And the health officer still remains a hypocrite: saying one thing doing the other.

Yep and inevitably leads to the question of why it's ok for that person to do it, but no one else should.

Carrie, there's a difference between being interested in furthering your career and feeling a major is the best option and claiming to be being "subversive" by signing to one in interviews and it doesn't matter whether the message is correct or how important it is, if you don't stand by it yourself, you only cheapen the value of that message and have less of an inspiration on others.

I've been continuously pointing out the hypocrisy of expressing such views whilst at the same time working for a huge corporation and been able to back it up with fact that it's not a "necessary evil" to get any message out there.

I don't need extensive knowledge of the music industry to know that and you've yet to provide any real argument beyond your own opinion as per usual, which is surprising for someone doing a degree.

I don't know that I agree. What activities does Warner Music carry out that Muse speak out against? I mean Serj Tankian is a very heavily political artist and is with Warner. It doesn't undermine his ability to speak out against American led wars and the Armenian genocide however. Nor does it necessarily undermine Muse for speaking out against "fat cats" and "they".

I don't know that I agree. What activities does Warner Music carry out that Muse speak out against? I mean Serj Tankian is a very heavily political artist and is with Warner. It doesn't undermine his ability to speak out against American led wars and the Armenian genocide however. Nor does it necessarily undermine Muse for speaking out against "fat cats" and "they".

What have Muse actually spoke out against, apart from that fat cats should have a heart attack and organisations lobby government?

Serg Tankian runs his own label and Reprise is a subsidiary of Warner, it all starts getting very complicated.

Speaking out against the activities of the American government and speaking out against corporate "fat cats" are different things entirely, as record labels aren't involved in wars. If Tankian was specifically anti-corporate/anti-capitalist and preaching about it, yet happy to accept the big advance from a huge record label and fund them through record sales etc, then there's a serious case of double standards there. :)

And you have twisted the whole discussion to suit your own ends which is to make continual digs at me. It was me who was told I wasn't expert enough to have an opinion.

It's all for the lulz. You'll have to learn to laugh at yourself sometimes, you take things way too seriously. :)

jesus. i was almost afraid to look at this thread. So pay VERY close attention to this next part... DO NOT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!!!! ...OR I WILL KILL YOU!!!

Because all i know is... you can't have a blood orgy without Marilyn Manson... That's just CRAZY.

Hi, my name is Anon. I've infiltrated your dense physical plane, and this is the Deal. Existence as a whole is alive and wants to play. . . with you. To these ends it is offering you an amazing opportunity - Gain Psychic Powers While Having Mind-Blowing Sex. DON'T LAUGH; this is as real as it gets. So let me ask you a question: Does MUSE's music make you want to have an orgy?

THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS. Matt and Co. may feel justified in wanting to 'burn down the house they're living in,' because, The Corporations love making that anti-marketing dollar. Yeaaaaass, I annihilate myself with my own anti-me. Confused? Confusion is like knowledge... if you look at it backwards....>>

http://www.disinfo.com/2010/10/the-k-om-book0/

Yep and inevitably leads to the question of why it's ok for that person to do it, but no one else should.

Carrie, there's a difference between being interested in furthering your career and feeling a major is the best option and claiming to be being "subversive" by signing to one in interviews and it doesn't matter whether the message is correct or how important it is, if you don't stand by it yourself, you only cheapen the value of that message and have less of an inspiration on others.

Tbh I'm getting rather bored with this discussion. I do know what you are getting at, but I think you are being too pedantic. People make decisions for a variety of reasons and that doesn't mean that their overall outlook is bad. Also we are talking about a record company here, not a weapon manufacturer.

Take this: I don't really agree with selective education but in my area it's selective nevertheless. So because I thought my kids would probably do better at grammar schools I bought the relevant books to help them get them through their 11+. That doesn't mean that I have changed my opinion that ultimately selective education is unfair and affects children's opportunities by judging them too early and producing in them a sense of failure. I was aware of the compromise on principle and you might think it a double standard but I was just looking out for my kids.

I would imagine that Muse signed to Warner because they thought at the time it would be their best option to get their music out there. That doesn't mean that they support the power of big companies on governments or think it shouldn't be different. Matt has even suggested alternative ideas to override record companies in the ISP thread. And to me it doesn't make the points they are making about capitalism less valid.

