Guyz are there any alternatives to the Digitech Whammy - with just the pitch shifting part and no BS. Preferably under £50?

Your going to struggle really, the only thing in that price range is the Behringer pitch shifter pedal but that has no expression pedal.

The Behringer can be connected to an expression pedal?

Its crazy how no one has made a stripped down version of the whammy with just pitch shifting... thats a gap in the market right there ¬_¬

It patented and pretty complex I think.

hurhurhur my master plan is:

buy this:

Expression pedal

By the Behringer using a £35 credit I have there.

Im not sure if this will work like a pitch shifter in a whammy though, could someone clarify if it would or not?

you can't plug an expression pedal into ANYTHING. it has to have an expression pedal jack. so the answer is... no it wouldn't work.

you can't plug an expression pedal into ANYTHING. it has to have an expression pedal jack. so the answer is... no it wouldn't work.

It does have an expression pedal jack...

The thing is does the pitch shifter during normal use (with out exp pedal) just shove everything up, for example an octave? Because if this was the case then with an expression pedal would it increase the pitch incrementally or would it just blend between the original signal and the pitch 1 octave up. Then again I suppose that would be a harmoniser. I think I just answered my own question :happy:

cheers guys

It does have an expression pedal jack...

The thing is does the pitch shifter during normal use (with out exp pedal) just shove everything up, for example an octave? Because if this was the case then with an expression pedal would it increase the pitch incrementally or would it just blend between the original signal and the pitch 1 octave up. Then again I suppose that would be a harmoniser. I think I just answered my own question :happy:

cheers guys

yeh, look online for the manual i reckon :)

anything you can find. matt uses a glass one, but i don't you'd notice much difference between what you use.

OK, thanks. There are some glass ones in the guitar shop near me, the problem is I don't know what size to get and you can't try them out without buying them.

Also, which phaser (under 100 pounds) would be best for muse songs? (I've looked at the Phase 90 and Small Stone, but I don't know which is better or if there are other alternatives)

OK, thanks. There are some glass ones in the guitar shop near me, the problem is I don't know what size to get and you can't try them out without buying them.

Also, which phaser (under 100 pounds) would be best for muse songs? (I've looked at the Phase 90 and Small Stone, but I don't know which is better or if there are other alternatives)

phase 90. full of win.

surely you can check which fits your finger!

phase 90. full of win.

I disagree, the small stone is cheaper and it has the colour switch which gives you an extra option to the phase 90.

this is obviously not the best place to ask, but i reckon some people here would know.

i has logic for my mac, and an apogee one interface along with a single SM57. That's basically what I'm recording with (at home anyway).

Now, I can't figure something out....when I check the sound through my headphones (just to figure out where the mic sounds best)... it sounds fizzy as hell. I end up moving it to wherever. (in this case, backed off a fair bit)

BUT, after it's recorded, it's extremely muffled like you would expect if you back a mic off that much. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.... the headphones are plugged into the interface, rather than the computer if that matters? Basically, I don't seem to be getting the actual sound through the headphones UNTIL after I record.

any thoughts?

I'll have to find the manual, but this should be fairly simple to figure out...I think

this is obviously not the best place to ask, but i reckon some people here would know.

i has logic for my mac, and an apogee one interface along with a single SM57. That's basically what I'm recording with (at home anyway).

Now, I can't figure something out....when I check the sound through my headphones (just to figure out where the mic sounds best)... it sounds fizzy as hell. I end up moving it to wherever. (in this case, backed off a fair bit)

BUT, after it's recorded, it's extremely muffled like you would expect if you back a mic off that much. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.... the headphones are plugged into the interface, rather than the computer if that matters? Basically, I don't seem to be getting the actual sound through the headphones UNTIL after I record.

any thoughts?

I'll have to find the manual, but this should be fairly simple to figure out...I think

nah pretty sure you should be getting the whole sound through headphones. as a test, though, you could run a jack cable from the headphone out port to a line in and record from the mic and that line in simultaneously. when you're done have a listen to both and if you phase reverse one, the sound should disappear if they null (are the same).

are you monitoring using headphones when you are playing in the same room? i think you're probably getting tonnes of bleed from the actual guitar amp in your ears, then having to turn up the headphones and the only sound you really hear most from the headphones (due to the masking effect of the amplifier) is the fizzy part.

it could be something to do with fletcher munson loudness curves, alongside some amplitude masking from your amp.

