Goldsmith - More Muse or the concert business will die in 5 years.

a-museing

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/goldsmith-more-muse-or-the-concert-business-will-die-in-five-years_1154561

Concert mastermind HARVEY GOLDSMITH has called on music executives to find more groups like MUSE if they want to put on huge live events and big tours - or risk another disastrous summer of cancelled shows and poor ticket sales.

The Live Aid promoter admits he's not surprised that 2010 has been a flat year for festivals and concert tours - because there are only a handful of bands and artists big enough to command sell outs and success.

He tells CelebrityAccess.com, "The only kind of stadium star or arena-plus star act that has come through recently is Muse. That’s it. Both here in Britain and in America. We need more of them.

"We need to have, as I have said time and time again, new promoters with new ideas, building new acts up so they become the new superstars. Without that, within five years’ time, there will not be a business."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/goldsmith-more-muse-or-the-concert-business-will-die-in-five-years_1154561

Concert mastermind HARVEY GOLDSMITH has called on music executives to find more groups like MUSE if they want to put on huge live events and big tours - or risk another disastrous summer of cancelled shows and poor ticket sales.

The Live Aid promoter admits he's not surprised that 2010 has been a flat year for festivals and concert tours - because there are only a handful of bands and artists big enough to command sell outs and success.

He tells CelebrityAccess.com, "The only kind of stadium star or arena-plus star act that has come through recently is Muse. That’s it. Both here in Britain and in America. We need more of them.

"We need to have, as I have said time and time again, new promoters with new ideas, building new acts up so they become the new superstars. Without that, within five years’ time, there will not be a business."

Muse have done it themselves though.

Thanks for posting.

Muse have done it themselves though.

Thanks for posting.

Hardly.

Muse only achieved their current level of success after signing a stonking record deal with Warner. Fair dos they worked their way up to Glasto headliners off their own backs, for the most part, but since then, they have been pushed so hard by Warner that 'success' (however you gauge that) was inevitable.

Hardly.

Muse only achieved their current level of success after signing a stonking record deal with Warner. Fair dos they worked their way up to Glasto headliners off their own backs, for the most part, but since then, they have been pushed so hard by Warner that 'success' (however you gauge that) was inevitable.

Pretty much.

Hardly.

But they wouldn't have got there if what they had to offer wasn't good enough. Muse are popular because of who they are. You can't tell me that the record executives have been sitting on their hands not bothering to promote other artists, just concentrating on Muse which is why Muse have been more successful. The artistic choices are down to Muse.

But they wouldn't have got there if what they had to offer wasn't good enough. Muse are popular because of who they are. You can't tell me that the record executives have been sitting on their hands not bothering to promote other artists, just concentrating on Muse which is why Muse have been more successful. The artistic choices are down to Muse.

+1

I bet more people have heard of JLS than Muse.

+1

Warner has pushed them,but everything comes down to music and their ability to pull off a good show.If that's not there,no record company could help them.

this dosnt seem to be the case in australia. festivals are selling out in record time. The big day out added second shows in some cities this year, which also sold out. the only reason l got tickets to muse in dec, was presale. i tried for more in both releases and General admin went in a few min. i got good seats though.

everythings selling really well, hell last year (i think) pink sold out a record 35 shows in australia, when there are only 7 major cities. thats a record. we have a really strong scene here and both the local and international bands are selling well.

but on the other hand australia also was one of the few western country's to come out of the financial crisis in ok condition. so this might also be a factor in tickets selling here and not in other countrys.

interesting though. i do think that there are pleanty of great bands out at the moment, infact i feel quite excited about the quality of bands around, I dont think every band should or could be as theatrical as muse. Especially as theyhave lifted the bar quite high.

Interesting though.

I was thinking along similar lines reading that NME review, which complained about how Muse headline every festival there is. Once all the old big bands retire or die, who is going to be left to headline festivals and play stadiums/arenas? There are many good bands around, for sure, but there are shockingly few bands in Muse's generation who are big enough to do it.

I was thinking along similar lines reading that NME review, which complained about how Muse headline every festival there is. Once all the old big bands retire or die, who is going to be left to headline festivals and play stadiums/arenas? There are many good bands around, for sure, but there are shockingly few bands in Muse's generation who are big enough to do it.

This thought has struck me too. On an Irish website recently we were discussing who would headline Slane castle this year and nobody could come up with any artist who hadn't already played except Kings of Leon who I think wouldn't be able to sell it out.

