Yeah I got another nick at the back where the battery cavity is... the wood must be proper soft to get all this as I'm treating it proper carefully, they appear out of no where! Also just noticed my kill switch isnt working 100%. Just had it on and I could still play... erm.

it's only supposed to work in the up or down position, but it's working in the middle position? :erm:

they tend to act up sometimes - the one in my other guitar needed replacing, but that was after four or so years.

and i don't think it's the wood, but just that the finish isn't gloss or whatever.

Damn...I'm going to have to be careful if/when I get mine XD

Haha...Yeah, that's cool thanks...Just curious to see what it can do...I've found a couple of videos on YouTube of people experimenting a little bit, but I'm interested to see it put through its paces a bit more =)

cool, I'll send you a PM once I get it sorted.

Yeah I got another nick at the back where the battery cavity is... the wood must be proper soft to get all this as I'm treating it proper carefully, they appear out of no where! Also just noticed my kill switch isnt working 100%. Just had it on and I could still play... erm.

That may be something to do with the sustainer. On my Fernandes, with the volume all the way down and the sustainer on I can still play, albeit very quiet. With the sustainer off it's silent though.

The scratches sound pretty bad, you would expect the finish to be reasonably sturdy for £3,600 or however much it was.

From time to time mine does that. Just think the switch doesn't always throw properly?

It is most likely just the finish. I can imagine the red is protected like a tank.

I wouldn't say that. I don't know exactly what the finish is made of, but it's certainly not as thick as one of those poly finishes you find on most modern guitars. (which is a good thing)

I take good care of mine, and they're only showing average play wear really. My MB-1 has a tiny dent on the bottom and some light surface scratches...that first tele I got probably has the most wear. A small dent on the back of the neck, and a few scratches on the back (think these were there before I bought it!)

The finish on the stealth DC isn't that durable either (though it's not exactly the same as the MB-1). I managed to scratch the finish while restringing :facepalm:

but yes, don't let it bother you - especially to the point where you don't want to play it!

I wouldn't say that. I don't know exactly what the finish is made of, but it's certainly not as thick as one of those poly finishes you find on most modern guitars. (which is a good thing)

I take good care of mine, and they're only showing average play wear really. My MB-1 has a tiny dent on the bottom and some light surface scratches...that first tele I got probably has the most wear. A small dent on the back of the neck, and a few scratches on the back (think these were there before I bought it!)

The finish on the stealth DC isn't that durable either (though it's not exactly the same as the MB-1). I managed to scratch the finish while restringing :facepalm:

but yes, don't let it bother you - especially to the point where you don't want to play it!

Speaking of the finishes...does anyone know what they use on the guitars? Nitro, acrylic lacquer, polyurethane, polyesther?

normal as in both the red and black ones?

There's a pretty easy way to test it if anyone's feeling brave. Well not easier than a phone call/email.

oh i thought you meant their guitars in general

not entirely sure about the black one, but to describe the red one, it doesn't feel quite as thick and plastic-y as an average poly finish. acrylic lacquer maybe?

oh i thought you meant their guitars in general

not entirely sure about the black one, but to describe the red one, it doesn't feel quite as thick and plastic-y as an average poly finish. acrylic lacquer maybe?

Well it really depends on the poly if it feels as thick and plastic-y. I use automotive polyurethane clear on my guitars and it goes on waaay thinner (if you have some experience) and seems to feel much better than your average polyester finish on low end fenders/gibsons. My guess would be that they used poly clear on the red ones because it doesn't actually matter how thick you put it on it all dries the same speed because they chemically cure. The clear has to have some extra thickness to go over the glitter I would think. I'm really surprised they don't give the finish specs on the website.

Not sure really, but it's definitely not as thick as what you'd find on most modern guitars. When I brought it in for a setup, the guy had the neck off to adjust, and I recall there was some exposed paint in there....maybe that's a way of telling? next time i'll take some pictures

Oh, and looking at the pictures of Olly's MB-1, it's apparently the same finish this other guitar I sold a while back had.

30485_385883762608_504037608_3575499_5027584_n.jpg

seems like they do two types of matte finishes. This one (and apparently the MB-1) has a slightly 'harder' feeling finish...if that makes sense. it's highly textured, but it doesn't feel like a matte finish. i couldn't tell how thick it was though.

Mine does that from time to time when I'm using the FF and Sustainer :$

Oh, and I agree with Olly (I think?) that the wood is really soft, not just the finish. Pics after finals week :LOL:

Main article on the MB-1

Artist approved and extremely limited edition, this Matt Bellamy Manson model is a rare beast indeed. David Greeves finds his muse.

The phenominal success of British alt rockers Muse has made Matt Bellamy a de facto guitar god for a whole generation of young players. Intrinsically tied up in the look and sound of the band are Bellamy's custom-made electric guitars, designed and built in collaboration with Devon based luthier Hugh Manson and equipped with all manner of on board electronic trickery.

In a marketplace swollen with all manner of signature guitars - many of which are little different to the standard model, save for a scribble on the headstock and a much higher price tag - the Manson MB-1 really does stand out. The model's many unusual features, such as the kill switch, Fernades Sustainer and MIDI controller pad, play a key role in Bellamy's playing style. Fans looking to imitate him note-for-note can't exactly pick up any old guitar, so a faithful replica is genuinely welcome. And unlike many 'exclusive' signature models, the MB-1 is also genuinely very limited edition - getting hold of one will involve putting your name on the list and waiting your turn. But will the wait be worth it?

Body and Neck:

Matt Bellamy's custom guitars have undergone a steady evolution since the first Manson-built model, nicknamed the DeLorean. That guitar incorporated a Roland MIDI pickup and the guts of a Z Vex Fuzz Factory and an MXR Phase 90, features that have been replaced or augmented by first a copper theremin plate, then a ribbon controller and now this backlit, multicoloured MIDI touch screen. The on going theme behind these changes is a continual quest for ever more creative potential, giving Bellamy the means to explore the final frontiers of his unique brand of space rock and boldly go where no guitarist has gone before.

