with the EH 12ax7's, when you say high gain, does that help the amp to break up earlier, or would it just make an amp like mine louder?

high gain tubes will break up earlier than low gain tubes, they need less push.

a 12ay7 will break up later than a 12ax7 because it is lower gain.

with the EH 12ax7's, when you say high gain, does that help the amp to break up earlier, or would it just make an amp like mine louder?

well usually the power tubes depend on how early an amp breaks up, so the pre amp tubes won't make much of a difference no matter what volume. It's noticeable, but it's not a huge difference.

if you want your amp to break up earlier, you should get a matched quad of power tubes that will break up easier AND get it biased a certain way.

The way its biased certainly makes a difference. I biased my Marshall yesterday, and at first I did it the wrong way so too much current was going into the tubes, and that caused the amp to break up WAY too early. Now its set so it will break up at a moderate volume.

also, it has a much better tone now.

well usually the power tubes depend on how early an amp breaks up, so the pre amp tubes won't make much of a difference no matter what volume. It's noticeable, but it's not a huge difference.

if you want your amp to break up earlier, you should get a matched quad of power tubes that will break up easier AND get it biased a certain way.

The way its biased certainly makes a difference. I biased my Marshall yesterday, and at first I did it the wrong way so too much current was going into the tubes, and that caused the amp to break up WAY too early. Now its set so it will break up at a moderate volume.

are we talking about breaking up when you turn the volume knob, or the gain knob... cos thats what i was going on about :LOL:

ok, does the biasing affect the volume? i've only ever halfed the power of the amp, know fuck all about tubes.

are we talking about breaking up when you turn the volume knob, or the gain knob... cos thats what i was going on about :LOL:

i don't have a gain knob ;)

can anyone reccomend me a decent (read "cheap") poweramp and/or a decent/cheap 2-speaker cabinet?

cheers

also, does anyone know if general-use power amps (like this) can be used as power amps for guitar?

im planning on using my zoom g7 as a preamp, running that into a poweramp then a speaker cab

cheers

coffee

cool, just wondering because i could like set the amp to whatever volume i use it at and then bias the amp for the amount of break up i want.

Yeah, and you could put tubes that will break up earlier in without biasing it...except that would require knowing where the bias is set now.

so, unless you want to take it to a tech, this is what you have to do....

get a matched quad of EL-34's (if that's what your amp uses) I would get electro harmonix's, they're the cheapest and they still sound great.

get a DMM (digital multi meter) to read what the plate voltage is and the mA etc. I use a weber bias rite.

open up the amp and find the bias trim pot

adjust the pot to where ever you need it (it has to be within a certain range though, or you could ruin the tubes)

beehotch

well his amp has a volume knob which goes to 11 instead of a gain control ;)

get on ebay and find some nationals. they're my favorite preamp tube. period.

Never heard of those, but I have a feeling they're expensive.

haha damn you :p

hahaha

I used to have one, that thing had too much gain.

also, about the chinese tubes...They're unreliable crap, but ones that work sound perfect in my Marshalls.

I'm talking about the pre amp tubes, NEVER AGAIN will I use their power tubes.

FYI all TAD tubes are made in china btw ;)

also, about the chinese tubes...They're unreliable crap, but ones that work sound perfect in my Marshalls.

I'm talking about the pre amp tubes, NEVER AGAIN will I use their power tubes.

FYI all TAD tubes are made in china btw ;)

hmm, thats funny. im impressed by my TAD tubes. but as i say, i was just going on what the tech guy said.

why is this?

"Ultra-low total harmonic distortion"

coffee + tv: nah, that's not what you want. it's almost the exact opposite. even-order harmonic distortion is exactly what you're after. get a tube power amp. some to think about: marshall el34 20/20, mesa boogie 20/20, peavey classic 50/50. the peavey will be the cheapest of the bunch, sounds ace, and you can pull tubes to run it at 25w a side if you want. or use the power ection of your valve amp. or run your pedal into the front of any nice valve amp. my guitarist runs a gt-6 into the front of a fender twin and a mesa cab and has the sickest tone you've ever heard.

but, to be be honest, you might as well just get an amp for the money you'll spend. because you'll need a cab too.

hmm, thats funny. im impressed by my TAD tubes. but as i say, i was just going on what the tech guy said.

why is this?

no idea, but I've found the 'regular' chinese power tubes to be complete garbage. (when I say regular, I mean the ones designed by them, and not big tube companies).

