IS is not a soundtrack, that's all. Stop saying otherwise.

It's definitely a basic, monotonous and absolutely ordinary soundtrack even if it wasn't intended to be so. .

(( He meant that IS sounds like a track that could be used in a film (and eventually it was)... in his opinion

Just the wrong choice of words... . .

edit: track that was used in a film = soundtrack (?)

Edited by Strangeseas

How can YOU say this? I only asked how is being obsessed with IS possible while it's absolutely a soundtrack for me and i don't find it's atmospheric on its own. You, as usually, tried to persuade me that MY opinion about a song that I(!) like/dislike is wrong. Going into long discussion of the meaning and purpose a soundtrack in a film. And now you are saying that I was the one who involve people in useless conversations? Unbelievable.

Learn to read. I wasn't calling you a troll, and you even missed my point about what a troll does.

But without knowing about the movie this soundtrack was made for?

Err, in some cases yeah. It's made me really want to see those movies, but that doesn't negate the fact that I really liked them.

And Sippe's right, you've got the IS thing completely arse about face. Besides, since when does being quiet and downbeat make something automatically "soundtrack"?

I think I've listened to more soundtracks than I've seen movies. When an artist I like scores a movie, I'll definitely listen to the soundtrack but that doesn't mean I'll watch the film.

This is what I do as well. That's why basically I watched World War Z. As I don't really like those type of movies. And, i didn't do that because I liked IS so much or found it atmospheric or smth. Just because they used Muse's work. And I had heard it before I have watched the film. I wasn't impressed in any way. While after watching it I have been convinced that using it as a soundtrack is the best solution. This is what I meant.

(( He meant that IS sounds like a track that could be used in a film (and eventually it was)... in his opinion

Just the wrong choice of words... . .

edit: track that was used in a film = soundtrack (?)

Yeah. This is kind of what I meant. And yes, a track that was used in a film, eventually becomes a soundtrack. As I said in my reply to FabriPav above. I wasn't impressed by IS at all when I first listened to it. After watching the film I thought it was the best solution of using IS. I mean for me it's only an ordinary soundtrack.

And Sippe's right, you've got the IS thing completely arse about face. Besides, since when does being quiet and downbeat make something automatically "soundtrack"?

I think he means "instrumental" and just isn't saying that...

This is what I do as well. That's why basically I watched World War Z. As I don't really like those type of movies. And, i didn't do that because I liked IS so much or found it atmospheric or smth. Just because they used Muse's work. And I had heard it before I have watched the film. I wasn't impressed in any way. While after watching it I have been convinced that using it as a soundtrack is the best solution. This is what I meant.

You just don't make yourself very clear, I'm afraid. :(

I would have absolutely put money down that you hadn't heard IS before seeing WWZ, the way you were talking.

If you would have said you didn't see how people could get so into an instrumental song, that could have been more clear.

I would even agree that instrumental music just isn't my thing usually, but for some reason IS really appeals to me.

Or maybe Muse really opened my eyes to seeing instrumental tracks as more than "filler" or "background music."

But, at the end of the day IS is very different from a "soundtrack" song, even if just because it was meant to be listened to without backing up a movie.

There's also validity to saying that after seeing a song in a movie, it's hard to NOT see it as a "soundtrack," I suppose, or I might not still cringe when I hear SMBH.

I think he means "instrumental" and just isn't saying that...

You just don't make yourself very clear, I'm afraid. :(

I would have absolutely put money down that you hadn't heard IS before seeing WWZ, the way you were talking.

If you would have said you didn't see how people could get so into an instrumental song, that could have been more clear.

I would even agree that instrumental music just isn't my thing usually, but for some reason IS really appeals to me.

Or maybe Muse really opened my eyes to seeing instrumental tracks as more than "filler" or "background music."

But, at the end of the day IS is very different from a "soundtrack" song, even if just because it was meant to be listened without backing up a movie. There's also validity to saying that after seeing a song in a movie, it's hard to NOT see it as a "soundtrack," I suppose, or I might not still cringe when I hear SMBH.

Oh... Of course I heard IS before watching. When was T2ndL released? Somewhat in october? I listened to it immediately, and was really frustrated by it. IS didn't gain my attention at all. So, yes, I became more aware of this track after I've known It was used in a film. But before I watched it.

And you still don't get what I mean by saying that IS is nothing more than a soundtrack. It's not because IS is instrumental or quiet or whatever. I think, it's quite a weak composition on its own, while in the film it fitted well. And I haven't said and I don't think that (despite all your attempts to twist my words) a soundtrack itself can never ever be an independent composition. IS just isn't so.

As I repeated around 100 times.

Oh... Of course I heard IS before watching. When was T2ndL released? Somewhat in october? I listened to it immediately, and was really frustrated by it. IS didn't gain my attention at all. So, yes, I became more aware of this track after I've known It was used in a film. But before I watched it.

And you still don't get what I mean by saying that IS is nothing more than a soundtrack. It's not because IS is instrumental or quiet or whatever. I think, it's quite a weak composition on its own, while in the film it fitted well. And I haven't said and I don't think that (despite all your attempts to twist my words) a soundtrack itself can never ever be an independent composition. IS just isn't so.

