Goldsmith - More Muse or the concert business will die in 5 years.

a-museing

It'll be fine. We have amazing bands like Two Door Cinema Club and The Big Pink to fill stadiums in the coming years.

/sarcasm

Muse worked for what they have, and deserve it.

But I can't see many 1/2 albums bands/artists headlining Wembley or festivals in 10 years.

ive heard a few big bands saying like "if we were starting out now we'd be dropped by our record label after the first album." if this is true then its the music industries fault for being SO unforgiving after a first album that doesnt do so well. i cant think of that many bands who are huge that had a massive hit for their first album and just carried on being incredibly successful. it really does take time to become a headliner/stadium band.

It'll be fine. We have amazing bands like Two Door Cinema Club and The Big Pink to fill stadiums in the coming years.

/sarcasm

God help us noooo! :LOL: I doubt they will be able to fill my garage in ten years time, never mind a stadium.

ive heard a few big bands saying like "if we were starting out now we'd be dropped by our record label after the first album." if this is true then its the music industries fault for being SO unforgiving after a first album that doesnt do so well. i cant think of that many bands who are huge that had a massive hit for their first album and just carried on being incredibly successful. it really does take time to become a headliner/stadium band.

Its only really The Killers that have had that - they are huge in the UK (next tour they could very well book and sell out a stadium in the UK) and headline arenas in the USA but most people are bigger fans of older material like Mr. Brightside or Somebody Told Me than more recent material like Human, Spaceman or even When You Were Young.

Muse didn't really have any hits from Showbiz which was a number 29 album in the UK, yet since then they have chipped away and become a phenomenally huge band in the UK and a big one in the USA, even despite all the troubles they had with Origin.

Mind you its only Muse and Coldplay that have become a big success over there - the Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian are big in the UK (Arctics headlined Manchester Old Trafford on album 2) but in the USA are minnows (Kasabian in particular are big minnows).

Its only really The Killers that have had that - they are huge in the UK (next tour they could very well book and sell out a stadium in the UK) and headline arenas in the USA but most people are bigger fans of older material like Mr. Brightside or Somebody Told Me than more recent material like Human, Spaceman or even When You Were Young.

Muse didn't really have any hits from Showbiz which was a number 29 album in the UK, yet since then they have chipped away and become a phenomenally huge band in the UK and a big one in the USA, even despite all the troubles they had with Origin.

Mind you its only Muse and Coldplay that have become a big success over there - the Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian are big in the UK (Arctics headlined Manchester Old Trafford on album 2) but in the USA are minnows (Kasabian in particular are big minnows).

sorry im being an idiot, are you saying the killers first album was successful or it wasnt?

Now you're just making me sad :'( I agree, there are only a handful of stadium filling bands, but anything could come up in the next few years

Sorry don't want to make anyone sad.

I am actually happy knowing that Muse will still be here in 10 year's time whilst that flavour of the month "popular" band will disappered by then.:)

U2 can't do it, Paul McCartney can't do it, The Eagles can't do it. The problem is people are no longer interested in bands that are supposed to great live, they sit in their chairs and listen to the chart music on itunes.

Muse, The Killers and Kasabian are the only modern "rock" bands to be able to sell out arenas in britain to any extent, which is the point Goldsmith is making, heck green day can hardly do it either.

U2 can't do it, Paul McCartney can't do it, The Eagles can't do it. The problem is people are no longer interested in bands that are supposed to great live, they sit in their chairs and listen to the chart music on itunes.

Muse, The Killers and Kasabian are the only modern "rock" bands to be able to sell out arenas in britain to any extent, which is the point Goldsmith is making, heck green day can hardly do it either.

:facepalm:

Live music has never had it better for years, the popularity of live music shot through the roof, so you did see tours selling out in seconds, festivals started selling out in seconds, which never happened before, ever.

:facepalm:

Live music has never had it better for years, the popularity of live music shot through the roof, so you did see tours selling out in seconds, festivals started selling out in seconds, which never happened before, ever.

the rise of live music took off not long after live aid as many people saw how powerful live music was.

i'm not sure what you're trying to say, i only said there is handfuls of good rock bands that successfully tour the UK where as the likes of U2 were gasping for more people at their stadium concerts, and that our generation go to see tits like JLS and Bieber who sell out. am i wrong ? no, are you ? no.

you seem after that conspiracy thread wanting to jump on my every move.

have fun :happy:

:stunned: What a completely bullshit point. Sales in the live concert business are overtaking those in the recorded music business at the moment. Live music and festivals are more popular than in years. What's more, those older artists that you've mentioned CAN sell out stadiums and arenas still. So can Green Day as well, if you're talking modern bands.

If you feel like I have it in for you, then go ahead and feel that way.

:stunned: What a completely bullshit point. Sales in the live concert business are overtaking those in the recorded music business at the moment. Live music and festivals are more popular than in years. What's more, those older artists that you've mentioned CAN sell out stadiums and arenas still. So can Green Day as well, if you're talking modern bands.