TADs are designed in germany and made in china.

"Ultra-low total harmonic distortion"

coffee + tv: nah, that's not what you want. it's almost the exact opposite. even-order harmonic distortion is exactly what you're after. get a tube power amp. some to think about: marshall el34 20/20, mesa boogie 20/20, peavey classic 50/50. the peavey will be the cheapest of the bunch, sounds ace, and you can pull tubes to run it at 25w a side if you want. or use the power ection of your valve amp. or run your pedal into the front of any nice valve amp. my guitarist runs a gt-6 into the front of a fender twin and a mesa cab and has the sickest tone you've ever heard.

but, to be be honest, you might as well just get an amp for the money you'll spend. because you'll need a cab too.

feck

cheers for the advice though.

the thing is.. i dont want to be buying an unnecessary preamp, as if i bought a new amp, id just be plugging straight from the zoom into the FX return (i.e. into the poweramp, and bypassing the preamp). i already own a giggable amp (roland cube 60), but there is no fx loop, and therefore no way short of opening the amp up to bypass the preamp. at the moment i either plug the zoom into my hifi or into the clean channel of the cube w/ a flat eq. having played it through the poweramp of my mates 100 watt marshall mg combo, i realise just how much difference there is in tone, and how much better it sounds without a preamp fucking round with the tone.

i have seen those tube poweramps, but theyre far too expensive for me. are there any solid-state ones around?

i realise that id need a cab as well, which was why i asked for advice on the good 2x12s around the place.

cheers

coffee

cool, just wondering because i could like set the amp to whatever volume i use it at and then bias the amp for the amount of break up i want.

the superbass is class A i presume? cba to check for now! halving the tubes will cut the POWER in half, but shouldn't mess with the volume as the signal that would be shared across 4 tubes, now goes between 2, so the main guitar signal into each tube doubles. This means you should get breakup sooner.

i have seen those tube poweramps, but theyre far too expensive for me. are there any solid-state ones around?

i realise that id need a cab as well, which was why i asked for advice on the good 2x12s around the place.

cheers

coffee

You might be able to bypass the pre-amp in your cube if you open it.

Why not try a used PA or one of these old keyboard amps you get in the paper?

We bought quite a loud PA for the band off Ebay for £80

the superbass is class A i presume? cba to check for now! halving the tubes will cut the POWER in half, but shouldn't mess with the volume as the signal that would be shared across 4 tubes, now goes between 2, so the main guitar signal into each tube doubles. This means you should get breakup sooner.

class ab, nothing running at 100watts will ever be class a.

i've done the half power thing and it made no difference at all, i'm sure it made the amp harder to break up strangely enough.

i agree about monster...

monster cables are overrated and overpriced, i use livewire and sound just as good as monster but at half the price, i also have a lifetime warranty on all my cables, ive already had plenty of free replacements over the past couple of years.

alot of people tell me whirlwind is where it is at.

realisticly, a cable will die overtime no matter what. i would use whirlwind but there are no dealers near me so getting a replacement would be a pain, where as livewire i just walk into guitar center and hand them the crap cable and they give me a new one.

i agree about monster...

alot of people tell me whirlwind is where it is at.

realisticly, a cable will die overtime no matter what. i would use whirlwind but there are no dealers near me so getting a replacement would be a pain, where as livewire i just walk into guitar center and hand them the crap cable and they give me a new one.

Yeah, I know cables eventually die. I had a 1x12 cabinet on top of one of the monsters, and it completely died. (it wasn't on the connector)

I would think a cable that expensive could take more abuse.

I went from using monster P500 speaker cables to cheap $15 conquest speaker cables, and there's no difference in tone at all.

they seem pretty solid as well..I accidently (sort of) knocked over a 4x12 last weekend when the amp was still hooked up, and the signal didn't cut off at all.

I'm interested in their guitar cables as well, but the ratings weren't as good.

Archived