This degree shit is bollocks btw, I know people who can tell you every fact about a subject and have read more books than anyone about anything, yet don't have degrees. Likewise people who do have degrees yet know fuck all about the subject they're meant to have studied. Educational diplomas =/= that person has more knowledge on a subject. Just, no way.

Well if I don't answer, I will get accused of avoiding the argument! I know how it goes. ;)

Good point.

I do still find it remarkably funny that this argument between the two of you started at all. Who would've thought that a song partially recorded in the crapper would spawn an argument that was crap? :LOL:

Tbh I'm getting rather bored with this discussion. I do know what you are getting at, but I think you are being too pedantic. People make decisions for a variety of reasons and that doesn't mean that their overall outlook is bad. Also we are talking about a record company here, not a weapon manufacturer.

Take this: I don't really agree with selective education but in my area it's selective nevertheless. So because I thought my kids would probably do better at grammar schools I bought the relevant books to help them get them through their 11+. That doesn't mean that I have changed my opinion that ultimately selective education is unfair and affects children's opportunities by judging them too early and producing in them a sense of failure. I was aware of the compromise on principle and you might think it a double standard but I was just looking out for my kids.

I would imagine that Muse signed to Warner because they thought at the time it would be their best option to get their music out there. That doesn't mean that they support the power of big companies on governments or think it shouldn't be different. Matt has even suggested alternative ideas to override record companies in the ISP thread. And to me it doesn't make the points they are making about capitalism less valid.

Ok, a necessary evil/going against principles when you have no alternatives is understandable and there's plenty of examples where people have to do that, but we're talking about selling music and fame & fortune here and Warner will have been pushing governments for legislation on issues such as "illegal downloading", which we have seen being passed as law.

There are plenty of other bands starting to use or always were alternate ways of selling their music, if at all and it's something that's been going on for decades. Something like the Crass label was never about signing bands to make money from them, it was about educating bands in how to run themselves so they didn't have to resort to major labels/distribution and actively spoke out against bands who tried to claim to be anti-corporate whilst signing to majors because it got them on TV/Radio and more fame (It didn't necessarily earn them more money as a 50/50 split with an indie could turn to 90/10 to a major). That was the late 70's and coincidentally one of the biggest completely independent labels going today come out of all that (Mute records).

I think you're seeing it from too much of an angle of a Muse fan, imagine *insert any major label artist selling records by the bucketloads* coming out and saying the same things and it does feel uncomfortable as who do these people actually represent beyond themselves, who are they speaking for and fundamentally; are they correct?

And that is hypothetical by the way, but it's why a lot of musicians will avoid politics within their music, as it is a moral minefield, although some use politics to sell records...

Anyway, my point still stands. If there was any real anti-corporate message that would cause damage to Warner, it would never have been released (Even though Muse might have full artistic control, doesn't mean Warner have to release it), but it was, so I highly doubt Warner have any concerns about Muse being "subversive" and quite happy for it to sell bucketloads all over the world. :)

I agree. George bush had a few degrees and hes still, imo, the epitome of stupidity

I dare say a lot of the bankers who caused the mess we're in have degrees, and Oxbridge degrees at that and I met lots of people during my time at uni who were stupid...they just so happened to be good at a particular subject and had an arrogant streak so succeeded in getting their own way. I wasn't surprised when the banking system collapsed having met some of the people who were no doubt going to go into the financial sector after uni!

I have a social science degree :phu:

There's some srs bsnss discussion STILL over whether or not I do. So much literature basically saying "is history a social science?" and nobody has come up with the answer :LOL:

Um as for Uprising...I'm too tired to say much right now. My initial thought is "it's just a song...lol" basically. :LOL:

There's some srs bsnss discussion STILL over whether or not I do. So much literature basically saying "is history a social science?" and nobody has come up with the answer :LOL:

Um as for Uprising...I'm too tired to say much right now. My initial thought is "it's just a song...lol" basically. :LOL:

Muse lyrics = bollocks 90% of the time. Matt just got bored writing songs about not getting laid/relationships etc and decided to go for politics. I don't really take any of his lyrics seriously really.

As for History, yeah i'd say it's a social science. But then I had to do a module in called 'What is Geography?' which was pointless :LOL:

Archived