Considering that this is the song that Matt chooses to give Gary Glitter a run for his money with his light-up shades, shiny suits, reflective toys and OTT gesticulation/flamboyance in performance; AND the song in which monstrous, evil, gigantic teddy bears take over the world... then, yeah, it's srs bsns!

Examples of said seriousness =

:stunned:

Don't mention Gary Glitter :noey:

By the way the words:

"We tried to make a difference but no one wants to listen"

Certainly have grounds on Muse.mu when there is reference to any political messages in Muse songs.;):chuckle:

Should we be wishing heart attacks on Muse then instead of petitioning for them to split?

They are a band on a major, multinational, corporate label after all. :p

It's far too heaped in hypocrisy and irony to take seriously, compared to other bands, who really meant it (Crass springs to mind)

Should we be wishing heart attacks on Muse then instead of petitioning for them to split?

They are a band on a major, multinational, corporate label after all. :p

Umm, they are speaking for the people. Their personal position is irrelevant. It's more than the fat cat banker twats would ever do!

Why on earth is it hypocrisy? Muse live in the world as it is. They are not responsible for the situation. What do you want them to do? They are getting their music out there the best way they can.

Umm, they are speaking for the people. Their personal position is irrelevant. It's more than the fat cat banker twats would ever do!

Why on earth is it hypocrisy? Muse live in the world as it is. They are not responsible for the situation. What do you want them to do? They are getting their music out there the best way they can.

The bands referenced were all on majors. Crass never did like The Clash :chuckle:

It's hypocrisy because Muse are working for the fat cats. If they really meant it...

The bands referenced were all on majors.

It's hypocrisy because Muse are working for the fat cats. If they really meant it...

It's possible they're willing to be hypocrites for the purpose of getting the message across, accepting it as a necessary evil. But I doubt it.

The bands referenced were all on majors.

But if they didn't they wouldn't get the same exposure and less chance of getting that message out. It's a catch 22 situation. I'm not saying that's all they're about. Of course, predominantly it's about the success for the band and the music and I don't begrudge them that either. But I really don't think they should be discredited for using the platform they have.

Honestly I think it needs to be said and I don't particularly care who says it.

It's possible they're willing to be hypocrites for the purpose of getting the message across, accepting it as a necessary evil. But I doubt it.

Other bands have managed it and there's plenty of avenues to get music out there these days, I don't feel the "necessary evil" excuse works as you need to lead by example if you really care.

Other bands have managed it and there's plenty of avenues to get music out there these days, I don't feel the "necessary evil" excuse works as you need to lead by example if you really care.

I don't agree, not if you want to get the message out to the mainstream. Though tbh I don't think it's worked. I don't think they deserve criticism for trying though.

I don't agree, not if you want to get the message out to the mainstream.

:facepalm:

You sign to a major to sell records, not make a political statement. They are feeding the fat cats and saying it's the only way to get the message out there?

Complete bollocks.

I don't care if you agree or not.

Don't mention Gary Glitter :noey:

Minus the paedophilia bit, of course :p.

Anyways, I think Matt buys into a lot of the conspiracies/political unrest he mentions in songs, but not to the point where he's changing his lifestyle, if you get what I mean. Singing about them is one thing, but he's not actively doing anything to 'rise up' against the government/bankers/whoever as a result (e.g. as Humphrey says, they've not ended their contract with Warner to prove that they're against 'the fat cats'). So, while he might take the topic seriously, the song itself doesn't translate the same way - it's more of a catchy anthem than anything else. The worst he's done personally is create an underground bunker and bought himself millions of cans of beans and rations in the event of an earth-shattering war :LOL:

:facepalm:

You sign to a major to sell records, not make a political statement. They are feeding the fat cats and saying it's the only way to get the message out there?

Complete bollocks.

Not at all. They are using their platform and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Tbh there's few who do that.

Not at all. They are using their platform and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Tbh there's few who do that.

They aren't using their platform at all. Just wrote a few songs with a political theme.

If you mean it, you have to live it. Muse have just gone down the Green Day route of really poor political themes best suited to 13 year olds with no real depth whatsoever and have no interest in changing the world in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCiTVdrK3jE

RATM, a band who ended up on a major, using their platform...

Minus the paedophilia bit, of course :p.

Anyways, I think Matt buys into a lot of the conspiracies/political unrest he mentions in songs, but not to the point where he's changing his lifestyle, if you get what I mean. Singing about them is one thing, but he's not actively doing anything to 'rise up' against the government/bankers/whoever as a result (as Humphrey says, they've not ended their contract with Warner to prove that they're against 'the fact cats'). So, while he might take the topic seriously, the song itself doesn't translate the same way - it's more of a catchy anthem than anything else. The worst he's done personally is create an underground bunker and bought himself millions of cans of beans and rations in the event of an earth-shattering war :LOL:

He also tries to vear away from supermarkets by raising his own chickens which is more than most of us do, but okay, he's not perfect. Who of us is? Well actually I don't eat chicken at all but I'm still far from perfect. Raising the issue is still important though. It's the issue that is important. It's pointless and irrelevant to attempt to remove the argument by discrediting the arguer. And the fact is that Muse are putting the argument out there.

They aren't using their platform at all. Just wrote a few songs with a political theme.

