I did read the thread properly. I just said I think its a shame people are disappointed before they have even seen the show. Repeated incase you didnt read my post properly :rolleyes:

This isn't about being disappointed with a specific set, this is about Muse chosing 19 songs from their back catalogue and only playing a selection of those 19 songs at every show. There is no imagination in doing that and the future shows will be incredibly machine-like and stale if they don't mix it up

Touche.

People have seen the setlists though, regardless of whether we were there or not. This is not a criticism of Muses performance, far from it. They've sounded great on youtube.

The setlists are just incredibly stale.

As I said earlier how difficult can it be to rotate Bliss, B&H, Dead Star, CE, MKU - just a couple of different songs each gig.

Thats all that is needed, a bit of variation, so that they are at least thinking about what they're doing

when i see them at the 02 a couple of pillars going up and down wont make the gig more enjoyable if the setlist is extremely poor like it was tonight am afraid to say.

am just bored of the silly lights and the big sky dishes being more important than the actual music. i just want some proper rock and roll again :(

Which was why 2003-2004 was so good, 3 albums worth of quality songs and just a small screen and a little light show. They had to let the music do the entertaining, not the flashy lights.

The fact is that Muse sell tickets for about 50€ a piece. I am not sure, if concerts this expensive is the place to play songs like Feeling Good that are passé.

Gigs are a funny thing overall. Negative criticism is often too easily passed by, because they're playing music and blabla. If this was some other form of business, negative criticism would be a more serious matter.

There is a lot of 'You weren't there' or 'It's Muse, it doesn't matter what they play because it's Muse'.

We're only three fucking dates into the tour, for fuck's sake :LOL:

Actually, Muse have played 7 of their own shows and supported U2. In that time they've played a grand total of 19 different songs. 19! From 5 full length albums, an EP and countless b-sides.

which is why surely you would increase the setlist to accommodate the amount of songs you have?

Exactly. And they're doing less dates

But they're in a different league now! Can you imagine the reaction from the audience if they turned up at a stadium or arena with the kind of set up you describe.:LOL:

Besides that, I think the big sets are part of what Matt wants to do. I'm pretty sure, from what he says, that it's part of his expression as an artist. I reckon if he was denied that, he'd get bored and want to do something other than be in Muse tbh. Supposition I know but its just the impression I have from things he says.

I've seen them in an arena with just a little screen, the Absolution album artwork and a few lights, and they were amazing. I saw Oasis at Wembley Stadium with a minimalist set-up and they just rocked out, even Kasabian who supported them and just had a sign saying 'Kasabian' on it had the crowd going. Live Music is about the music suprisingly.

Last time I saw Muse indoors Matt looked bored to tears, they were only on stage for 1hr 15 minutes and played an incredibly dull set, and that was with all the lights and satelites.

ok i need to speak my opinion please dont stone me for this but......here it goes

one i understand that everyone paid good money to see them live and they expect a quality show with an average setlist of 20 songs i get it and i agree

the part i dont agree with is complaining about the songs on the set list......

i really dont care what songs they play they could play rick astley for all i care the fact that im seeing such an amazing band that are my idols is a dream come true and if they want to play FG then so what i love cave as much as the next muse fan but its there choice if they want to play it or not and i dont think fans harassing them to play certain songs is going to do it

also you cant jump to conclusions about the set lists were only a couple of dates in to the tour

plus i dont know if at the gigs fans have been heckleing them but personaly id be in a bad mood if at ever show i was being yelled at to play escape or cave or anything really

im satisfied with just seeing them live playing great tunes and enjoying myself which means not getting all worked up about hearing feeling good

that being said yes id like to hear some things switched up but thats up to them

*steps off soap box*

*let the stoning begin*

We're not asking for specific songs as such, just a bit of variation that shows Muse are aware they have a very good back catalogue and are aware that they themselves would get complacent if they turned up and did the same songs every night. And tickets are more expensive, so they should adjust their shows (i.e. play for longer) to reflect this.

This thread has made me chuckle (thank you, Dead-duck!), think alot and then plain sad. When I get sad, it's hard to phrase my thoughts and opinions coherently, so I'm only posting what this has made me feel for now.

I was really hyper after the Helsinki show (as some may have seen from my numerous posts around the boards :p), it was my first gig and they really did rock the arena. I loved the setlist, adored the Helsinki jam, gasped at the amazing visuals... And before anyone can dub me as a twilighter for actually loving the setlist (yes, Starlight, UD, SMBH etc very much included!), let me say two things:

First, I don't like Twilight and it makes me sad that people are being called silly teenage twilighters for liking some songs that are apparently not considered as "music for serious fans".

