The lyrics are nothing more than simply appealing to a crowd's sense of unity. Don't forget that most of The Resistance was built around how they would sound live. I'm sure that with Uprising being the opener and all, they chose lyrics that would best appeal to a crowd.

Sorry I don't think there is any hypocrisy and in referring to Mark Thomas I just meant that protest doesn't have to be deadly serious, not that what Muse do, in the way of protest, is on a par with him. Well Muse aren't protesting exactly, it apperas to be an attempt to reflect reality creatively, and encourage people to make themselves aware in the process.

How can you get offended about what you see as an insult of Mark Thomas or other bands with a stronger political message but be quite happy to insult Muse by calling them hypocrites?

I also can't see how you can be so sure that there is no intention of political content in the song when Matt has spoken on many occasions about his inspiration for the song being real events and has spoken about political issues, demonstrating an understanding of the power relationships at play which goes beyond a lot of people.

Unless it's a wind-up. :erm:

I've already said it's a reflection on what others are feeling!

I'm not suggesting protest or political activism has to be aggressive or violent, but Mark Thomas is deeply serious about it, just goes about it with a sense of humour, if you've ever been to his shows, you'd be aware of that, he's knows his stuff inside out. But rather than sitting about saying things to "people who won't listen", he goes out and does these things and makes people pay attention.

And "demonstrating an understanding"!? fucks sake, he's not a schooboy! :facepalm:

Seriousky, if you aren't aware of the obvious hypocrisy in the song and of Muse writing such songs whilst being a major label, you shouldn't be barging in here with your opinion and expecting anyone to give you any respect for it.

I wonder, if Matt really wanted to make a change in the world, what possible reason could he have for not saying so?

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to make a difference by just saying that that's what the song is about instead of just writing some very questionable lyrics?

"He wants them to discover it for themselves" doesn't really hold up.

this :LOL:

rich rockstars need to stick with making good music. personally, i don't wanna hear them lecturing about politics.

Bono..... really gets on my tits for this!

He also tries to vear away from supermarkets by raising his own chickens which is more than most of us do,

What the feck has this got to do with anything? If Matt was sooooo anti capitalism why does he have a big house in Italy, one in Devon, about 5 expensive sports cars and wear designer clothing?

If Matt was all about sticking it to 'The Man' he'd set up his own record label that would be run as a charity so that ALL the money it raises would be distributed to causes addressing all the political and cultural inequality in the world. He would probably wear a Che Quevara t shirt, live in a doss house and eat nothing but lentils.

Uprising is a song.... its catchy and I like to bop to it live... does it make me want to protest? Nah, unless it gets dropped of the set lists that is...

Are you an ulliminatist?

I think you mean ILLUMINATI.

Yeah everytime I hear it I make my Lego figures protest...

WIN!

I've already said it's a reflection on what others are feeling!

I'm not suggesting protest or political activism has to be aggressive or violent, but Mark Thomas is deeply serious about it, just goes about it with a sense of humour, if you've ever been to his shows, you'd be aware of that, he's knows his stuff inside out. But rather than sitting about saying things to "people who won't listen", he goes out and does these things and makes people pay attention.

And "demonstrating an understanding"!? fucks sake, he's not a schooboy! :facepalm:

Seriousky, if you aren't aware of the obvious hypocrisy in the song and of Muse writing such songs whilst being a major label, you shouldn't be barging in here with your opinion and expecting anyone to give you any respect for it.

Oh so you are saying I'm not entitled to my opinion then, unless I agree with you?!

And I was talking about the fact that Matt demonstrates an understanding beyond a lot of other people of the power relationships within goverment and our capitalist society. That's not being patronising. Many, many people don't know anything about that and are under the delusion that there's a democracy just because they vote. I only know a bit more about it because I've been taught it on courses.

You can criticise him all you like for not compromising his music career by going out there and actually organising protests, or for not sacrificing his career success in order to stick to some moral principle, but by trying to get people to think about such things, he is still doing more than many many musical artists and I think well of him for that.

What's the alternative, we all do nothing because we don't feel able to do enough? So there's no point raising issues surrounding world poverty then, unless we are all prepared to travel into the third world and provide that help first hand.

There is no point in arguing, you two. One of you is talking to a brick wall, but I won't name any names because I will probably get another infraction. :LOL:

The band themselves have pretty much said that they were pissing about during the whole recording process of this album, so I wouldn't take Uprising too seriously.