Aside from a few tweaks, one constant throughout all these changes has been the body shape. Originally sketched out on the floor of the old Manson shop. Vaugely Tele-esque, it features a more pointed cutaway horn on the treble side and an enlarged shoulder on the bass side, though this latter is less pronounced than on early Bellamy models. The shape might look ungainly at first, but it makes a lot of sense when strapped on. The guitar is balanced and comfortable, thanks to shallow forarm and rib cage contours, while the weight is pretty much ideal at 3.5Kg - all that extra hardware seems to be cancelled out by the wood removed to accommodate it.

The alder body is augmented by an eye catching red glitter finish, repeated on the headstock, which adds £200 to the price of the standard matte black - sorry, Matt black - finish. In contrast, the rosewood fingerboard is completely unadorned, aside from some small side dots which we initially found a little hard to pick out. The rest of this bolt on neck is carved from some attractive bird's eye maple.

If the neck looks good, it feels even better in the hand. The profile is fairly slim with the softest hint of a V in the lower positions. It's extremely comfortable and, thanks to the faultless fret work and setup, and the fretboard's compound radius, becoming progressively flatter as you ascend the neck, playability can only be described as excellent. The only thing remotely resembling a fault that we can find is a small area of untidy finish leaving a sharp edge where the cutaway meets the neck. This seems strangely out of place on what is otherwise a very well made high-performance machine.

Hardware & Parts:

There's no shortage of hardware highlights to discuss, particularly as the review model comes fully loaded with Bellamy's favoured control knobs and tuner keys, which are custom made and adding £250 to the base price. The Knurled volume and tone knobs offer plenty of grip and the round tuner keys also work well, though they take a bit more getting used to - try to turn them as you normally would and you'll find your finger trapped! All these are nice extras, even though the price seems a little steep.

Next to the volume and tone knobs there's a three way pickup selector, while a second three way toggle on the shoulder acts as a kill switch - the signal is on when the switch is up or down and off when centred - and allows for a greater range of creative effects than a simple two way on/off switch would. Two further mini switches near to the control screen relate to the Fernandes Sustainer humbucker in the neck position. The first turns it on, allowing you to hold any note or chord pretty much indefinitely, while the second takes you from standard sustain mode to harmonic mode, which accentuates the fifth harmonic of the note being played for an induced feedback effect.

In the bridge position is an MBK-2 humbucker, wound by Bare Knuckle Pickups to Manson's spec. With a DC resistance of around 16kohms, there should be no shortage of output here, while the MBK-2s fitted to this run of signature guitars are apparently wound to sound darker than stock.

So what of the guitar's MIDI capabilities? Often wrongly described as a 'Kaoss Pad', while it does incorporate some components from Korg's touch-screen effects box, this is Infact a custom designed MIDI controller. There are no on board effects - rather; the screen can be used to control any bit of MIDI compatible outboard gear via a MIDI output next to the guitar's side-mounted jack socket. Though it has been designed principally to interface with Bellamy's Whammy pedal and Kaoss Pad, with only a little MIDI know how, you can use this screen - which changes colour as you rub your finger around it - to create all manner of cool filter, fuzz and synth effects, or even control software plug-ins. A 'hold' button is located just below the screen.

Sounds:

A quick acoustic strum is immediately incouraging - the guitar feels nice and resonant with abundant sustain. Plugged in, the MBK-2 bridge humbucker puts in an extremely impressive performance. High output humbuckers can so often sound hard, nasal and unpleasant through a clean amp, but this pickup fares very well. Pile on the distortion, however, and it's simply excellent. Through a cranked amp, the tone is ground-poundingly heavy but never loses clarity and definition - we can immediately see how crucial this is for Bellamy's intricate high gain riffing.

After this, the Fernandes Sustainer humbucker is distinctly disappointing. It's obviously good to have a slightly mellower sound available to counterbalance the might of the MBK-2, but this pickup sounds dull and muddy in comparison, with noticeable more background noise. Of course it's the pickup's Sustainer capabilities rather than it's sound that earn it a place on this guitar and in this role it really completes the picture, sustaining notes while your picking hand is free to go to town on the MIDI controller or kill switch. The creative potential here really is huge, limited only by the player's own abilities and imagination.

Conclusion:

For years, it seemed like we might never see a Matt Bellamy model such as this. The standing agreement between Bellamy and Hugh Manson was that his custom made guitars would each be one offs. Considering this, it must be slightly frustrating for Muse fans that the MB-1 is so hard to get hold of. Relatively few are being made and getting hold of one is not easy, even if you have the considerable cash required. However, Manson stresses that the guitar is not deliberately exclusive and the workshop makes only as many as he feels is possible while maintaining high standards.

When it comes to weighing up whether this guitar is appropriately priced and represents value for money, the task is essentially impossible. This guitar is in a niche of it's own - there is nothing remotely similar to compare it with, so in a sense it simply costs what it costs. And considering the demand for these Manson guitars, there's clearly no shortage of guitarists willing to stump up the cash. What can we say for sure is that, in terms of performance, this is a very good guitar with huge creative potential, not just for Muse fans but for anyone with the imagination to use it to the full.

GB Verdict:

Gold Stars:

- superb playability

- Great sounds from the MBK-2

-Huge creative potential

Black Marks:

- Sustainer pickup sounds are disappointing

Ideal For:

Matt Bellamy fans, of course, and anyone seeking a unique, high performance music making machine.

GB Rating:

4.5 / 5

I'll do the PIB article later, this one took long enough to type up.

Archived