If you mean it, you have to live it. Muse have just gone down the Green Day route of really poor political themes best suited to 13 year olds with no real depth whatsoever and have no interest in changing the world in the process.

Sorry but that's bollocks.:)

I just heard this song on the radio like two minutes ago and I was struck by how similar my goals are to the lyrics of this song. Specifically this part;

"Come let the revolution take its toll if you could

Flick the switch and open your third eye, you’d see that

We should never be afraid to die"

My thing is - peace can only come around by people waking up to the interconnectedness of all things, and the Third Eye is an integral part of the symbolism I use in my work. If you look at my avatar you can see the Great Seal of the United States (the Eye in the Pyramid) cut-up to resemble the anarchy symbol (revolution.) Additionally, IMO, the Eye in the Pyramid is a coded reference to the Third Eye because it's an (eye in a triangle = 3 + I = Third Eye)

The Third Eye, IMO, represents the interconnectedness of all things - consider the TOOL song of the same name where Bill Hicks says "All matter is really energy condensed to a slow vibration - we are all one consciousness experiencing itself - there is no such thing as death - life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."

My goal in life is to become a consciousness revolution. The weapon in question is art - I see this revolution consisting not of leaders and followers but rather sources of inspiration and artists (the two are the same.) To me, the link between art and magic is a single, universal mind. The goal of this revolution is to educate rather than instruct - to be an example of what is possible rather than make people "have faith."

When this is over we will know there is no higher authority than our own Consciousness. (again I refer you to the symbolism of my avatar.)

But, history has shown me that most people reading this probably believe "Uprising" is just another example of pretentious rock stars thinking they can change the world. Or just as likely, Muse themselves don't believe what they're saying. So I ask again... How seriously do you take "Uprising"?

Are you an ulliminatist?

I think the song is writte for people to stand up for their believes and ideas, but I don't think they wan't a real revolution, but I agree with you when you say their revolution is art.

He also tries to vear away from supermarkets by raising his own chickens which is more than most of us do, but okay, he's not perfect. Who of us is? Well actually I don't eat chicken at all but I'm still far from perfect. Raising the issue is still important though. It's the issue that is important. It's pointless and irrelevant to attempt to remove the argument by discrediting the arguer. And the fact is that Muse are putting the argument out there.

:LOL: Raising chickens means that Matt's a dead-serious conspiracist?! I'm not saying he's perfect, just pointing out that he's not exactly Alex Jones, meaning that he's happy to sing about issues that concern him, but not to do something that hugely makes a difference.

Raising the issue is important, but acting on it is more so. If Gandhi had just argued his case instead of acting (non-violence etc), would he have got anywhere? If suffragettes (however you spell it) had just argued about stuff instead of taking action, would they have got anywhere? My point is, in Uprising Matt is specifically talking about taking ACTION against leaders etc. and 'rising up' against them in protest, but he's not doing that in real life. It's just a powerful concept - the masses standing for their rights. And it makes for a great anthemic song that we can all jump to at their live shows - he probably had that in his mind more than the actual argument :chuckle:

Sorry but that's bollocks.:)

Not really. For Muse it's more of a story telling thing as far as lyrical content goes. TaB is just generic, Assassin is a character thing, Uprising is just a generic protest song, Exopolitics is just a crazy conspiracy theory, where have nay of Muses lyrics contained any overt and intelligent politics?

You keep telling yourself that. What have Muse actually done then, what have they done to change anything?

As I said before, they have put the message out there, which is a lot more than a lot of mainstream rock groups have done. Matt has spoken in interviews about the corporatecracy. I don't think they have done much to change anything as yet but part of that is people's unwilllingness to listen. I related to it because it means stuff to me that I already know, but false consciousness is a hard thing to break. As Matt said, children need political education in schools.

Well, one is a resistance against the “general corporatocracy” that John Perkins describes in his book, Confessions Of An Economic Hitman, in which he shows how big corporations are far more powerful than all of our governments. The other resistance is the Gandhi-style peaceful resistance; the idea that love can cross boundaries between different religions and political views, to the point that you realise how pointless those beliefs actually are, and how those beliefs don’t define you.

Really isn't that in depth. Matt reads a book, agrees with it, bases a song on the theme. That's pretty much the extent of it.

:LOL: Raising chickens means that Matt's a dead-serious conspiracist?! I'm not saying he's perfect, just pointing out that he's not exactly Alex Jones, meaning that he's happy to sing about issues that concern him, but not to do something that hugely makes a difference.

Raising the issue is important, but acting on it is more so. If Gandhi had just argued his case instead of acting (non-violence etc), would he have got anywhere? If suffragettes (however you spell it) had just argued about stuff instead of taking action, would they have got anywhere? My point is, in Uprising Matt is specifically talking about taking ACTION against leaders etc. and 'rising up' against them in protest, but he's not doing that in real life. It's just a powerful concept - the masses standing for their rights. And it makes for a great anthemic song that we can all jump to at their live shows - he probably had that in his mind more than the actual argument :chuckle:

Give him a chance. First and foremost he's a musician. He's about reflecting culture, including it's troubles, through music. I don't expect him, tbh, to do anything more than that, but I still wouldn't dismiss it as worthless. I certainly feel the passion of protest when I listen to the music. I feel the injustice of inequality and that, to me, has its own worth of attempting to awaken people from apathy.

Archived