Second, I appreciate Muse and the variety in its music. I can sway and shed some tears when listening to GL or Unintended, I can rock out with US, SS etc or happily clap along to Starlight, and of course I'd be forever grateful to hear some great "forgotten oldies" or b-sides. I love them all. If they chose songs from one style, I'd be seriously disappointed. You may shoot me for thinking this, but I actually think the setlist was quite nicely balanced, it had something for everyone. (yes, except for the b-sides :p)

But after getting over my extreme happiness and over-excitement from seeing Muse live, I read some of the threads where people were bashing the setlist and accusing the band of being lazy... and suddenly the concert didn't seem so awesome anymore, all this negativity affected me maybe a bit too much. I have read through this entire thread and the previous gig threads and I understand why people are upset, I really do. But the band obviously has their own reasons for choosing the songs and setting up the gigs.

I think they are just doing what's fun (and yes, comfortable) for them. I'd really like to see some oldies live (and I'd die happily if they'd play Bliss again :p), but apparently it's just not what they wish to do. I'd rather have them choose a "cheesy and horrible" setlist and be happy on the stage than switching up the songs at every gig and feeling uncomfortable&anxious doing it. You know Muse is a bunch of perfectionists - or at least Matt is!

Ok, now I have the urge to say "I've lost the fucking plot!", cause I really did :facepalm: Honestly, somewhere was a point I was trying to get through, but being sleepy and dizzy apparently doesn't help much with coherency. I'm posting this anyway, feel free to bash away if it makes you feel better :) I certainly feel a bit better after getting some of this out of my system.

I get what you're saying, but don't you think there may be underlying reasons why their sets aren't 20 songs, other than they can't be bothered to do that. Also I should imagine it's rare for them to do a 15 song set, there must have been a reason. Maybe one of them wasn't well or something. They love performing. I just don't think they'd want to limit their set to "what they can get away with" out of laziness or bloody mindedness or anything like that.

Nope, there were quite a few 15/16 song sets on the BH&R tour at Muse headline shows, not just festival dates.

It seems to me that they have found their optimum length, what works for them, which is just under the 2 hour mark, and generally want to stick to that.

Take into account that at least 15 minutes of those 105 minutes are the intro, the gaps between songs for needless guitar changes, time to raise the pillars up and down, encore gaps, rehearsed riffs and jams with no spontenaity at all. As far as ACTUAL proper gigging is concerned, Muse are probably below 90 minutes at the moment.

They could add in an extra rare song, which incidentally they have done with cave, but as soon as they've played it once, everyone wants something else. These big tours are produced and practiced. I think it may be quite a lot of extra work to change even one of the songs every night, when they've fallen out of practice at performing them. Basically what is being asked from them is that they add in the rehearsal of another song for practically every night of the tour, and they've probably got enough on their plates performing the new songs at the moment.

And why do you think they spend weeks prior to the tour rehearsing? It's to build up a bank of songs to play live. When Radiohead rehearse for a tour, they rehearse over fifty songs from their entire back catalogue, so do Nine Inch Nails. Are you telling me that Muse went into rehearsals, rehearsed 20 songs and just said 'ah fuck it, that'll do - we'll just play the same ones over and over again'?

I also don't think it's fair to compare to other bands as people have been doing, because everyone's different. Think about the amount they have to remember each night, particularly Matt. Matt forgot how to play Collateral Damage and hasn't played it since as far as I know so he must have had his confidence dented.

The overwhelming majority of Muse's song are painfully simple to the point where me, a yokel from the West-Country, can reel off all of Chris' bass parts and more with no trouble at all. To suggest this is a reason for 17 song setlists is just missing the point. They rarely stray from 4/4 or 8/8 time and there's hardly any mad Dream Theater style technical wizardry to pull off.

He even forgot how to perform Newborn, so he's not infallible. He gets nervous, no doubt he feels under pressure sometimes, he's human. Fans say they like those little errors, but they'd soon start complaining if he started messing up on lots of the songs because he'd taken on too much.

Correct, errors, blips, tech issues, etc - they all make Muse seem more human. But, not playing the piano part to New Born? That's just silly. If anything, that's what's bred the error, as Matt will have been so used to playing and singing the piano part himself.

He does have a lot on his plate, being the singer, guitarist and pianist, as well as being really the only one who moves around on stage. All of that stuff has to be practiced, concentrated on and remembered. A lot of bands are set up differently to Muse, have more members to share the load.

