse Album.?

• Brian eno
    • Steve lilly white
    • William orbit
    • Produce themselves
    • Other

for their sixth album they must work with a new producer , i want a new sound, idont think they should produce the next album by themselves , i personally think they should work with brian eno or william orbit. ¿what do you think.? what will be the perfect producer for muse sixth album.?

NO to all of those. Those are all the usual producers for U2. Thats not a bad thing but just that they need someone else IMO. I voted Other.

I'm not sure how good Eno would be for Muse but he was great for U2 in the 80s and 90s and although significantly less experimental and creative helped pull Coldplay out of the ditch they dug themselves into with X&Y.

William Orbit helped Blur make one of their best albums too, though I don't think he'd work for Muse.

Who's Radiohead's producer these days?

Seems like Nigel Godrich still is. I think it would be mighty interesting to hear what he could do with Muse.

Also, I would love to hear a Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) + Muse collaboration. That would be GODLY! :D

Why is this a Spanish question? (upside down question marks anyone, lol!)

Anyway, yeah I think a reunion with Leckie might be interesting after all these years. Not Costey again - tried and tested with mixed results. Either way, I think they'd do well to work with a producer for the next one. They've proven they can produce themselves, but TR lacked direction in some ways - there was too much going on. I'm not saying they need to create more 'concept' albums, but a producer can give them a clearer steer of which way to go, musically. Someone new entirely might be refreshing, too.

I just want a cohesive album :(.

TR and BH&R are just all over the place in terms of sounds, production, lyrical themes, musical themes, influences, etc. Too disparate to be classed as great albums.

Look at all the best albums of all time; Blonde On Blonde, Revolver, Dark Side Of The Moon, Kid A, The Queen Is Dead, Led Zeppelin II, heck, even Origin Of Symmetry, they're isn't reckless amounts of needless genre-hopping.

Also, what really bugs me about BH&R and TR are the clichéed nods to their influences, Queen being a particularly painful example on Knights and USOE.

I'm not saying those two albums don't have some fantastic, creative songs, they do - Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique, City Of Delusion, Uprising, MK Ultra, Exogenesis, all as good as anything Muse have ever produced, but they're lost amongst a sea of arsebaggery and pretension.

^ I agree with parts of that, which is why I think they need to be slapped back into a more succinct sound with a no-nonesense producer. I know producers don't define an album, and I'm not discounting Muse's own input to their creative sound, but they do almost need someone to musically whip them back onto a certain track, lol. It's funny, cos OoS had so many crazy concepts, musical styles etc that it almost shouldn't work. It verged on being too experimental, but somehow they made that a good thing.

Abso, however, was a contrast in that it stayed within the pillars of a concept - lyrically, thematically and musically. It wasn't necessarily rigid, but you could tell they weren't trying to jump all over the shop with too many different styles. If they can harness a level of both into the next one, it could be outstanding.

I don't have a huge problem with BH&R and TR being experimental in styles of music, but they did lack coherence because you weren't sure where it was going. I think that more of TR, especially because of the injection of 'soft' styles with Undisclosed Desires and the complete 180 shift when you get to Exogenesis. It tried to be conceptual with the whole 'resistance' theme, but I don't think that came across effectively enough. Hence - producer! lol

I don't have a huge problem with BH&R and TR being experimental in styles of music

Neither album is experimental. Doing 12 songs in different genres that already exist isn't being experimental as you aren't doing anything new musically.

Neither album is experimental. Doing 12 songs in different genres that already exist isn't being experimental as you aren't doing anything new musically.

True, but they were experimental by Muse's standard of music - they've never used slap bass or keytars or composed an entire 'symphony' (even though it's not technically one), or even ventured into the realms of 'dancier' tracks. Again, that's not in the conventional sense of the term, but form Muse's music the likes of Supermassive could fall under that heading.

or even ventured into the realms of 'dancier' tracks.

They've yet to venture into that. :p

Before the debate starts; "Dance" music has it's roots in psychedelia and all the rest of it and is far from 3 minute radio friendly pop songs. There is a crossover between "pop" and EDM though, much in the same way there is with rock & "pop".

I think it should either be the guy who produced Absolution, or someone new. NOT more mainstream though. I won't be nearly as interested in their new album if it's going to descend into the realm of mainstream rock. Bring on the Alternativeness. Maybe a few songs could be more mainstream, but I'm looking forward to something truly special and unique and emoted. ;)

Archived