I just heard this song on the radio like two minutes ago and I was struck by how similar my goals are to the lyrics of this song. Specifically this part;

"Come let the revolution take its toll if you could

Flick the switch and open your third eye, you’d see that

We should never be afraid to die"

My thing is - peace can only come around by people waking up to the interconnectedness of all things, and the Third Eye is an integral part of the symbolism I use in my work. If you look at my avatar you can see the Great Seal of the United States (the Eye in the Pyramid) cut-up to resemble the anarchy symbol (revolution.) Additionally, IMO, the Eye in the Pyramid is a coded reference to the Third Eye because it's an (eye in a triangle = 3 + I = Third Eye)

The Third Eye, IMO, represents the interconnectedness of all things - consider the TOOL song of the same name where Bill Hicks says "All matter is really energy condensed to a slow vibration - we are all one consciousness experiencing itself - there is no such thing as death - life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."

My goal in life is to become a consciousness revolution. The weapon in question is art - I see this revolution consisting not of leaders and followers but rather sources of inspiration and artists (the two are the same.) To me, the link between art and magic is a single, universal mind. The goal of this revolution is to educate rather than instruct - to be an example of what is possible rather than make people "have faith."

When this is over we will know there is no higher authority than our own Consciousness. (again I refer you to the symbolism of my avatar.)

But, history has shown me that most people reading this probably believe "Uprising" is just another example of pretentious rock stars thinking they can change the world. Or just as likely, Muse themselves don't believe what they're saying. So I ask again... How seriously do you take "Uprising"?

Uprising is deadly serious, it's not contrived, silly, or pretentious at all. It's a song about how Matt Bellamy of Muse™ is going to lead the Uprising™ of The Resistance™ from his new Hollywood Mansion.

this :LOL:

rich rockstars need to stick with making good music. personally, i don't wanna hear them lecturing about politics.

uprising is a rock song, with good synth effects, and may discuss how our world leaders are liars and wankers.

that must equal a good song, nuff' said.

This!

And to the creator of this thread: Don't believe Dan Brown's and his nonsense about symbolism and history/religious conspiracies.:LOL:

The beauty of the song is you can take it as serious as you want and interpret it in different ways. If its a piss take, then cool, its cheesy in places and works like that. If you want it to be a geniune protest theme, I think it works like that, the bass/synth combo is very dark.

I take it however my mood is.

Considering that this is the song that Matt chooses to give Gary Glitter a run for his money with his light-up shades, shiny suits, reflective toys and OTT gesticulation/flamboyance in performance; AND the song in which monstrous, evil, gigantic teddy bears take over the world... then, yeah, it's srs bsns!

Examples of said seriousness =

:stunned:

I do take the message of Uprising seriously but for different reasons than the original poster. I know that Matt's phrasing "Open your third eye" has it's root in conspiracy theory but, to me, the whole song is about rising above false consciousness. False consciousness is a well known neo-Marxist concept regarding Capitalist delusion. From Matt's interviews he appears to be thinking along these lines, thinking about the the effects of a corporatecrasy and the delusion that we have a democracy, rather than some weird fantasy that the OP is alluding to.

The only problem I have with Uprising and many of Muse's songs, is the idea of revolution through blood shed, which goes against what they actually say in interview. I suppose they think it makes for more passionate rock. Afterall how can you make a good rock song out of constitutional reform? :LOL: I like the passion though. We need that passion I think, if there is ever going to be any chance of reform.

By the way the words:

"We tried to make a difference but no one wants to listen"

Certainly have grounds on Muse.mu when there is reference to any political messages in Muse songs.;):chuckle:

Archived