Yes, Matt is the frontman but he's been the frontman for over ten years - he will be absolutely fundamentally used to what he has to do and what is required of him and he has done it with aplomb. But with Morgan there these days, and Chris to support him with vocal duties. Not only that, Matt's proved on numerous occasions, as have the rest of the band, that they're perfectly capable of playing 20-song setlists without a hitch. Wembley, Parc Des Princes, International Forum Tokyo, a handful of the 2006 dates, the big outdoor shows of 2007 in Europe, the American/Mexico shows in April 2007, Marlay Park, etc. They ARE capable of it, they're just not doing it.

It's just frustrating that on their biggest headline date to tour, a time to celebrate all that Muse have done over the years, The Resistance and Muse as a live band, they're just not stepping up their game. It's not as if the show is any flashier than the 2006 BH&R tour and that rotated 25 different songs.

I've said it hundreds of time but all that is needed is a little bit of variation! Just 2/3 songs in a 20 song setlist! It would be so so so EASY to do but they just don't! That's what's fuelling all this frustrated passion in this thread. It's been going on now for nigh on FIVE years. Just rotate and surprise a LITTLE BIT :'(.

Muse setlist for tonight:

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Guiding Light

Hysteria

United States of Eurasia

Soldiers Poem

Invincible

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Feeling Good (extended)

Variation, and a slight change to the order!

I don't agree with getting rid of the big sets. I think they are part of who Muse are. It wouldn't be the same without hearing of their crazy set ideas. The visuals for exogenesis for example were magnificent. Muse have always struck me as a band who want to please there fans with tresure hunts etc. Hopefully they'll see we're only complaining so they can go back to being britains best live band. Surely the band will enjoy themselves more by mìxing things up?

The riffs need to go. Or at least changed to something we haven't heard on every single tour.

And why do you think they spend weeks prior to the tour rehearsing? It's to build up a bank of songs to play live. When Radiohead rehearse for a tour, they rehearse over fifty songs from their entire back catalogue, so do Nine Inch Nails. Are you telling me that Muse went into rehearsals, rehearsed 20 songs and just said 'ah fuck it, that'll do - we'll just play the same ones over and over again'?

Don't forget they only went into the studio with the 11 songs that make up TR, instead of the usual practice of going in with 20-30 and choosing from the best.

Radiohead are a great example of what a band can do with setlists, they haven't played the same setlist in consecutive gigs for going on 15 years or something now. And because the majority of their lighting effects are reactionary to what they play, they can focus on the music and it doesn't matter if they go a bit loose. When I saw Radiohead at Manchester they played a massive setlist, something like 27 songs, and were on stage for 2 and a half hours in total. And their tickets were cheaper than Muse's. They also have songs like National Anthem and Everything In Its Right Place that will sound completely different every time they're played purely because of the methods they use like the radio, and the kaoss pad loops.

I suspect Jonny Greenwood heard the Exogenesis symphony and didn't exactly think it the greatest thing on Earth, given what he has made himself. Matt Bellamy is supposed to be one of the cleverest people in rock music, but we're really not hearing much in the way of innovation, either in tours or in recordings (TR and BHaR). Muse need to step out of the comfort zone they're in and really start to test themselves as a live band.

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Guiding Light

Hysteria

United States of Eurasia

Soldiers Poem

Invincible

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Feeling Good (extended)

I'm thinking...

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map Of The Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Guiding Light

Hysteria

United States Of Eurasia

Feeling Good

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

-----

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights Of Cydonia

O' wai...

Prediction

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Hysteria

Unintended

United States of Eurasia

Feeling Good/Cave

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Guiding Light

Time is Running Out

Plug in Baby

Unnatural Selection

Overture

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Ho hum de bum wum dum.

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Guiding Light

Hysteria

United States of Eurasia

Soldiers Poem

Invincible

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Feeling Good (extended)

I hope they don't play that set in Birmingham :erm:

I think this tour will prove to be a real turning point for where Muse go next with their stage shows, just as the album will be a turning point as to where they go when writing new material. The stage shows only really became a big thing when they started earning the money to do them, even the Absolution tour wasn't flashy. Plus, tickets on the Absolution tour were only £15 each. Although even those setlists were only 18 songs long. Like I said, it'd be nice to see a gig of two halves, where they play 10-12 songs then do their more theatrical bits in the second half. That way it keeps more people happy.

I really don't care about this to be honest.

