Matt talks new album direction( Short interview)

scotgal

this. i often find that matt's concepts of intimate and OTT and whatever are quite different to everyone else's. he could mean several things.

besides, TR already has a few of what you could probably consider more 'intimate' songs IMO.

Yeah I kinda agree here. I wouldn't necessarily equate intimate/personal with slow, acoustic. A lot of their earlier stuff seemed more personal thematically (Sunburn, Cave, Uno), those songs they supposedly wrote about people whom they had a rift with.

Maybe this will be personal in the sense that some songs may be abstractly about dealing with fame and pressure and whatnot. I don't know, I'm just rambling here.

I wouldn't mind acoustic guitar; in fact classical guitar is probably my favorite instrument. :happy: (even more than piano) and generally speaking as long as Matt doesn't start churning out sappy love songs I don't think I need to worry about what comes out of it. :LOL:

Think if it was in a similar vein to Screenager...ooh, lovely :happy:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wouldn't mind acoustic guitar; in fact classical guitar is probably my favorite instrument. :happy: (even more than piano) and generally speaking as long as Matt doesn't start churning out sappy love songs I don't think I need to worry about what comes out of it. :LOL:

But yeah, by next week he's probably going to be spouting something capturing the sound of intergalactic federation waging war against.... something or other. Ridiculous things. :LOL: I do hope that the more intimate direction is one they actually stick to, though. Wasn't there something about how The Resistance was supposed to be stripped down, but then they got carried away in studio?

Well, I certainly wouldn't object to one or two sappy acoustic love songs, but that's it. :chuckle:

But yeah, "scaled back and intimate" could me a lot of different things. :confused: Him saying this does seem contrary to what he said a few months ago about having an album with more electro/UD-style songs. Or does it? I'm not gonna try to figure it out anymore! :stunned:

Maybe this will be personal in the sense that some songs may be abstractly about dealing with fame and pressure and whatnot.
i sure hope it's not that... not that i usually pay much attention to muse lyrics but errr if i want to hear about the oh so difficult life of a celebrity, i hear that britney spears and others alike have made a career with lyrics about that.

Sounds good, but I don't think we should expect it anytime soon, considering they've been flatout writing, recording, producing and touring for about 2 years straight, I can see a mini hiatus on the horizon, Chris must feel the need to spend more time with his kids ffs, he's missing out on some of the best years!

I reckon we'll see something late 2012, knowing Matt it'll be December 21st 2012 :LOL:

Nice. :happy:

Matt did say this in an interview once:

MB: (Laughs) Yeah, I've realized that my definition of what is stripped down is quite different to other people's. One day in the future I would like to do an album that is TRULY stripped down, and to me I suppose really stripped down would be to just play acoustically, or something like that. Maybe one day we could do an album like that.

It's doubtful, but you never know.

Sounds good, but I don't think we should expect it anytime soon, considering they've been flatout writing, recording, producing and touring for about 2 years straight, I can see a mini hiatus on the horizon, Chris must feel the need to spend more time with his kids ffs, he's missing out on some of the best years!

I reckon we'll see something late 2012, knowing Matt it'll be December 21st 2012 :LOL:

I'd love to see that actually :LOL: Just for the Irony. Oh and the first track should definately be "So This Really is The End of The World!" :yesey:

I hope that he means rockier when he says stripped back, however it's Matt speaking and I seem to remember him saying he would like to explore the sound of Undisclosed, We'll see...

EDIT: Oh and when he said the next album would be similar to Map of the Problematique after BH&R :LOL:

I hope that he means rockier when he says stripped back, however it's Matt speaking and I seem to remember him saying he would like to explore the sound of Undisclosed, We'll see :LOL:

I also remember him saying Undisclosed was something that was kept as sparse as possible, so who knows? At this point, anything can happen.

Sounds good. I'm not sure they could go more bombastic and it will be good to have some variation.

Chris also talked about doing an acoustic album before and he also spoke about doing more songs like Soldiers Poem I think. To me more intimate and personal doesn't mean like OoS necessarily though maybe Citizen Erased, and it doesn't mean rocky necessarily. To me it means songs like Hoodoo, Undisclosed Desires, Map of Your Head, Hyperchondriac Music, Shine Acoustic, Unintended, Soaked, NSC (he he!), Endlessly, just as examples.

Though I'm open minded. As people have said, there's no way of telling that what is said now will actually have bearing on the end result or that any of us will interpret the intentions correctly.

Archived