If you feel like I have it in for you, then go ahead and feel that way.

The list of bands that can sell out arenas is quite substantial. The same with pop artists. I think the articles assessment is wrong. Muse are just a good example of an act who have record of good live shows. What sort of venues does he think Lady Gaga is playing?

the rise of live music took off not long after live aid as many people saw how powerful live music was.

i'm not sure what you're trying to say, i only said there is handfuls of good rock bands that successfully tour the UK where as the likes of U2 were gasping for more people at their stadium concerts, and that our generation go to see tits like JLS and Bieber who sell out. am i wrong ? no, are you ? no.

you seem after that conspiracy thread wanting to jump on my every move.

have fun :happy:

If you think that, you really need to get out more.

In this case you really don't seem to know what you're talking about. Live music didn't "take off" after Live Aid, it's always been there and always been popular. The rise of the modern state of live music has happened over the last 10 years to the point it's a battle for tickets minutes after they go on sale for arena, stadium & festival dates for all sorts of bands, the price of tickets has hugely fluctuated and touting is hugely lucrative as people were prepared to pay stupid amounts of cash to see a band.

The recent climate for large live music events isn't sustainable as it was purely based around people having cash to burn and that climate has gone. Any drop in sales is probably closer to where the industry had been all along to be honest.

To start going on it's all about people wanting to listen to Bieber & JLS (Never heard either, only heard of them through people like yourself mentioning them) and this would never have happened before is completely and utterly misguided and ignorant. First of all, shitty, commercial pop music has always and always will exist, it's always clogged up the charts and will remain doing so, it is far from a new trend. All that happens is people look back at the past and filter out all the crap.

I do think Goldsmith has got it wrong. Nothing to do with the bands coming through, any band with a large enough following can fill out any venue, it's just the world sorting itself out at the moment.

Muse's rise to arena/stadium level was very cleverly done and somewhat unique (Everyone probably does it now), as in they played festival after festival, released a live DVD and built up the reputation for being a great live band over around a 5 year period maybe, then came the arena tours, then a stadium...

The list of bands that can sell out arenas is quite substantial. The same with pop artists. I think the articles assessment is wrong. Muse are just a good example of an act who have record of good live shows. What sort of venues does he think Lady Gaga is playing?

I don't dispute this at all. If you look at the schedule for arenas around the country this autumn/winter you will sees tons of artists of different kinds.

Harvey Goldsmith is another example of an 'older' industry gentleman who is completely out of whack with what is going on in the inudstry.

I don't dispute this at all. If you look at the schedule for arenas around the country this autumn/winter you will sees tons of artists of different kinds.

Harvey Goldsmith is another example of an 'older' industry gentleman who is completely out of whack with what is going on in the inudstry.

I get that feeling.

Muse have been a very successful live band but to say that if another 'Muse' don't appear, the music industry will die is just absurd. There are so many hugely successful bands who sell millions of records, have huge followings and sell out academies/arenas/stadiums. I don't know what the situation is for manufactured pop but I don't think that there are going to be too many bands like Muse that you can just produce in a record execs meeting.

sorry im being an idiot, are you saying the killers first album was successful or it wasnt?

Hot Fuss was a succesful album - it was a Number One in the UK and it produced 4 big hits for the band in Mr. Brightside, Somebody Told Me, Smile Like You Mean It and All These Things That I've Done.

But more people, certainly in America, seem more interested in the Hot Fuss material than Sam's Town or Day & Age material unless you're a Killers hardcorer (like me). Its only really Human, Spaceman and When You Were Young which were all big singles that will provoke the casual's reaction as much as the mentioned Hot Fuss singles.

Mind you big hits get the fans through the doors. And an arsenal boasting singles like Human, Spaceman, Somebody Told Me, Mr. Brightside, All These Things That I've Done, Bones and When You Were Young would be envious of several bands, and bound to bring dozens of fans through the doors.

I get that feeling.

Muse have been a very successful live band but to say that if another 'Muse' don't appear, the music industry will die is just absurd. There are so many hugely successful bands who sell millions of records, have huge followings and sell out academies/arenas/stadiums. I don't know what the situation is for manufactured pop but I don't think that there are going to be too many bands like Muse that you can just produce in a record execs meeting.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. What criteria is Goldsmith using when he is referring to finding other bands to promote "like Muse"? There is only one Muse and I haven't noticed too many spare Bellamys, Howards and Wolsthenholmes hanging around primed and ready to step up to the mantle.

Lady gaga plays to unsold-out arena's

proof is that i analyzed here euro&uk gig stats

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. What criteria is Goldsmith using when he is referring to finding other bands to promote "like Muse"? There is only one Muse and I haven't noticed too many spare Bellamys, Howards and Wolsthenholmes hanging around primed and ready to step up to the mantle.

There are actually several spare Wolstenholmes around, they just haven't ripened yet :shifty:

;)

Archived