It's my 2nd Muse song ever because it's my favourite string arrangement Matt has ever written, I think it's a great mix of electronic beats and strings+choir, and I love the overall mood and the apocalyptic feel of the track. It's no ordinary soundtrack.

I think Isolated System is great, it's probably one of the most atmospheric song Matt's ever written

Someone said it was like a part of a soundtrack that he loves and you added "and nothing more". What is the difference?

The difference is I agreed on this, but I wasn't the one who mentioned it first. And for me ' a PART of a soundtrack that I would love' is not enough for being obsessed with it. And, a soundtrack is something that can only be perceived in the context of the film. But as a song or a track itself it usually loses its meaning. It's neither good nor bad. I mean soundtrack is always associated with the film, while a song/track exists solely.

The difference is I agreed on this, but I wasn't the one who mentioned it first. And for me ' a PART of a soundtrack that I would love' is not enough for being obsessed with it. And, a soundtrack is something that can only be perceived in the context of the film. But as a song or a track itself it usually loses its meaning. It's neither good nor bad. I mean soundtrack is always associated with the film, while a song/track exists solely.

Oh yes. As it's associated with the film.

I'm gonna be honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're on about.

I'm gonna be honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're on about.

I am not surprised. Do you find IS itself atmospheric? Or it gives you this feeling (if it does) because this track is going alongside the film? The film plus IS definitely has an atmosphere. Solely IS? I doubt.

Edited by SpiralStatic1

I am not surprised. Do you find IS itself atmospheric? Or it gives you this feeling (if it does) because this track is going alongside the film? The film plus IS definitely has an atmosphere. Solely IS? I doubt.

Flash news: we heard the song long before the movie came out. So stop it, IS is probably the most atmospheric Muse song ever.

I know you didn't write the actual post that said it, but agreeing with it is no different. It's a meaningless differentiation to make.

And you say "can only" and then "usually". Which one is it. Is it ALWAYS the case that it can only be perceived in the context of the film, or is it just usually like that?

And I'd say that soundtracks often have a capability of delivering a message without a movie. I mean, you can't tell me that you don't recognise a movie situation where something is about to go to hell before it even happens just because of the soundtrack.

Not to mention the fact that the music usually is what sets the mood for a scene. If we're scared it's because they're playing a scary soundtrack to someone walking slowly. If we're sad it's usually because the crying characters are accompanied by a sad song.

I'd say that we've all heard enough soundtracks to be perfectly aware of what emotions it's trying to convey.

I know you didn't write the actual post that said it, but agreeing with it is no different. It's a meaningless differentiation to make.

And you say "can only" and then "usually". Which one is it. Is it ALWAYS the case that it can only be perceived in the context of the film, or is it just usually like that?

And I'd say that soundtracks often have a capability of delivering a message without a movie. I mean, you can't tell me that you don't recognise a movie situation where something is about to go to hell before it even happens just because of the soundtrack.

Not to mention the fact that the music usually is what sets the mood for a scene. If we're scared it's because they're playing a scary soundtrack to someone walking slowly. If we're sad it's usually because the crying characters are accompanied by a sad song.

I'd say that we've all heard enough soundtracks to be perfectly aware of what emotions it's trying to convey.

I've always loved Isolated System. Very atmospheric. Very trancy, very powerful and epic yet subdued.

Yeah, I don't fanboy over it or anything but I think IS is very atmospheric. I've thought that ever since the album first came out, long before World War Z (which I haven't even seen tbh). Hell, even if I was listening to a song from a soundtrack, I could still find it atmospheric in of itself without thinking of it's context within the film, Ennio Morricone's work being a good example.

I remember some movie where the director decided to due scenes of people doing mundane things with no soundtrack so you weren't directly told what the scene was building up for.

And IS has a pretty simple but present atmosphere to it.

Alien is a good example, when Tom Skerritt's character goes looking for the cat. Zero music, plenty if atmosphere, you're already freaked the fuck out even though nothing is happening yet.

Yeah, I don't fanboy over it or anything but I think IS is very atmospheric. I've thought that ever since the album first came out, long before World War Z (which I haven't even seen tbh). Hell, even if I was listening to a song from a soundtrack, I could still find it atmospheric in of itself without thinking of it's context within the film, Ennio Morricone's work being a good example.

I wasn't arguing against a soundtrack can be atmospheric. Ennio Morricone is definitely an example. I love Dario Marianelli's works or Denny Elfman's works, for example. I was skeptical about IS though... Ok. I'll listen to it again...