Would I like to hear more variation? Yes. But I never expected it anyway, and probably haven't since Absolution. All Muse gigs are greatest hits gigs, always have been, so I was never expecting anything different. If you were then you're deluding yourself (see constant threads about 'will they play Recess/The Groove et al'). So completely pointless to be honest. They've always been like this so it's what I expect. I still paid the inflated ticket price because I like seeing them live. If you don't think it's worth it then don't buy a ticket. If you haven't paid for a ticket then I can't really see how you have a right to complain.

There's also a leet part of me that's happy I saw old songs and so I'm glad n00bs won't get to hear them. :p Makes the songs more special I think.

Although I thought the prices were rather expensive, seeing the vids from the gigs so far I think it's money well spent. They put on quite a good light show too so I'm not really feeling robbed. As the visuals seem to be so important, I can't see the setlist changing THAT much for the tour (so I wouldn't be surprised now if there was no 15 minute Exogenesis, which is a pity).

End of the day, it's no secret Muse always play greatest hits setlists. If you're fed up of seeing the same old songs, don't waste your money on a ticket. Buy a Radiohead ticket instead. :awesome:

I think this tour will prove to be a real turning point for where Muse go next with their stage shows, just as the album will be a turning point as to where they go when writing new material. The stage shows only really became a big thing when they started earning the money to do them, even the Absolution tour wasn't flashy. Plus, tickets on the Absolution tour were only £15 each. Although even those setlists were only 18 songs long. Like I said, it'd be nice to see a gig of two halves, where they play 10-12 songs then do their more theatrical bits in the second half. That way it keeps more people happy.

Dude, they're not the Manics! :LOL:

I'm sure Absolution tour was cliser to £25? Don't remember. But Matt did have his flashy Close Encounters piano, that impressed me lots!

Dude, they're not the Manics! :LOL:

I'm sure Absolution tour was cliser to £25? Don't remember. But Matt did have his flashy Close Encounters piano, that impressed me lots!

It was definitely £15, and I remember the Dalek piano :happy:

Haha, the Manics are just as bad for not varying their setlists! But I'm still gutted I missed out on the last tour where they played Journal in full...don't think I'll get to hear some of those songs live now :(

I really don't care about this to be honest.

Would I like to hear more variation? Yes. But I never expected it anyway, and probably haven't since Absolution. All Muse gigs are greatest hits gigs, always have been, so I was never expecting anything different. If you were then you're deluding yourself (see constant threads about 'will they play Recess/The Groove et al'). So completely pointless to be honest. They've always been like this so it's what I expect. I still paid the inflated ticket price because I like seeing them live. If you don't think it's worth it then don't buy a ticket. If you haven't paid for a ticket then I can't really see how you have a right to complain.

There's also a leet part of me that's happy I saw old songs and so I'm glad n00bs won't get to hear them. :p Makes the songs more special I think.

Although I thought the prices were rather expensive, seeing the vids from the gigs so far I think it's money well spent. They put on quite a good light show too so I'm not really feeling robbed. As the visuals seem to be so important, I can't see the setlist changing THAT much for the tour (so I wouldn't be surprised now if there was no 15 minute Exogenesis, which is a pity).

End of the day, it's no secret Muse always play greatest hits setlists. If you're fed up of seeing the same old songs, don't waste your money on a ticket. Buy a Radiohead ticket instead. :awesome:

You're saying that because you're not a truly Muse fan. Seriously, dude, Muse are going to the path of the mainstream, casualty and those are bad news that will affect - and are affecting - the quality of their albums and Live shows.

I really don't want my favorite band to go into the bad way. I want them to keep rocking out every time they play live, doing some innovative things and great albums. Only half of The Resistance are great songs (Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, etc.), the other half is only crap, and the live shows are almost the same every time they play in another place. Seriously, this is annoying and I'm really regretted for what I did getting the Ticket for my tour date. It is going to be my first Muse's show and I would like to see them ROCKING OUT some different and surprising songs! I'm tired of Starlight, Supermassive Black Holes and that popish stuff, srsly...

For an example, go and see the set lists of Nine Inch Nails. They play different songs in every show and they are very good live!

It was definitely £15, and I remember the Dalek piano :happy:

Haha, the Manics are just as bad for not varying their setlists! But I'm still gutted I missed out on the last tour where they played Journal in full...don't think I'll get to hear some of those songs live now :(

Haha I meant the epic numbers of songs acctually! :LOL:

It's weird, I keep thinking you were there but you weren't. It seems like you should always be there when I see the Manics. :erm:

You say that because you're not a truly Muse fan.

You say that because you are truly an idiot. I didn't read the rest of your reply to be honest, after such a dumb opening sentence.

