Explorers

No really, it's an awesome song. It's just a quiet, peacefull, space lullaby. Probably not the most fun song played live, but still, can't wait for Rome release.

I think "space lullaby" is a great description.

It was my second choice hope for piano song, after Sunburn.

Came up on my playlist while I was driving home at 2am the other night, and I fell asleep so fast after that my head almost hit the steering wheel. :eek:

And you say "can only" and then "usually". Which one is it. Is it ALWAYS the case that it can only be perceived in the context of the film, or is it just usually like that?

And I'd say that soundtracks often have a capability of delivering a message without a movie. I mean, you can't tell me that you don't recognise a movie situation where something is about to go to hell before it even happens just because of the soundtrack.

Not to mention the fact that the music usually is what sets the mood for a scene.

If we're scared it's because they're playing a scary soundtrack to someone walking slowly. If we're sad it's usually because the crying characters are accompanied by a sad song.

I'd say that we've all heard enough soundtracks to be perfectly aware of what emotions it's trying to convey.

What I say is a soundtrack, in most of the cases, can only be perceived in the context of a film. There are only few of them that work as separate pieces. And IS, in my opinion, isn't one of them.

Secondly, you are saying "soundtracks often have a capability of delivering a message without a movie", but then you give an example that only proves my point: "a movie situation where something is about to go to hell before it even happens just because of the soundtrack." A movie situation? So we are referring to a film as a context, aren't we? Next, " not to mention the fact that the music usually is what sets the mood for a scene." Definitely. All the time. This is the reason for using soundtracks. And again - it works in the context of the film. So, i don't understand what are you arguing against. I agreed that IS works well within the context of that film, while it's not that impressive as a separate piece. Not because it is a soundtrack. But because this soundtrack is not strong enough.

Edited by SpiralStatic1

What I say is a soundtrack, in most of the cases, can only be perceived in the context of a film. There are only few of them that work as separate pieces. And IS, in my opinion, isn't one of them.

Secondly, you are saying "soundtracks often have a capability of delivering a message without a movie", but then you give an example that only proves my point: "a movie situation where something is about to go to hell before it even happens just because of the soundtrack." A movie situation? So we are referring to a film as a context, aren't we? Next, " not to mention the fact that the music usually is what sets the mood for a scene." Definitely. All the time. This is the reason for using soundtracks. And again - it works in the context of the film. So, i don't understand what are you arguing against. I agreed that IS works well within the context of that film, while it's not that impressive as a separate piece. Not because it is a soundtrack. But because this soundtrack is not strong enough.

But IS IS a separate piece. It wasn't part of a soundtrack until AFTER it was written and released?

Wow, quite missing the point. If we can tell that something bad is gonna happen in a movie before it happens because of the soundtrack, that means that the soundtrack delivers the feeling of danger, not the movie. Thus the soundtrack delivers that feeling WITHOUT the help of the movie. Jesus Christ.

I'm saying that soundtracks can work just as well outside of a movie as it does within it. Which is kindly proven to us as listening to soundtracks alone can create feelings of fear, sadness and whatnot.

But IS IS a separate piece. It wasn't part of a soundtrack until AFTER it was written and released?

Wow, quite missing the point. If we can tell that something bad is gonna happen in a movie before it happens because of the soundtrack, that means that the soundtrack delivers the feeling of danger, not the movie. Thus the soundtrack delivers that feeling WITHOUT the help of the movie. Jesus Christ.

I'm saying that soundtracks can work just as well outside of a movie as it does within it. Which is kindly proven to us as listening to soundtracks alone can create feelings of fear, sadness and whatnot.

IS was made as a separate piece? Didn't know that. Are you sure? And your previous post doesn't prove your point at all. "If we can tell that something bad is gonna happen in a movie before it happens because of the soundtrack, that means that the soundtrack delivers the feeling of danger, not the movie"? But at this fucking moment you ARE already watching a film. You are perfectly aware of what this film is about and that already makes a context. You EXPECT something from the scene and a soundtrack only intensifies this, but not makes this. So, don't tell me i am missing the point. You don't understand what I mean again. And this is exactly what I was gonna ask: do you enjoy listening to soundtracks? You do? But without knowing about the movie this soundtrack was made for?

Edited by SpiralStatic1

IS was made as a separate piece? Didn't know that. Are you sure?

Man are you trolling?

Are you aware that Isolated System came out in october 2012, on the album The 2nd Law,, while the movie in which the song features as soundtrack, called World War Z, came out in june 2013?

