On the whole jam thing, I'm not too fussed if they've learnt them beforehand, tbh I don't expect Muse to impro. much, but if they just had a lot more to draw on to make each gig different then that would make so much more difference, even if it is a mixture of their own stuff and other band's riffs (I loved it when they played AC/DC and Deftones at Tinmuff, plus impressed they've thrown in things like Hangar 18 before.)

To make each gig feel more special, they could easily just use a setlist like this as framework and mix up the order every so often, which in itself can be great if it's quite drastic (like SS early on.)

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

MoTP

SBH

Hysteria

Guiding Light

B&H/Sing for Absolution/Fury

Undisclosed Desires

Sunburn/Ruled by Secrecy/Space Dementia

Showbiz/CE/Micro Cuts/The Groove

TiRO

City of Delusion/Hoodoo/Cave

Starlight

United States of Eurasia

Escape/Megalomania/Blackout/MM

Feeling Good/Invincible/Unintended

Unnatural Selection

Take a Bow/Bliss/AP

---------------------

Overture

Assassin/MK Ultra/Dead Star/TSP

Plug in Baby

SS

KoC

This would heavily promote the Resistance, while pleasing old and casual fans alike! Lots and lots of flexibilty and it would stop shows getting dull for the band too. It's 24 songs yes, but aren't we paying 40 quid? It's 44 songs to learn I think, but I don't doubt they are talented enough to know how to play all of their own songs.

I was saying that they are good songs, not innovative. I want precisely that: Innovative and fresh songs!

If I can remember, Muse are mainstream since BHAR or something.

But yeah, let's talk about live shows and let this discussion for another topics. :p

Muse have been mainstream ever since they released Sunburn as a single and it made the UK Top 25. Ever since then every single they've released has at least made the top 30. Even Dead Star/In Your World got to #13

In terms of set lists/variation....so many other bands > Muse.

I hope they see all the Tweets that went down last night, and maybe get their fucking arses into gear.

Pretty much every band i've seen live other than Foos has showed more variation in their setlists. Bloc Party tomorrow night will not be playing identical sets to what they did earlier on in their tour.

Make enough noise, and they may consider pulling their finger out.

I doubt it, they're too big time for us now

When its a public voted award. I don't think they will be taking many home this time. Because I wouldn't consider voting them best live bad currently.

They aren't, they're living off past glories. They were the best live band in 2002-2005 but not now. Franz on friday were miles better than Muse at Wembley and i'm not exaggerating.

They're missing a trick with New Born anyways.

Matt should play the intro on the piano as usual then stroll over to his tower, stand on it and rise up into the air as he builds up the feedback and distortion prior to the riff and then play the rest of the song up on the tower.

Cool as fuck that would be :cool:.

As for Muse as a live band, well, The Raconteurs tore them to shreds when I saw them at the Eden Project.

You should work for Muse, seriously! :LOL:

Tom Kirk used to post regularly ish on the forums back in the Absolution days, he hardly even visits these days :(.

I know, they really are too big time for us now

I'll tell you what, I will be hoping now that they play exactly the same set list at every gig, including, Feeling Good, every night, just to piss you lot of moaners off! :p:D It's not as if they exactly need you! :p

But we got them to where they are now. If they play the same set every night then they'll get bored and it'll be terrible. It will be so obvious they're not putting any thought into the live shows.

Do you think they enjoy touring as much as they did? It seems like they don't at the minute anyway. They don't seem to be having as much fun as they used to on stage.

Because they're playing rigid setlists and too many slow songs. In 2008 when they startd mixing it up and rocking out they looked energetic and excited again.

Because they're playing rigid setlists and too many slow songs. In 2008 when they startd mixing it up and rocking out they looked energetic and excited again.

Yeah. And some of the gigs in 2008 were much better than the ones in 2006 and 2007, that is for sure, so I don't get why they are turning time again. They were starting to get the 2004/5 vide again but they dropped now. Lets hope they realize it soon and start being the best of the bests again! :)

I notice someone on the Hovet thread has said that even the chatting on stage seems rehearsed, which I'd heard about on the last tour, seems a shame they can't just be natural but then I suppose I've never done it so maybe it's not that easy :erm:

It wouldn't suprise me.

Other bands are quite talkative onstage so it can't be that hard! :LOL:

Bellamy's shy, he hates talking on stage :LOL:

I love going to Manics gigs, because JDB and Nicky Wire are always chatting, taking the mickey out of each other, and Wire's almost always pissed out of his skull :LOL:

Kelly Jones was a proper drunken mess when I saw the 'Phonics. Forgot the names of his own songs and went on a ramble about how much better Wales was than Nottingham! :LOL:

But we got them to where they are now. If they play the same set every night then they'll get bored and it'll be terrible. It will be so obvious they're not putting any thought into the live shows.

This is a poor argument! You didn't get them to where they are now. They did it. You were there enjoying the ride. If you tell me you would have gone to their concerts and bought their albums in order to do them some big favour, I don't think I would believe you!:p I reckon you did that because you wanted to, because they're great and you enjoyed their music! Music they created! :)

I might be coming in late on the subject of the setlist eruption of yesterday, but here it is.

About the comments on the predictable setlist or the band showing stagnation or what not, I respect the opinions of those who have been long time Muse fans. They have attended numerous shows in the past and have enough experiences to draw comparisons with. Also I respect those of who were at the recent Scandinavian shows and experienced the new tour first hand. I consider myself a relatively new Muse fan, and I’ve been to only 12 shows since 2006, but I have yet to be disappointed at their shows. Will my reactions change during the Resistance tour? It’s hard to say. What makes me upset it that some of us who weren’t even at the shows and have been to fewer than a handful of shows have taken the complaints to the band themselves about the setlist.

Some of the unfortunate who cannot be at the show congregate on the board and wait for the tweet updates from the gigs. It’s the next best thing to being there, and it’s funny and entertaining to poke fun at the setlist that we can easily call off. I totally get that. But is it really necessary to complain to the band when we weren’t even at the show to begin with?

It’s obvious the performance is for those who are at the shows, not for those who anxiously wait for the setlist updates. I would leave the serious complaints to those who have been to the shows and came out truly disappointed by the setlist or the performance; otherwise, I think it’s disrespect to the band. The general moaning and groaning is a nature of the Musers and let them remain here on the thread.

Bellamy's shy, he hates talking on stage :LOL:

I love going to Manics gigs, because JDB and Nicky Wire are always chatting, taking the mickey out of each other, and Wire's almost always pissed out of his skull :LOL:

Franz Ferdinand can be quite chatty as well. Lots of audience interaction there. But I swear I read ages ago that Alex claims to actually be quite shy and certainly when you meet him offstage he seems a little different. Not in a bad way, I mean he seems at his most confident on stage. I guess different people deal with nerves and shyness differently.

Franz Ferdinand can be quite chatty as well. Lots of audience interaction there. But I swear I read ages ago that Alex claims to actually be quite shy and certainly when you meet him offstage he seems a little different. Not in a bad way, I mean he seems at his most confident on stage. I guess different people deal with nerves and shyness differently.

Last week I went to see a gig by a guy called Colin Macintyre, he's one of the chattiest people ever at his shows, always telling stories of how he came up with songs, and how life growing up on Mull was. He adores being on stage and performing, and his gigs are much more fun than those where the artists don't do a lot of talking. Plus, he plays tiny venues because he's not that well-known so the interaction level goes right up :happy:

Archived