It's weird, I keep thinking you were there but you weren't. It seems like you should always be there when I see the Manics. :erm:

You say that because you are truly an idiot. I didn't read the rest of your reply to be honest, after such a dumb opening sentence.

Hey, I was not offending you!

I was just saying that because of what you said. You're not being a truly Muse fan! That way, you're not wanting them to improve!

I should always be there whenever the Manics play, doesn't feel right otherwise :( I thought they'd do a second tour but there's no sign of one coming up. Damn you JDB, stop eating pies and start gigging again!

I should always be there whenever the Manics play, doesn't feel right otherwise :( I thought they'd do a second tour but there's no sign of one coming up. Damn you JDB, stop eating pies and start gigging again!

He's probably busy growing a beard to look like you. :D

You're saying that because you're not a truly Muse fan. Seriously, dude, Muse are going to the path of the mainstream, casualty and those are bad news that will affect - and are affecting - the quality of their albums and Live shows.

I really don't want my favorite band to go into the bad way. I want them to keep rocking out every time they play live, doing some innovative things and great albums. Only half of The Resistance are great songs (Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, etc.), the other half is only crap, and the live shows are almost the same every time they play in another place. Seriously, this is annoying and I'm really regretted for what I did getting the Ticket for my tour date. It is going to be my first Muse's show and I would like to see them ROCKING OUT some different and surprising songs! I'm tired of Starlight, Supermassive Black Holes and that popish stuff, srsly...

For an example, go and see the set lists of Nine Inch Nails. They play different songs in every show and they are very good live!

Sorry to break it to you, but Muse have been 'going the bad way' (Your words not mine - them being played on commercial radio doesn't make them bad musicians) ie. mainstream for many many years now.

You say you want innovation in an album, but then say the only great songs are Unnatural Selection & MK Ultra - which both could've slotted quite comfortably on Origin/Absolution. Not exactly 100% fresh & innovative :erm:

Well I'm not going to answer all the replies, I've said my piece and done with commenting! It's going round in circles. But since this bit is getting personal:

So since when have you been a fan exactly? Given that some of us have been for ten years, perhaps you understand the frustration? I see that you're always getting (over)emotional when people voice their opinions, but let's not be a pussy about those things... There is nothing wrong with giving an opinion (harassing is wrong, as always, but that's nothing new), and the people driving this thread initially (Clunge, Max, me to an extent) are as mindful and respectful of the band's needs as they should be.

Just a random lesson may be to chill out and put things into perspective before going emo

I have been a fan of Muse for a few years, it's just that I've only started posting on the site recently.

However I do know what diehard fans are like and to be honest the fans on here are not coming over to me as any different from other fans. I can see the points, and I can understand the frustration, but basically the motivation is selfish, which is why I argue against it, not because I don't think Muse can cope with it, not because I'm going emo, even though I do like to see people, who have given a lot, shown respect, but because I think there is an alternative view to it simply being what you can get out of them, and what tickets cost and all that. I always think of people who are well known as people first and foremost, rather than commodities. It's just how I think.

I'm not aiming this at the long term fans you mention at all. I don't know any of you and I do respect that people have followed Muse for a long time, and supported them. It's just that everyone appears to want to jump on the bandwagon. I have seen Muse being dished out endless crap since I've been posting on this site regularly, which firstly doesn't fit well with the sort of person I am, and also I don't see how it is helpful. It doesn't get to me that much though, particularly as the majority of fans are quite young and I have no idea what Muse feel about it. They may like it for all I know and would be exactly the same themselves, but I would feel sad if it did get to them.

It also appears to me that the people attending the concerts are being blown away by them, so this doesn't seem to be particularly reflective of what is actually going on out there, rather it's all happening in a bubble, which I'm allowing myself to get dragged into as well incidentally, because tbh there are more important things than what songs are on a setlist.:rolleyes:

Sorry if I have said anything out of place, it's just my impression.:$ If I do get more emotionally involved, at least I'm providing a bit of balance!:p

Sorry to break it to you, but Muse have been 'going the bad way' (Your words not mine - them being played on commercial radio doesn't make them bad musicians) ie. mainstream for many many years now.

You say you want innovation in an album, but then say the only great songs are Unnatural Selection & MK Ultra - which both could've slotted quite comfortably on Origin/Absolution. Not exactly 100% fresh & innovative :erm:

I was saying that they are good songs, not innovative. I want precisely that: Innovative and fresh songs!

If I can remember, Muse are mainstream since BHAR or something.

But yeah, let's talk about live shows and let this discussion for another topics. :p

Archived