Are you talking about for with guitar or bass?

The design of the cab generally has more effect on the frequency response than the size of the driver.

Guitar, but with octave pedals and all that, after something to pump out more sub bass than should be legal.

Some 15" cabs are really bassy, others aren't. Some 2 x 10s are really bassy and others aren't.

You can get some very small active subs which might fit inside your cab.

You could try to find a bassier cab. It all depends. If you're prepared to carry around an extra cab i'd try to find another 2 x 12" with more low end.

EDIT: The obvious solution is to buy a 300W 1 x 15" bass combo cheap, like a peavey, and run this at the same time as your guitar rig. You can use the power amp input.

Some 15" cabs are really bassy, others aren't. Some 2 x 10s are really bassy and others aren't.

You can get some very small active subs which might fit inside your cab.

You could try to find a bassier cab. It all depends. If you're prepared to carry around an extra cab i'd try to find another 2 x 12" with more low end.

EDIT: The obvious solution is to buy a 300W 1 x 15" bass combo cheap, like a peavey, and run this at the same time as your guitar rig. You can use the power amp input.

Another amp would be ideal, because I could run the signal from my JMP to the other amp and EQ them differently. Just I'd want another Super Bass or a valve head of some kind, so would get pricey :facepalm:

so a guitar head into a bass amp could be better than a guitar head into a guitar cab?

confusion. i have it.

No, generally the speakers are designed for different purposes, so have different qualities.

Personally find bass heads into guitar cabs works best for guitars, but that's obvious seeing as if you trace guitar amps back, they lead back to a bass amp.

Guitar cabs have a more limited frequency response and are less sensitive in general which means you get less dynamic range, more distortion - not a bad thing.

Although larger drivers are generally associated with "more bass" it's not necessarily the case.

I'm not an expert by any means, but there is an expert who posts on basschat.co.uk

Right, so, for whatever reason, we all know that the Kaoss Pad(s) are a bitch for being detrimental (sp?) to tone. So, if it was true bypass, once you turn it on/off, there'd be a big change in tone, and it would sound shit, right? So ideally, if you wanted it all to sound balanced as you turned it on/off, you'd need to have some sort of booster around the KP, that would come on at the same time, ie:

Off:

Guitar > Signal Bypass > Amp

On:

Guitar > KP + Boost > Amp

Obviously there's issues like "But how do i turn on two effects with one foot?" but that's not important. I have 2 issues.

1. Should the booster go BEFORE the kp (sort of like to overboost the signal as it goes into the kp so the kp brings it back to normal levels) or AFTER the kp (so the boost is just boosting a weakened signal) ?

2. What booster would work well? I have a SHO, but, i know from trying it that the the levels of gain you need on the SHO starts to make the signal all overdriven sounding. So it needs a cleaner boost. An MXR MicroAmp or LBP-1 seem like logical choices, but has anyone got one of these or had any experience with them?

Right, so, for whatever reason, we all know that the Kaoss Pad(s) are a bitch for being detrimental (sp?) to tone. So, if it was true bypass, once you turn it on/off, there'd be a big change in tone, and it would sound shit, right? So ideally, if you wanted it all to sound balanced as you turned it on/off, you'd need to have some sort of booster around the KP, that would come on at the same time, ie:

Off:

Guitar > Signal Bypass > Amp

On:

Guitar > KP + Boost > Amp

Obviously there's issues like "But how do i turn on two effects with one foot?" but that's not important. I have 2 issues.

1. Should the booster go BEFORE the kp (sort of like to overboost the signal as it goes into the kp so the kp brings it back to normal levels) or AFTER the kp (so the boost is just boosting a weakened signal) ?

2. What booster would work well? I have a SHO, but, i know from trying it that the the levels of gain you need on the SHO starts to make the signal all overdriven sounding. So it needs a cleaner boost. An MXR MicroAmp or LBP-1 seem like logical choices, but has anyone got one of these or had any experience with them?

How have you got yours connected up? I've put mine in a true bypass loop in the past so I could switch it in and out of the chain and there's no drop in tone whatsoever. Now it's just in the FX loop of my amp because the bypass wasn't necessary. They've got to be decent, otherwise DJs running audio through then would have shit sound.

yeah, see my amp doesn't have an fx loop. VOX FAIL! :( so it's just in my fx chain. I was going to make a little box for it that'd basically be a true bypass boost box type thing. There's a few effects out there that suck the tone when they're in an fx chain, so i was going to make a box like so:

Signal in > FX IN (stereo jack) > [THE EFFECT, eg KP] > FX OUT (Mono jack) > small boost > Signal Out

So it's basically a true bypass box with a boost in it. That way, with those effects that suck tone in the fx chain, you can balance it all out, and not lose much tone.

I need a new amp.... :(

Archived