Fletcher-Munson.jpg

unless you have a pair of headphones or IEMS with great rejection 26dB+ or a separate isolated recording room and control rool, then its hard to judge the sound coming from a mic when the source is loud. i always found i place the mic, record a little and play back. its very tedious, but in the end after much tweaking the results are better as you can actually hear.

if you were using two mics you'd be in trouble though, although you might be able to hear the phasing in the headphones..

if this isnt the case, maybe you have some plugins activated in your logic project, maybe an eq with a lowpass on either the guitar channel or the stereo bus?

hi there!

quick question (or maybe not)..well, straight to the point:

I have an Ibanex grg270dx and a Vox VT30 (and i love them both), no band (nor plans to get into one), no recording studio, no nothing... just an enthusiast guitar player.. I play at home or with friends.

Now, onto the question:

The guitar doesn't sound to 'clear'.. it feels like there are too much Mid and not so much treble/bass. I usually have my amp's EQ with the Mid's knob all the way down.. and I still feel there's room for improvement..

So would I benefit form a pickup change, and if so, which pickups would you recommend?

(ps: i should probably point out i'm not much of a metal player, just good-old rock-ish tunes... muse, pink floyd, gary moore, dire straits, queen, some santana...)

I had a similar guitar and I agree, the stock pick ups leave a lot to be desired.

Budget? Humbuckers or P90s? Do you want to change the middle single coil too?

well, i'm a bit of a pickup noob so I don't really know what to expect out different types of pickups.. From what i've heard, P90's should be able to cover a more dynamic range of sounds, from fender-ish to gibson-ish.... but that's the internet 'talking' so I wouldn't know for sure

In my situation (playing at home) I probably won't really benefit from high end pickups (bare knuckles and such) and I wouldn't mind budget pickups (as long as the sound improves)... I saw a few cheap (too cheap :p ) Artec pickups on ebay and as far as reviews go, they don't seem to sound that cheap.. but pretty much any improvement is accepted =)

(btw, i'd probably change all of the pickups .. or at least leave the single coil for last..)

thanks =)

nah pretty sure you should be getting the whole sound through headphones. as a test, though, you could run a jack cable from the headphone out port to a line in and record from the mic and that line in simultaneously. when you're done have a listen to both and if you phase reverse one, the sound should disappear if they null (are the same).

are you monitoring using headphones when you are playing in the same room? i think you're probably getting tonnes of bleed from the actual guitar amp in your ears, then having to turn up the headphones and the only sound you really hear most from the headphones (due to the masking effect of the amplifier) is the fizzy part.

it could be something to do with fletcher munson loudness curves, alongside some amplitude masking from your amp.

Fletcher-Munson.jpg

unless you have a pair of headphones or IEMS with great rejection 26dB+ or a separate isolated recording room and control rool, then its hard to judge the sound coming from a mic when the source is loud. i always found i place the mic, record a little and play back. its very tedious, but in the end after much tweaking the results are better as you can actually hear.

if you were using two mics you'd be in trouble though, although you might be able to hear the phasing in the headphones..

if this isnt the case, maybe you have some plugins activated in your logic project, maybe an eq with a lowpass on either the guitar channel or the stereo bus?

just one mic, but i'll check the plugins and all that. the amp wasn't too loud when i did this, so i wasn't getting too much of the actual sound bleeding through. head go boom.

and your listening to the monitored signal on the same device (headphones/speakers) as your recorded signal? indeed strange.

Yeah, I have the headphones plugged into the One (unless it should be plugged directly into the mac?) .. It must be something with the settings - I had this EXACT same problem with cubase and the firebox

Yeah, I have the headphones plugged into the One (unless it should be plugged directly into the mac?) .. It must be something with the settings - I had this EXACT same problem with cubase and the firebox

you should probably be using the one as your input and output device, converters are much better than the mac built in. if you're getting the same problem with cubase and firefox, i think maybe its a psychoacoustic thing, possibly to do with your headphones or just your head! with different hardware and software i dont see how it could be anything else tbh, afaik theres not a global setting that will filter monitoring only on two entirely different pieces of hardware

well, i'm a bit of a pickup noob so I don't really know what to expect out different types of pickups.. From what i've heard, P90's should be able to cover a more dynamic range of sounds, from fender-ish to gibson-ish.... but that's the internet 'talking' so I wouldn't know for sure

In my situation (playing at home) I probably won't really benefit from high end pickups (bare knuckles and such) and I wouldn't mind budget pickups (as long as the sound improves)... I saw a few cheap (too cheap :p ) Artec pickups on ebay and as far as reviews go, they don't seem to sound that cheap.. but pretty much any improvement is accepted =)

(btw, i'd probably change all of the pickups .. or at least leave the single coil for last..)

thanks =)

check out GFS pickups. they are really cheap and sound good! the dream 90 is great for the neck, and either a mean 90 or the PAF humbucker for the bridge.

Archived