Anyway the big concert at Slane never happened this year for the first time in 30 years as there was no suitable act to play it. Hopefully in the next few years we'll see a few more rock bands rising to the challenge of playing stadiums and headlining festivals.

I think you need to learn more about how the industry works as this is quite naive.

2010 has been a flat year because ticket prices have become extortionate and don't coincide with people's financial situations. Nothing to do with the acts. Town centres on a Friday/Saturday night are dead compared to what they used to be, so who really wants to play £50+, plus travel costs to see a band?

The concert/festival industry thrived when people had money, but it has to adapt.

I think artists today either are not good enough or don't have the guts/don't want to become big. For so many years now it has been uncool to become a band that fills arenas not to mention stadiums. It's much cooler to to be an "indie" band :rolleyes:

I think you need to learn more about how the industry works as this is quite naive.

2010 has been a flat year because ticket prices have become extortionate and don't coincide with people's financial situations. Nothing to do with the acts. Town centres on a Friday/Saturday night are dead compared to what they used to be, so who really wants to play £50+, plus travel costs to see a band?

The concert/festival industry thrived when people had money, but it has to adapt.

How can it be nothing to do with the acts if the article is specifically stating that Muse are the only band with enough success to keep the concert business going?

Editors?

Its interesting that Editors and also Franz Ferdinand were playing big(ish) venues on their 2nd album tours (Editors were support for FF on their 2005 UK arena tour) but they have retracted back to acadamies (and further in Editors case) for album 3 in the UK (they seem more interested in the larger venues in continental Europe).

While that is true, that people's financial situations are preventing them from getting out more, the fact is that there is still a market for ticket/concert sales. People aren't just buying any shit that is thrown in front of them. They're being selective with who they go see and where they travel. People still travel for bands. But instead of following 4 or 5 different bands, it's down to one or two. And people are not buying ridiculously priced tickets, but staying in the $30-80 range. This is one reason why Muse's show was successful in the US. They put on a great stage production and live show for a fair price.

This was interesting to read. The writer/interviewee has a point. The bands I see now adays, most of the time, have come out of talent shows lik X factor and are guarrenteed to have a contract whereas 10 yeas ago or more when Muse were starting out you had to work your arses off to get one. You have to work your way up to get to a level as high as selling out stadiums. If you are give a deal on the back of a public vote.. you haven't work as hard.. meaning if you falter.. you can be dropped. I think this is what younger people see as theire only way of getting into the industry. It's sad to see bands wrking hard.. then see another band.artist who does nought get the deal.

Muse have worked up to the level they are at.They have worked very hard for it. Maybe being with Warner makes it easier for them to get popularity. But Warner do not always consintrate on them. Take the promoton for UD over here .. there was nouthing. But yet for JLS new single there has been shit loads of promtion. Countdowns and everything. There is talent in every nook and cranny waiting to be found. But labels don't want to go out a look. They wanted it handed to them on a plate. And that is where shows like X Factor/ The idol series/ ? Got talent series are so handy for them. Working hard is key to getting what you will cherish.

As for prices of tickets, Yes they can be expensive but people are willing to pay those prices. Maybe there is careful thinking then after buying careful planning. But we do have a smart population on this planet that do think. I don't see the prices being a problem. Wembely and places like that will be more. Maybe less people will go.. but some people do save up for when the time for gig tickets comes (I know I do)

Some new raw hard working talent neesd to be found yes. Prices can be high, yes. But 8/9 times out of ten you get what you pay for. And you should be grateful for that... I know i will not be able to see all the bands i want to .. But I would be grateful for seeing a few.

The whole music industry is in a pickle. Every industry is in a pickle.

EDIT: Please ignore myterrible spelling. I am working on 2 hours sleep. XD

Lady Gaga can sell a fuckload more than Muse no matter what you think. Metallica can do it, they've been doin it for decades, as have U2, Muse are the next U2, people in a generation or 2 will think ''what is this shit?'' while they still hit stadiums to an aging crowd (it's already starting to age)......

Live music will not die. It's a luxury, that isn't necessary in a recession....shit happens.

Lady Gaga can sell a fuckload more than Muse no matter what you think.

True. But at the same time, her ticket prices are very fair considering what her stage and costume production value is as well. She could be charging A LOT per ticket. But for a non-package ticket, it's still within the $60-100 range. Very fair.

Archived