Oh come on guys, it's not dreadful. It's already way better than Aftermath, Resistance and Follow Me imho, though that is admittedly not great praise. A bit predictable in places (the Queen harmonies...) and not sure there's as much of a payoff as there could be. It could have been longer, with a more interesting solo and a big return to the main melody at the end, with a tonne more stuff thrown in. The DIG DOWN bit is also not great but it will probably be pretty funny live.

EDIT: Have to confess I am struggling to rank it higher than any Muse singles other than those 3 at the moment

I always forget about Resistance and Aftermath. Yeah, I probably like it more than those too, but still: boooring.

Frontman Matt Bellamy says of it: “When I was writing this song, I was looking to counteract the current negativity in the world and give inspiration, optimism and hope to people to fight for the causes they believe in; that as individuals we can choose to change the world if we want to.”

Now read again in Bono's voice.

To quote a once-great band: How did it come to this?

Frontman Matt Bellamy says of it: “When I was writing this song, I was looking to counteract the current negativity in the world and give inspiration, optimism and hope to people to fight for the causes they believe in; that as individuals we can choose to change the world if we want to.”

Now read again in Bono's voice.

To quote a once-great band: How did it come to this?

He's been saying shit like that since Abso.

Come on guys, if you don't like the song then whatevs but it's a bit extreme to act like this is some kind of turning point for the band.

Oh come on guys, it's not dreadful. It's already way better than Aftermath, Resistance and Follow Me imho, though that is admittedly not great praise. A bit predictable in places (the Queen harmonies...) and not sure there's as much of a payoff as there could be. It could have been longer, with a more interesting solo and a big return to the main melody at the end, with a tonne more stuff thrown in. The DIG DOWN bit is also not great but it will probably be pretty funny live.

EDIT: Have to confess I am struggling to rank it higher than any Muse singles other than those 3 at the moment

Resistance is way better than those songs, imho.

He's been saying shit like that since Abso.

Come on guys, if you don't like the song then whatevs but it's a bit extreme to act like this is some kind of turning point for the band.

I agree. It's not a great song but Muse made Dead Inside just on their last record and as far as pop goes, they pretty much peaked there.

The sooner they disband the better. From 2nd Law on, with a few exceptions, they just shit on their own legacy. No wonder people tend to smirk when I mention being a Muse fan.

Dig Down is just awful. How could they listen to the song and think "Yeah, that sounds good, we're pretty happy with what we achieved here".

Now - I love electronic, I like pop and I don't hate gospel (Brandon Flowers did it right with his "Still Want You") but this sounds uninspired, cheesy and boring. What the hell, Muse?

Drones felt like they are moving back on track. But then it's a setback now.

I'm starting to lose faith.

Dig Down is just awful. How could they listen to the song and think "Yeah, that sounds good, we're pretty happy with what we achieved here".

Crazy concept here, but it IS possible for an artist to write whatever music they want and enjoy writing. Same goes with fans, some people actually *SHOCK* like the song.

The sooner they disband the better. From 2nd Law on, with a few exceptions, they just shit on their own legacy.

Agree with the legacy comment, they're shitting on it with this nonsense.

:LOL:

Guys, come on, read it back and take a deep breath before clicking 'post'.

Seen this complaint a fair amount as far back as Dead Inside's release but I've never really got it. IIRC, they delivered pretty much exactly what they said they would for once - a relatively stripped back, rock-based album.

Dead Inside is one of my favorite tracks from the album, but alongside Reapers, The Handler and Mercy (on a good day) I consider them all outliers on an average-at-best album. The album has the instrumentation but it doesn't really feel like it has any of the energy or inspiration. The Globalist drags way too long and has a boring finale, Defector / Revolt feel redundant alongside each other and Psycho is the most uninspired track they could ever use to say "we're back to making heavy music".

It was only a step in the right direction in the sense that Muse rediscovered what it meant to have consistent sounds - at least compared to The 2nd Law - but the songwriting left much to be desired. Hell in some aspects I thought what highs there was to find in The 2nd Law were actually better than Drones.

There's always posts like this after every release. Nothing will compare to the initial shitstorm that came from SMBH.

I still think despite BH&R being the line-in-the-sand transition that it gets way too much shit from fans. As far as being a stadium pop rock record it's pretty fantastic, and I'd argue as an album it's even better than Absolution.

Crazy concept here, but it IS possible for an artist to write whatever music they want and enjoy writing. Same goes with fans, some people actually *SHOCK* like the song.

You're right, some artists become so full of themsevles that they end up putting out these monstrosities like Dig Down or new Linkin Park stuff. Some fans will just like anything, but I agree - some might genuinely like it. I feel sorry for them.

Dead Inside is one of my favorite tracks from the album, but alongside Reapers, The Handler and Mercy (on a good day) I consider them all outliers on an average-at-best album. The album has the instrumentation but it doesn't really feel like it has any of the energy or inspiration. The Globalist drags way too long and has a boring finale, Defector / Revolt feel redundant alongside each other and Psycho is the most uninspired track they could ever use to say "we're back to making heavy music".

It was only a step in the right direction in the sense that Muse rediscovered what it meant to have consistent sounds - at least compared to The 2nd Law - but the songwriting left much to be desired. Hell in some aspects I thought what highs there was to find in The 2nd Law were actually better than Drones.

But my point was that they put out what they said they would, they didn't change their minds or mislead anyone. If you were disappointed by the quality then that's something different, they can't control that.

:LOL:

Guys, come on, read it back and take a deep breath before clicking 'post'.

They're just being overly dramatic, but they're not entirely wrong. If the guys are not very inspired, they should not force themselves to release new stuff only for the sake of it.

I do agree with the idea of them disbanding, but only temporarily though.

But my point was that they put out what they said they would, they didn't change their minds or mislead anyone. If you were disappointed by the quality then something different, they can't control that.

I wasn't implying they misled anyone, I was only speaking in qualitative terms. As far as that went, the majorly hyped return left much to be desired.

You're right, some artists become so full of themsevles that they end up putting out these monstrosities like Dig Down or new Linkin Park stuff. Some fans will just like anything, but I agree - some might genuinely like it. I feel sorry for them.

Why the fuck would you feel sorry for someone genuinely liking a song? Get over yourself.

Hell in some aspects I thought what highs there was to find in The 2nd Law were actually better than Drones.

Wait, better than Drones as a whole, or Drones' highs? Reapers and The Handler are streets ahead of everything on T2L (except possibly maybe Animals).

You absolutely need to get over yourself :rolleyes:

There's always posts like this after every release. Nothing will compare to the initial shitstorm that came from SMBH.

SMBH is a really good song for what it is. I'm all for bands revolving and I embraced that transition from Absolution to BHAR. The 2nd Law though was terrible overall for me, summed up by how bad Panic Station is.

They gave us a bit of everything with Drones and when it's good, it's really, really good. Dig Down, however, offers nothing new to what we've heard over the past six or seven years. It's just a shitter version, and is simply boring imo.