I sort of had a reverse rediscovery experience with Aftermath today. As in, I recently rediscovered how crap it is.

Spotify tossed it in the mix and when I heard the weird chanting intro it only sounded only vaguely familiar to me (I'm pretty sure I can recognize pretty much any other muse song within one second). As with the first time I heard it, the intro sounded really promising. I got that excited feeling you get when you rediscover an awesome song that somehow fell of the radar. And then I realized what it was and had to skip to something else.. Sad.

SAD

Never sure how much we can discuss these sort of things but someone asked Elle on Instagram earlier about a song she'd like to see come back and she responded with Cave. She also mentioned "some old songs I love, Matt says will never come back."

I liked jazz cave, it'd be cool to see the guitar version again sometime. Half a step down of course.

Last night:

Supremacy

Panic Station

Follow Me

Unsustainable

Just now:

Take A Bow

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of the Problematique

Assassin

Exo-Politics

Some were better than ever, others I was just reminded of their greatness. Most interesting is how I no longer care so much about the wubs in Follow Me, and I’ve come to really appreciate its infectiousness and Matt’s vocal. I guess even at their worst, Muse manage to win me over in the end. I must be a superfan!

And again:

Apocalypse Please

Sing For Absolution

Hysteria

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

Ruled By Secrecy

I think for whatever reason TDS really opened my ears anew to what was so special in the first place about Muse building rock/pop songs around romantic/classical arpeggios given an electronic twist. Now I'm hearing them all again like I hadn't heard them before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Never got the hate for Feeling Good. It's a great cover, the definitive version of the song imo.

Think it’s mainly that it doesn’t really fit on Origin, which I can agree with tbf, and stuck around as a staple for a looong time despite being kinda flat (though even that was better than the most recent performances). Mad to think that nowadays, a more recent fan would probs take it as a great surprise in a set.

Think it’s mainly that it doesn’t really fit on Origin, which I can agree with tbf, and stuck around as a staple for a looong time despite being kinda flat (though even that was better than the most recent performances). Mad to think that nowadays, a more recent fan would probs take it as a great surprise in a set.

That makes sense. I wouldn't know about its live history since I've only been a fan since about 2012 or so.

Feeling Good

Absolute banger, such a unique jazzy/blues alt. rock vibe in their discography. By miles their best cover and would fit in so well on the ST tour, just a tragedy it’s shocking live nowadays.

I'm 80% sure it's coming back for the stadium gigs.

What's been the issue with it live? I've not listened to a live version since the T2L gigs I saw in 2013.

I'm 80% sure it's coming back for the stadium gigs.

What's been the issue with it live? I've not listened to a live version since the T2L gigs I saw in 2013.

will always be the example I post but there may well be worse.

Just so slow, ploddy, flat, lacking any energy or power combined with Matt’s more recent (for then at least, not saying this tour will be the same) shortness of breath and wince-worthy switch to falsetto for the big “freedom is mine” and outro. Just, like, a legit sad rendition.

Edited by Jobby

Yeah I recently re-listened to FG having not bothered in years. Its a pretty good tune covered in a very fine way, but I think the problem was that it hung around live for too long. Was fine on the Black Holes tour but keeping it in the mix for Resistance, T2L and Drones even when the use of piano songs in the show kept falling was excessive.