Oh so you are saying I'm not entitled to my opinion then, unless I agree with you?!

And I was talking about the fact that Matt demonstrates an understanding beyond a lot of other people of the power relationships within goverment and our capitalist society. That's not being patronising. Many, many people don't know anything about that and are under the delusion that there's a democracy just because they vote. I only know a bit more about it because I've been taught it on courses.

You can criticise him all you like for not compromising his music career by going out there and actually organising protests, or for not sacrificing his career success in order to stick to some moral principle, but by trying to get people to think about such things, he is still doing more than many many musical artists and I think well of him for that.

What's the alternative, we all do nothing because we don't feel able to do enough? So there's no point raising issues surrounding world poverty then, unless we are all prepared to travel into the third world and provide that help first hand.

As a good friend of mine recently said "...seethes when people wheel out that old platitude "everyone's opinion is just as valid as anyone else's". Is it fuck. If you are after advice on parenting skills do you ask Josef Fritzl? If you want to know which car to buy do you ask the opinion of a mechanic or an indigenous tribesman of a remote rainforest. For fucks... sake, why do I find myself surrounded by morons."

First of all, plenty of bands don't have to make sacrifices whatsoever and still able to uphold their political beliefs and have a massive music career, for others the intention isn't to be huge and make lots of money.

Bellamy is doing less than a lot of musical artists as well (I've seen Brian Eno on Question Time for a start, completely tearing apart politicians). A few songs reference idiotic conspiracy theories that can be torn apart in seconds and avoiding real world issues that actually affect people everyday isn't getting people to think or raising the issue.

As a good friend of mine recently said "...seethes when people wheel out that old platitude "everyone's opinion is just as valid as anyone else's". Is it fuck. If you are after advice on parenting skills do you ask Josef Fritzl? If you want to know which car to buy do you ask the opinion of a mechanic or an indigenous tribesman of a remote rainforest. For fucks... sake, why do I find myself surrounded by morons."

First of all, plenty of bands don't have to make sacrifices whatsoever and still able to uphold their political beliefs and have a massive music career, for others the intention isn't to be huge and make lots of money.

Bellamy is doing less than a lot of musical artists as well (I've seen Brian Eno on Question Time for a start, completely tearing apart politicians). A few songs reference idiotic conspiracy theories that can be torn apart in seconds and avoiding real world issues that actually affect people everyday isn't getting people to think or raising the issue.

Well I think it does, or can do if people will take the time to, at least, listen. And please don't give me that stuff about your expert knowledge about everything that makes your opinion more valid than anyone else's. I am doing a degree in social sciences and I happen to think that the lyrics, but even more than that, the stuff Matt has said in interviews in relation to this song are worth saying and so what if other musicians have already said it, the more the merrier!

And I can't be bothered to argue with you any more about it! :)

Well I think it does, or can do if people will take the time to, at least, listen. And please don't give me that stuff about your expert knowledge about everything that makes your opinion more valid than anyone else's. I am doing a degree in social sciences and I happen to think that the lyrics, but even more than that, the stuff Matt has said in interviews in relation to this song are worth saying.

And I can't be bothered to argue with you any more about it! :)

It's not about whether it's worth saying, as it is, but anyone can do that. It's just if you mean it, rather than an attempt at appearing intellectual, you have to act on it or at least try your best to.

Social sciences isn't an in-depth study of politics or economics. The lyrics in the song referring to the financial crisis doesn't show a deep understanding of it, as it wasn't strictly greedy bankers that caused it, they are just the villains for the media.

*giggle*

:happy:

Well don't you think I put that because Humprey appears to expect some kind of qualification to allow an opinion to be worthy enough to differ from his.

I think you only see what you want to see!

Anyway

/end of a silly argument.

It's not about whether it's worth saying, as it is, but anyone can do that. It's just if you mean it, rather than an attempt at appearing intellectual, you have to act on it or at least try your best to.

Social sciences isn't an in-depth study of politics or economics. The lyrics in the song referring to the financial crisis doesn't show a deep understanding of it, as it wasn't strictly greedy bankers that caused it, they are just the villains for the media.

Have you done a degree in Social Sciences then, since you have an expert opinion on the depth of the degree?

I really am trying to get away from this argument but jeez! :LOL:

Archived