i wouldnt really recomment marshall speaker cabs unless someone is looking for a stereo cab, the build quality on marshalls is subpar, the only reason i have one is because i got a pretty good deal on it.

Yeah, that's the main reason I recommended it. I think the build quality is OK..though the speakers aren't my favorite.

I'm tempted to get an Avatar loaded with G12 65's..but these speakers are pretty expensive. (made in the UK instead of china).

that's too much of an assumption that the 'majority' will be consistant and that you aren't a passing trend, just because you have a crowd now doesn't guarantee you'll have one in a year's time, or in a month's time.

and just because something is 'popular', doesn't mean everyone will want that, so why not do the opposite and appeal to that crowd? that may even become a trend in the future and you'll be in a better position to well and truly cash in, rather than just an emulation of bands that started a trend.............

or you could just not give a shit and have more consistancy.

I don't think it's to do with trends. If we wanted to make it on the back of a trend we'd write some shit songs and sound like everyone else on the radio, get signed for an album, and feck off into obscurity like everyone else on the radio.

We did a gig last night for example, and played v. well, people liked it, and hung around, asked about us etc, and will come to the next manchester gig.

As a lot of rock fans seem to like bands that are very energetic in a visual way, if I had been jumping around the stage, it would be logical to assume that more people would have got into it, stayed, and asked etc.

Anyway, it's never going to happen, just an interesting discussion.

ok can we simplify things down to price ranges.

best amp for

£100

£150

£200

£500

£1000

best guitar

£100

£150

£200

£250

£500

Best pedals under £50

best pedals under £100

etc...?

imo best pedal under £50:

.big muff pi

best guitar under £150:

.ibanez gsz120 (just got one recently, and im very impressed considering the price... stands up to my les paul worth ~£550)

for good cheap gear...

good cheap guitars: schecters

good cheap high gain tube amps: peavey, sovtek mig-series (with master volume)

good cheap cabinets: avatar

which schecters are good? I used to have an omen 6, and it was OK....Nothing special.

I hear great things about the more expensive ones.

oh yeah, another thing... I got this Xaviere guitar the other day from guitarfetish. it's easily the best guitar in the $250 range. (mine was a blem, but I couldn't find a mark on it).

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvtebotrredf.html

that's the one I got, and it's a lot better than I expected....9/10 just for the action being too high and a broken output jack.

I love the Zoom multi fx pedals (fairly cheap- i got my B2 bass pedal for $180 AUS), they have awesome clean sound, heaps of effects like delay, reverb, auto wah, -1 octave, phaser, defret, synth, vocal synth, tube and amp simulation, and some nice preset fx. :D ooh! and a drum machine too.

I have the bass version, but my friend has the guitar version of it (which is a bit cheaper but still incredible).

which schecters are good? I used to have an omen 6, and it was OK....Nothing special.

I hear great things about the more expensive ones.

well for the price, the are the best guitars in their class. they are built solid with decent woods, have decent pickups and the hardware is pretty decent too. ive played on alot of schecters and are amazed by every one of them, I almost bought a tempest custom to put in my guitarsonal consisting of only gibsons.

i have only played duotones and triamps. but my guess is the puretone is just like a pimped out jcm800 2203. it has a class-a power section, so 25 watts is a lot. unfortunately i have never played through a h&k cab, so i dont know how they compare to other brands.

fair enough :)

I'm reading the reviews of the puretone on HC, and they look pretty good - although there are only two.

I really like the samples I've heard, I see why you like H&K's so much!

Archived