the line 6 guitars (variax range) are like... well theyre the equivalent of the line 6 amps in guitar form... they emulate different guitars. and the interesting/weird thing is that theres no pickups.

i think the range goes from variax 300 to variax 700 or something, getting better with higher numbers.

you can probably compare the 300 to a line 6 spider in amp terms, and the 700 to a vetta :p which is why i asked which you are getting.

anyway, ive not played them, and thats all i know... if you use them with a line 6 amp or pedal (such as the pod) then you can change the patch (like go from clean to distorted tone) using a knob on the guitar i think, pretty cool.. they use special cables which look like ethernet cables too.

anyway, play around with one.. i am pretty interested to how they sound. oh and theyre not midi, no. :p

the line 6 guitars (variax range) are like... well theyre the equivalent of the line 6 amps in guitar form... they emulate different guitars. and the interesting/weird thing is that theres no pickups.

i think the range goes from variax 300 to variax 700 or something, getting better with higher numbers.

you can probably compare the 300 to a line 6 spider in amp terms, and the 700 to a vetta :p which is why i asked which you are getting.

anyway, ive not played them, and thats all i know... if you use them with a line 6 amp or pedal (such as the pod) then you can change the patch (like go from clean to distorted tone) using a knob on the guitar i think, pretty cool.. they use special cables which look like ethernet cables too.

anyway, play around with one.. i am pretty interested to how they sound. oh and theyre not midi, no. :p

Yeh my dads mate owns one, im going to have a tinkle on it before i get one.. Cant wait for my fender though! played one of them babies over the weekend and phwah!

Yeh my dads mate owns one, im going to have a tinkle on it before i get one.. Cant wait for my fender though! played one of them babies over the weekend and phwah!

yeh well, say what you think about them... i was interested in one a while ago but never got round to finding out if theyre any good or not

would go nicely with my pod though

they have piezo pickups in the saddles.

also, my dads friend uses a variax into a podxt live into his PA and it sounds fucking amazing. so they are pretty good.

theres also the variax workbench thing that lets you build your own guitar on your computer and make the variax sound like it :happy:

• 6 months later...
Guest bshuker

the thing with the variax and the podxt live is that when theyre hooked up you can use the pod's banks and channels to pick different guitars and tunings, so basically, you could go from, 12string DADGAD acoustic with some compression/lush verb on A to a les paul in drop D into the diamondplate with a tubescreamer and some delay etccc or whatever, with one click of the foot.

that and they're totally noiseless and its a digital connection or something, so its really clean sounding etc.

the variax workbench does look really cool! you can make custom tunings and stuff as well as making custom virtual guitars, by pickup placement/body etc, like you could get the acoustic and whack a few humbuckers on it, and afaik you can alter what your pickup switch does on the variax, like customize how you want it to select, phases and the like.

so all of that really really makes me want a variax! lol

What audio/midi interface should I get for under £200?

I only really need two pre's/inputs but a 5.1 output would be nice!

Internal/USB/Firewire, I don't mind but obviously want as little latency as possible.

To work with Cubase.

Metering would be nice too.

There's loads to choose from, but, i've not really used any! I would go for firewire, and apparently, steer clear of m-audio.

Yeah, but the new ones (weight relief) sound dreadful...what year is yours?

mine is a 1990, and weighs somewhere around 11lbs. (it helps the tone, but it does get a bit uncomfortable if you play standing up).

2005, mine sounds awesome and it is moderately light compared to some other pauls.

my LP is definately my favorite guitar now

I've got the firewire 410 which I've had about 18 months now and it's never given me any reason to doubt it!

But that said I feel like I should now be touching some wood.

Fair enough, I hope it works out for you. I thought I had read bad stuff on here, as well as hearing it from people, but, my mind is a bit wrotten so......

Red: What delay do you have at the moment? DD-3 or Echohead, or, for that money, you could buy a Zoom multi, which has some great delays, and an exp pedal which you can assign to delay parameters, and you could switch between loads of delay patches etc........

Archived