IS was made as a separate piece? Didn't know that. Are you sure? And your previous post doesn't prove your point at all. "If we can tell that something bad is gonna happen in a movie before it happens because of the soundtrack, that means that the soundtrack delivers the feeling of danger, not the movie"? But at this fucking moment you ARE already watching a film. You are perfectly aware of what this film is about and that already makes a context. You EXPECT something from the scene and a soundtrack only intensifies this, but not makes this. So, don't tell me i am missing the point. You don't understand what I mean again. And this is exactly what I was gonna ask: do you enjoy listening to soundtracks? You do? But without knowing about the movie this soundtrack was made for?

Sorry to interject, but I run into the questions you posed. I listen to a lot of soundtracks, and people ask me how I can listen to them as music.

I believe you are correct that some composers create background noise and some put enough effort into the music in order to allow it to stand alone with it's own character. I prefer to listen to the latter as a means to spur creativity with how the music takes me out of my normal comfort zone. I like to write fiction, and listening to a soundtrack without having knowledge of how the music was used to create my own stories.

Unfortunately, I do think IS can stand on its own when complete, but sampling, as it was used in the movie, turned it into background noise. In all honesty, I prefer Unsustainable over IS.

If the context is so important then why does removing the soundtrack usually leave the viewer confused as to what will happen next? It's a regularly used tactic to create confusion.

Also I first played the Halo series of games just cause I liked the soundtrack. It gave a pretty good idea of what mood the games would be in.

lol

And you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. There are suspenseful soundtrack moments in love dramas. There are scary moments in action movies. And you can find ALL of the classic soundtrack emotions in a comedy. I really do hate the "I know this because I have a degree in..." card but really, I've studied both movie- and music production at university level. And I've also studied creative writing with focus on movie scripts.

If you heard a suspenseful and buildup-like piece during a random conversation in a movie, you would automatically think "oooh damn, shit is about to go down". This has a lot to do with the fact that we already associate certain sounds to certain emotions due to hearing them in loads of movies before, obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that today, you can hear for example this

and KNOW that it's building up for a climax. You don't need the movie to tell you that. In fact, I can't even remember the song in the movie.

And I don't really listen to soundtracks that often unless I've seen the movie, since I'm not really being made aware of them in the same way as other releases by ordinary bands. But I have been linked to several pieces of soundtracks by friends and been able to feel both sad and slightly scared among other things without ever having seen a second of the movie.

Here's a soundtrack to a movie I've never seen(sadly). But jump to any random point in the video and you will immediately get a feeling of what could be going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q93p2_QgjU Here's an even better example. 3 min into it you hear a song that is most likely an introduction of something. You're supposed to be impressed. They're showing something off. Then at 3.30 you get a sense of danger. Maybe some evil has shown itself, a main character has possibly been injured?

Jump forward to 12.15. Suspense, quickly leading into what is possibly a very intense fight scene. The sudden strokes and horn blows are quite possibly something like fist punches. At least it goes along to something that happens in the movie.

29.50, a climax, something is obviously coming to an end, and it suggest a happy ending. But straight after that it leads into what could either be sadness, or relief. Something is over, and now we see the end result.

Meh, can't bother to go on. But this is a soundtrack that both gives me an idea of the movie, but also something that I can enjoy on its own. Note that I haven't seen the movie and might be wrong on some of these, it's not exactly bulletproof facts.

EDIT: 32.50 oh shit IT'S NOT OVER.

Here's a soundtrack to a movie I've never seen(sadly). But jump to any random point in the video and you will immediately get a feeling of what could be going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q93p2_QgjU Here's an even better example. 3 min into it you hear a song that is most likely an introduction of something. You're supposed to be impressed. They're showing something off. Then at 3.30 you get a sense of danger. Maybe some evil has shown itself, a main character has possibly been injured?

Jump forward to 12.15. Suspense, quickly leading into what is possibly a very intense fight scene. The sudden strokes and horn blows are quite possibly something like fist punches. At least it goes along to something that happens in the movie.

29.50, a climax, something is obviously coming to an end, and it suggest a happy ending. But straight after that it leads into what could either be sadness, or relief. Something is over, and now we see the end result.

Meh, can't bother to go on. But this is a soundtrack that both gives me an idea of the movie, but also something that I can enjoy on its own. Note that I haven't seen the movie and might be wrong on some of these, it's not exactly bulletproof facts.

EDIT: 32.50 oh shit IT'S NOT OVER.

That's all great. I haven't said that a soundtrack cannot be atmospheric on its own. I've said that usually (not all of them) soundtracks can only be perceived within the context of a film. And IS system is one of those soundtracks, in my opinion. However, there are soundtracks that exist as separate pieces and I gave the examples of composers that I, personally, enjoy very much. One of those that you brought up is one of my favorite. Are we still talking about IS? Because that was my original point: IS is only an ordinary soundtrack that exists within the context only (in my opinion!). Although, I don't deny that that a soundtrack can be a masterpiece on its own.

