Matt talks new album direction( Short interview)

scotgal

I posted what was said in the "Album Number 6" thread a while ago so here it is...

Interviewer: With every album you make the band sound bigger and better every time. Is the sky the limit for Muse?

Matt: I think maybe next album we would like to try something more personal and more intimate sounding, you know, I'd like to try and find something more down to earth in sound, I think we've been pushing very much musically towards large scale live performances and think that's started to have big influence on our studio work so I think next album would be a good time to kind of draw back from that and try to rediscover ourselves and a more intimate side of music.

WIN :')

thank for posting!;)

intimate sound of music!:rolleyes:(sounds really interesting):)

A more stripped down album would be :awesome:, but I'm not gonna hold my breath! :LOL:

New Album Name = Guiding Chandelier
Lead Single From New Album: Crab Nebulae Crawling Through The Ocean

EDIT: Which people on the board will quickly start referring to as CNCTtO

:chuckle::chuckle:

Wonder what he means by intimate and more down to Earth? Only part of their work I'd call "stripped down" would be Showbiz. Cool to hear them talk about the new album.

+1 It's a very vague statement... could mean a number of things. Not sure it's entirely good news :LOL:. I like OTT Muse, cos it's epic, which sums them up nicely. I can't imagine a Muse album without one or two crazy, lager-than-life tracks for us to go nuts over. I wouldn't want them to be as stripped back as Showbiz, but maybe they'll surprise us with something fresh and NON-cheesy :p

Let's hope for more mega-grim stuff like Megalomania, and also more fucking ROCK. Just straight up guitar anthems like the good old days... Hyper Music, Dead Star!

I hope that he means rockier when he says stripped back, however it's Matt speaking and I seem to remember him saying he would like to explore the sound of Undisclosed, We'll see...

If this happens, my father will have *kittens*. I've created a monster who listens to Muse's heaviest songs nonstop...hearing Dead Star-ish songs live would make his year. :LOL: (And mine.)

I don't know what to think of Matt's word choice. "Down to earth" immediately made me think of an end to all this spacey, end-of-the-world and faraway galaxy music. Probably not what he meant.

Don't do an all-acoustic album, please. We want pwopa rock! :\mm/:

I could believe him. Maybe all the discontent with some people have caused Matt to finally see the light and think about doing more "intimate" songs, scaled back and such.

Though, this goes against an entire different prediction he said months ago....saying songs like Undisclosed Desires were fun to make and possibly wanted to explore more of. Who knows.

Am I the only person here who is taking this as bad news?

I am hoping that the next album will be full of songs like Stockholm Syndrome, Plug in Baby, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, Knights of Cydonia, Bliss, Map of the Problematique, The small print, New Born etc.

In my opinion live shows would become so boring if the set was full of quiet acoustic songs. I wouldn't mind listening to them, but would much prefer to be having a great time jumping around to their heavier songs over standing there swaying my mobile phone around in the air.

Am I the only person here who is taking this as bad news?

I am hoping that the next album will be full of songs like Stockholm Syndrome, Plug in Baby, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, Knights of Cydonia, Bliss, Map of the Problematique, The small print, New Born etc.

In my opinion live shows would become so boring if the set was full of quiet acoustic songs. I wouldn't mind listening to them, but would much prefer to be having a great time jumping around to their heavier songs over standing there swaying my mobile phone around in the air.

I don't think he's necessarily talking about just doing acoustic type songs. Probably just toning down the theatrics a bit.

I don't think he's necessarily talking about just doing acoustic type songs. Probably just toning down the theatrics a bit.

Signed :yesey:

I think it's just about Muse becoming less bombastic again. I mean.... we've got UFO's and Aliens now.... I can't think of anything more dramatic, bizarre and gigantic atm. So the consequence is talking a few steps back, getting "intimate"

I don't think that necessarily means 13 Acoustic Guiding Lights. Just good Rock music that isn't over the top in it's approach :yesey:

Given the validity of everything Matt says these days ;) it looks certain that we'll get the loudest, heaviest and most bombastic muse album to date!

It's the bellamy rule

anything he says is inversely porportional to what will really happen :awesome:

I don't think that necessarily means 13 Acoustic Guiding Lights. Just good Rock music that isn't over the top in it's approach :yesey:

:yesey:

Unlikely as it may be, I'd love it if this meant an album (or at least a few songs) along the lines of Hullabaloo.

"Stripping back". I hope this means stripping back on the OTT classical :erm:

I watched this interview on tv last night during the Werchter highlights. His comments sounded very positive to me, I was really excited to hear this. Also, Matt looked incredibly well, I thought.

Yep, not smashed like he usually is at interviews :chuckle:

Archived