Have you done a degree in Social Sciences then, since you have an expert opinion on the depth of the degree?

I really am trying to get away from this argument but jeez! :LOL:

:facepalm:

I never said I had an expert opinion on the subject, just aware it takes in a lot of different subjects, so won't go as in depth as you would if you studied just one of them.

:facepalm:

I never said I had an expert opinion on the subject, just aware it takes in a lot of different subjects, so won't go as in depth as you would if you studied just one of them.

I can assure you it goes into enough depth to visit the issues Matt has referred to and obviously lots of other things. In fact my Access course on Politics and Law went into enough depth for the main thrust of it. But without that education I think a lot of people don't think about that kind of stuff, don't realise there is that level of control or that things often aren't as they seem.

I like this interview that Matt did.

I can assure you it goes into enough depth to visit the issues Matt has referred to and obviously lots of other things. In fact my Access course on Politics and Law went into enough depth for the main thrust of it. But without that education I think a lot of people don't think about that kind of stuff, don't realise there is that level of control or that things often aren't as they seem.

I like this interview that Matt did.

The people that don't care won't think about it or attempt to understand it.

I'm still not buying the rubbish about Warner being the best channel when plenty of other large bands are starting to go it alone or using smaller labels in line with their beliefs, along with the various business models that have sprung up to help people make the most of the internet revolution which is a continuation of what a majority of the DIY/Indie labels of the punk era tried to start. Bands have done what Matt was saying Muse are doing for decades and only serve to feed the majors, these companies know that stuff sells and know the "indie" tag sells (The majors would buy up indies, Warner bought up Mushroom & A&E records for a start, as well as start their own), they don't care if Muse is being "subversive" when they are making money from them. There are plenty of massive indie labels as well, Mute for example, home to Depeche Mode, who incidentally do play massive shows all over the world (Arenas, stadiums, headline huge festivals) and have just as hardcore a following, yet never approached a major to do get to that position.

Also, much in the same way politicians are lobbied, famous musicians will be as well. Keep them sweet and they'll do what the label wants.

Are we talking Ph.D.s or M.A.s here, I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to join in the discussion.

;)

I think that, because we aren't studying/have a degree in social studies, we are not smart enough to take part in this discussion.

But like I said before, one of the two people arguing is talking to a brick wall. I won't say who it is, you'll all just have to figure it out for yourself! :D

Are we talking Ph.D.s or M.A.s here, I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to join in the discussion.

;)

:chuckle: I agree it's ridiculous. No one's opinion should be discounted as unqualified whether or not the other person thinks they have superior knowledge, firstly because it's just plain arrogant, and secondly because actually no one knows the full reality in this instance.

Matt Bellamy who I believe has a few averagely graded GCSE's apart from an A* in drama, :chuckle: has the audacity;), to express some political notions in his music and interviews, and by circumstances of being a member of a hugely successful band, can share these notions with a wide audience. Personally because I agree with what he is expressing, on the whole (though not all of it) I think that has worth. How Muse are conducting their own career, is, in my mind, not totally, but mainly irrelevant to the fact that it's worth doing, though not making alternative choices could have something to do with being tied in for two more albums.

I think that, because we aren't studying/have a degree in social studies, we are not smart enough to take part in this discussion.

But like I said before, one of the two people arguing is talking to a brick wall. I won't say who it is, you'll all just have to figure it out for yourself! :D

And you have twisted the whole discussion to suit your own ends which is to make continual digs at me. It was me who was told I wasn't expert enough to have an opinion.

:chuckle: I agree it's ridiculous. No one's opinion should be discounted as unqualified whether or not the other person thinks they have superior knowledge, firstly because it's just plain arrogant, and secondly because actually no one knows the full reality in this instance.

If I'm feeling ill, anyone's opinion on what is wrong with me and how to go about treating it is just as valid as a doctor's?

There's far too many of those I can come out with. :)

If I'm feeling ill, anyone's opinion on what is wrong with me and how to go about treating it is just as valid as a doctor's?

There's far too many of those I can come out with. :)

This isn't a good argument because of what you are basing on this argument.

You appear to be basically saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that because you know some stuff about the music business, no one else's opinion on whether there is worth in Muse expressing political views, is valid.

You also appear to be saying that because you know something about the music business you understand the motivations behind Muse being on a big label and no one else's opinion is valid unless they are in the music business.

You also appear to be saying that their actions make their words worthless and no one else can have an opinion on that, or the motivations for their actions, because you have superior knowledge being a fellow musician, though, not to my knowledge, someone in their position (again correct me if I'm wrong).

Your argument of expert opinion doesn't hold up. It only holds up in knowledge of availablity of options. And none of what you have said takes away my opinion that Muse expressing their political ideas in songs is of worth.

Basically I have more important things to do then drag on with this argument tbh. Whether or not any of the above is what you mean, or whether you have another argument, I have already said what I think and you have said what you think and that's it. I stand by what I've said, unless something Muse themselves do changes my opinion, and apart from that we'll just have to agree to differ.

And PS if this is nothing more than an attempt at pisstake and windup, (because I am spotting the possibility of the use of deliberate fallacies) then please find something useful to do! :rolleyes:;)

I've been continuously pointing out the hypocrisy of expressing such views whilst at the same time working for a huge corporation and been able to back it up with fact that it's not a "necessary evil" to get any message out there.

I don't need extensive knowledge of the music industry to know that and you've yet to provide any real argument beyond your own opinion as per usual, which is surprising for someone doing a degree.

I've been continuously pointing out the hypocrisy of expressing such views whilst at the same time working for a huge corporation and been able to back it up with fact that it's not a "necessary evil" to get any message out there.

I don't need extensive knowledge of the music industry to know that and you've yet to provide any real argument beyond your own opinion as per usual, which is surprising for someone doing a degree.

They might have thought it was the best way of making their music widely know. They might not have been in a position to start their own label when they signed. They might not have been aware of the political stuff that they are now when they signed the contract and they are now tied in. They might want to protect their own interests but despite that are outraged by the overall political climate, wish it could be different, at a deeper level for everyone, and wanted to say something - not all of us can be Mother Theresa. None of that takes away from fact that doing something is better than nothing or from the fact that it's good to have the message out there.

I wonder if you live your life in such a principled way that you have the right to criticise others for what they do.

As for whether the fact they are with a big label removes their political argument because you think it's hypocritical - if a health official advises against drinking and driving because of the danger of injury to others, and then is seen leaving a pub and driving his car drunk, does that mean that his argument is invalid and it's okay to drink and drive. No - whatever you think of the health official - his argument remains and the worth of making the argument remains.

And incidentally what you are arguing here is far less incriminatory, just the fact that they are with a major label, because they thought it the best option to get their music out there, doesn't mean to me that their views on how the world works and the problems with that are invalid. Lots of us work for big companies for various different reasons, when we have the possibility of working for ourselves if we come up with the ideas and put lots of additional work into it, does that then mean that we should have no voice. I seem to remember that Matt also said that he felt getting involved in the labelling side would detract from the musical creation. That appears to be his main motivation for all he does.

And you are insufferable with your argumentation! :LOL: If you just made the argument without personal attack you might allow me to get on with other things.

As for whether the fact they are with a big label removes their political argument because you think it's hypocritical - if a health official advises against drinking and driving because of the danger of injury to others, and then is seen leaving a pub and driving his car drunk, does that mean that his argument is invalid and it's okay to drink and drive. No - whatever you think of the health official - his argument remains and the worth of making the argument remains.

And the health officer still remains a hypocrite: saying one thing doing the other.

Archived