That's all great. I haven't said that a soundtrack cannot be atmospheric on its own. I've said that usually (not all of them) soundtracks can only be perceived within the context of a film. And IS system is one of those soundtracks, in my opinion. However, there are soundtracks that exist as separate pieces and I gave the examples of composers that I, personally, enjoy very much. One of those that you brought up is one of my favorite. Are we still talking about IS? Because that was my original point: IS is only an ordinary soundtrack that exists within the context only (in my opinion!). Although, I don't deny that that a soundtrack can be a masterpiece on its own.

You are welcome to give me an example of a soundtrack that I can't properly perceive without the film.

And IS isn't a goddamn soundtrack. It's a song that was used in a movie over half a year after its release.

He's a bad troll. (In my opinion!)

That's not an opinion. That's factually wrong. IS existed exclusively in the context of T2L for months and it was perfectly fine that way.

If you still argue with him after stating that, then he really isn't a BAD troll.

People generally seem to miss the point of trolling. It's to get people involved into nonsense that he doesn't really agree with or care about. And if that was the intention, then he has definitely succeeded.

OT: I feel like I've typed this before, but fucking Con-Science.

I can only listen to it when I'm seriously depressed, and therefore I'm always sort of stumbling into how absolutely amazing it can be.

OffT:

I'm not one to sit around listening to instrumental movie soundtracks, either. (Although I will admit to having one or two video game soundtracks in my possession.)

It's just not my thing.

However, IS, in the fucking context of the album it was written for is atmospheric and amazing.

It's completely wrong to say that it's a "basic soundtrack song" because it was in no way intended to be that.

It would be fair to maybe say that after seeing it in the movie, you associate it with it now, but that's not even close to being the same.

In fact, I just saw WWZ for the first time the other night, and with the exception of the intro montage, I didn't think the song really worked in most of the scenes it was shoehorned into.

Why? Probably because it wasn't written for the film...

OT: I feel like I've typed this before, but fucking Con-Science.

I can only listen to it when I'm seriously depressed, and therefore I'm always sort of stumbling into how absolutely amazing it can be.

OffT:

I'm not one to sit around listening to instrumental movie soundtracks, either. (Although I will admit to having one or two video game soundtracks in my possession.)

It's just not my thing.

However, IS, in the fucking context of the album it was written for is atmospheric and amazing.

It's completely wrong to say that it's a "basic soundtrack song" because it was in no way intended to be that.

It would be fair to maybe say that after seeing it in the movie, you associate it with it now, but that's not even close to being the same.

In fact, I just saw WWZ for the first time the other night, and with the exception of the intro montage, I didn't think the song really worked in most of the scenes it was shoehorned into.

I like soundtracks, mostly for writing fiction, and there really are two kinds - background noise and full compositions. IS by itself is a full song, but you're right. It was inserted in the movie to be a theme piece, to kind of alert the audience - "pay attention" - but the sampling turned it from music into noise.

OT:

OffT:

It's just not my thing.

No. Because the film is just as poorly made as this soundtrack is primitive. "Probably because it wasn't written for the film...")))))))) lots of soundtracks were not made for the films in which they were used and worked perfectly, however, still being independent compositions. I just asked if IS was made as a soundtrack. It wasn't? Well, fine." It's completely wrong to say that it's a "basic soundtrack song" because it was in no way intended to be that." There is no "because". It's definitely a basic, monotonous and absolutely ordinary soundtrack even if it wasn't intended to be so. This is the cause. Not the effect. However, i have noticed here some problems with identifying them...

If you still argue with him after stating that, then he really isn't a BAD troll.

People generally seem to miss the point of trolling. It's to get people involved into nonsense that he doesn't really agree with or care about. And if that was the intention, then he has definitely succeeded.

How can YOU say this? I only asked how is being obsessed with IS possible while it's absolutely a soundtrack for me and i don't find it's atmospheric on its own. You, as usually, tried to persuade me that MY opinion about a song that I(!) like/dislike is wrong. Going into long discussion of the meaning and purpose a soundtrack in a film. And now you are saying that I was the one who involve people in useless conversations? Unbelievable.

No. Because the film is just as poorly made as this soundtrack is primitive. "Probably because it wasn't written for the film...")))))))) lots of soundtracks were not made for the films in which they were used and worked perfectly, however, still being independent compositions. I just asked if IS was made as a soundtrack. It wasn't? Well, fine." It's completely wrong to say that it's a "basic soundtrack song" because it was in no way intended to be that." There is no "because". It's definitely a basic, monotonous and absolutely ordinary soundtrack even if it wasn't intended to be so. This is the cause. Not the effect. However, i have noticed here some problems with identifying them...

IS is not a soundtrack, that's all. Stop saying otherwise.