Why didn't you just say that then? You don't like IS but you think it worked well in the film? I still have no idea what you mean by soundtrack though. Surely the soundtrack of a film is the collective term for all the tracks used in the film, be they instrumental or otherwise.

Why didn't you just say that then? You don't like IS but you think it worked well in the film? I still have no idea what you mean by soundtrack though. Surely the soundtrack of a film is the collective term for all the tracks used in the film, be they instrumental or otherwise.

No, I stated very clearly everything I think. Yes, it worked well within the film, much better than as a separate piece, imo. And this is what I've been saying since the beginning. Before going into discussing all the soundtracks that ever existed.

No, I stated very clearly everything I think. Yes, it worked well within the film, much better than as a separate piece, imo. And this is what I've been saying since the beginning. Before going into discussing all the soundtracks that ever existed.

The problem is that you WEREN'T clear. You said that IS was an ordinary soundtrack that only worked within the context of the film, and you also claimed not to know that IS had been released as a piece separate from the soundtrack before...while then claiming that you obviously knew that it was a separate piece long before and had heard it on Muse's latest album.

It's time for another episode of "point out where SpiralStatic1 contradicts himself".

I never implied something like that. Soundtracks can be masterpiece. I just asked why was someone obsessed with IS in particular while it's only a ordinary soundtrack.
This was one of your first posts on the subject, replying to someone who simply said he liked the song and YOU brought up the soundtrack thing.

And, a soundtrack is something that can only be perceived in the context of the film.

hmm...

Maybe, if no one ever can properly work out what you are actually saying half of the time, the problem isn't with the reader?

It wasn't clear. You make a clear point but then surround it with absolute nonsense, which means that nobody can understand what exactly it is you said in the first place. What does the bit I've coloured red mean, for example? Do you mean that Isolated System is a good song when it's in the context of a movie, i.e. the song supports the action on and screen but on its own, the song is poor because it doesn't evoke the same response?

The problem is that you WEREN'T clear. You said that IS was an ordinary soundtrack that only worked within the context of the film, and you also claimed not to know that IS had been released as a piece separate from the soundtrack before...while then claiming that you obviously knew that it was a separate piece long before and had heard it on Muse's latest album.

It's time for another episode of "point out where SpiralStatic1 contradicts himself".

This was one of your first posts on the subject, replying to someone who simply said he liked the song and YOU brought up the soundtrack thing.

hmm...

Maybe, if no one ever can properly work out what you are actually saying half of the time, the problem isn't with the reader?

No, I just use lots of sarcasm, often cynicism and intensify sometimes too much. That's why it may be difficult to get. And because of the language specialities. So, where is contradiction? All my previous posts are saying the same thing in different words. Ok, except that one, where I said that soundtracks can only be perceived within the context of the film". I was NOT referring to the all-ever soundtracks. But lots if them (IS included).

And I knew IS was released in their latest album. Just several months before it was released in WWZ. Do you know for how long films are being made? Especially those high-budget blockbusters as this one? For a long time. Much longer than 6 months. So, I think IS could have been originally created for the film, however, was released earlier as a part of T2ndL.

And I knew IS was released in their latest album. Just several months before it was released in WWZ. Do you know for how long films are being made? Especially those high-budget blockbusters as this one? For a long time. Much longer than 6 months. So, I think IS could have been originally created for the film, however, was released earlier as a part of T2ndL.

sure bb

If that was the case, it would have been STATED. There is no reason for them to keep that a secret.

tumblr_mtmedkGkKh1s6slqvo1_400.gif

Did they have any particular reason even mention it? Some people ask questions like: "do you think Dom wrote Unsustainable?", while not mentioning a thing like this would be illegal. Contrary, there is nothing so special about it (IS). It's possible thar they created IS as a soundtrack for WWZ. And released it as a track in T2ndLaw. Why not?

Did they have any particular reason even mention it? Some people ask questions like: "do you think Dom wrote Unsustainable?", while not mentioning a thing like this would be illegal. Contrary, there is nothing so special about it (IS). It's possible thar they created IS as a soundtrack for WWZ. And released it as a track in T2ndLaw. Why not?

Because they've made a million promotion interviews and it would be retarded not to mention that one song was made to be a part of a soundtrack of a movie.

Just like they mentioned over and over that there was a song "written for" the Olympics in there.

Why would they mention Survival in every interview but not IS?

And on top of that, even the Muse.mu site mentions the whole thing by saying that "the new film 'World War Z' which features the band's music". Seriously, if it was written for the movie, it would have been mentioned somewhere.

Because they said they didn't? And because they've said a few times what it's supposed to be "about."

I believe Matt also indicated they had ASKED him to do the score, but he didn't have time, and they just used an existing song. Why wouldn't he have mentioned it then?

Because they said they didn't? And because they've said a few times what it's supposed to be "about."

I believe Matt also indicated they had ASKED him to do the score, but he didn't have time, and they just used an existing song. Why wouldn't he have mentioned it then?

Ok, then. I just expected it to be otherwise. So, anyway, i think, IS works better as a soundtrack as it's quite ordinary a pice of work on its own, I'd say.