Matt talks new album direction( Short interview)

scotgal

I posted what was said in the "Album Number 6" thread a while ago so here it is...

Interviewer: With every album you make the band sound bigger and better every time. Is the sky the limit for Muse?

Matt: I think maybe next album we would like to try something more personal and more intimate sounding, you know, I'd like to try and find something more down to earth in sound, I think we've been pushing very much musically towards large scale live performances and think that's started to have big influence on our studio work so I think next album would be a good time to kind of draw back from that and try to rediscover ourselves and a more intimate side of music.

WIN :')

:D I hope they actually go in this direction instead of making it bigger and bigger. There's only so far you can add before you topple under its weight. I guess.

also, Matt looks hot in this video. :$

:D I hope they actually go in this direction instead of making it bigger and bigger. There's only so far you can add before you topple under its weight. I guess.

also, Matt looks hot in this video. :$

Yes yes and yes, to all of this. :chuckle:

I'm hopeful... fingers crossed they'll still have this frame of mind of less-bombastic music when they get back to the studio. :)

I posted what was said in the "Album Number 6" thread a while ago so here it is...

Interviewer: With every album you make the band sound bigger and better every time. Is the sky the limit for Muse?

Matt: I think maybe next album we would like to try something more personal and more intimate sounding, you know, I'd like to try and find something more down to earth in sound, I think we've been pushing very much musically towards large scale live performances and think that's started to have big influence on our studio work so I think next album would be a good time to kind of draw back from that and try to rediscover ourselves and a more intimate side of music.

WIN :')

I hope this happens:yesey:. Perhaps now he realizes he can't take the OTT, bombastic sound any further without Muse self-combusting.

Having said this, he will have probably forgotten what he said by tomorrow:rolleyes:

Wonder what he means by intimate and more down to Earth? Only part of their work I'd call "stripped down" would be Showbiz. Cool to hear them talk about the new album.

I just hope it's not a bunch of love songs featuring acoustic guitar. Maybe he means more raw and low-fi sounding, and less over the top bombast. However, he has said in interviews how they always like to take advantage of technology when it comes to music, so I find it hard to believe they would go in a more low-tech direction. I guess we probably shouldn't analyze it too much. Who knows what he'll say in another month! :p

I guess we probably shouldn't analyze it too much. Who knows what he'll say in another month! :p
this. i often find that matt's concepts of intimate and OTT and whatever are quite different to everyone else's. he could mean several things.

besides, TR already has a few of what you could probably consider more 'intimate' songs IMO.

I love the Resistance, but... honestly, you can't deny the deep lyrics on stuff like Origin. It is incredible music... so dark. No cheese, as back then they seemed to be lactose-intolerant :p

Let's hope for more mega-grim stuff like Megalomania, and also more fucking ROCK. Just straight up guitar anthems like the good old days... Hyper Music, Dead Star!

I know I'm probably hoping too much, but I'm just praying they'll return to the great Origin era. Manson Delorean, mad-scientist stage persona and spiky hair would be massive pluses.

I just hope it's not a bunch of love songs featuring acoustic guitar. Maybe he means more raw and low-fi sounding, and less over the top bombast. However, he has said in interviews how they always like to take advantage of technology when it comes to music, so I find it hard to believe they would go in a more low-tech direction. I guess we probably shouldn't analyze it too much. Who knows what he'll say in another month! :p

I wouldn't mind acoustic guitar; in fact classical guitar is probably my favorite instrument. :happy: (even more than piano) and generally speaking as long as Matt doesn't start churning out sappy love songs I don't think I need to worry about what comes out of it. :LOL:

But yeah, by next week he's probably going to be spouting something capturing the sound of intergalactic federation waging war against.... something or other. Ridiculous things. :LOL: I do hope that the more intimate direction is one they actually stick to, though. Wasn't there something about how The Resistance was supposed to be stripped down, but then they got carried away in studio?

Archived