Just got in and gave it a listen. I've got a more positive view of it than when I first heard Madness, which I didn't really like when I first heard it. Chorus is boring. Guitar solo and the long sustained note in the final section is good though.

Video made me smile. I did like the idea of the band being VR spam. :chuckle:

I really liked T2L, it was a fun album and I didn't mind the musical variety. The first time I heard Madness and Panic Station I said to myself that I wouldn't mind having Muse go down that road.

After the forced "deep" lyrical content of Drones, I very much welcome this new song. Not since TR had Matt written okay lyrics that were not cringeworthy (some will disagree).

As Muse struggled to get that heavy sound into Drones, I really like that they've gone back to what they were experimenting with a couple of years ago, since it is a fact that old Muse will never be back and their recent attempts have been subpar. I'd rather have them making a good pop song than unleashing a million drones.

P.S. I find it funny how people are now loving Drones, just like they loved TR when T2L came out. When Album 10 The Hip Hop Hits arrives, people will be longing for the Dig Down era

Just got in and gave it a listen. I've got a more positive view of it than when I first heard Madness, which I didn't really like when I first heard it. Chorus is boring. Guitar solo and the long sustained note in the final section is good though.

Video made me smile. I did like the idea of the band being VR spam. :chuckle:

It will be fun hearing him struggling on that note on a nightly basis.

I do kinda like the idea tbf of the freshness of the track, given he said this song was written less than 2 months ago in the Zane Lowe interview. I do kinda like the idea too of releasing lots of songs periodically then doing semi-best ofs, and hopefully there'll be a bit more variety than sort of Madness rehashing.

Although thinking about it, the electronic drums sound a bit weaker than the ones on Madness.

It will be fun hearing him struggling on that note on a nightly basis.

Ye of little faith. :chuckle:

Although maybe it'll be down a semi-tone or something.

I agree with fabri that this may be their worst song to date (including even the b-sides). This is the only Muse song in which I can't find anything enjoyable to listen to. No matter how underwhelming a Muse song was, I was always finding something I like (yeah, I even listened to Revolt for a week or two, being fun and uplifting), and I always had some "honeymoon" with the songs. Dig Down is boring in every way possible. The verses are boring, the lyrics are boring, the chorus is boring and lazy (just shouting DIG DOOOWN), the "climax" is boring and lazy and comes suddenly and forced (again, yelling DIG DOOOWN)... Come on Matt how can you like this, do you even listen to your own songs?

I even like Execution Commentary better. At least it's funny and has a decent riff.

I thought Starlight and Mercy in one set was a horrible mistake. Now brace for Starlight - Madness - Dig Down - Dead Inside - Mercy.

I reckon DI or Mercy (or hell, both) are going to be dropped. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. But given how lazy Muse are with setlists tour-after-tour, there'll still be a few sound-a-like pairings in there.

I reckon DI or Mercy (or hell, both) are going to be dropped. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. But given how lazy Muse are with setlists tour-after-tour, there'll still be a few sound-a-like pairings in there.

The pattern tends to be to keep playing the more recent singles. Except for the actually decent ones like Panic Station and Follow me.

This song is great. Very relatable lyrically as I live in the states and the sound is great. Hate coming to this board though, you're all still so bitter and cynical about the band just because they aren't catering specifically to your approved tastes. I don't even know why you guys come on here anymore.

The pattern tends to be to keep playing the more recent singles. Except for the actually decent ones like Panic Station and Follow me.

With the exception of Madness and a handful of Supremacy outings, they seemed very keen to drop The 2nd Law singles, and I felt they got a better reaction than the Drones singles (except Psycho for the riff, and also a surprise bounce to Reapers at The O2).

Dunno where it might fit with this being the sort-of start of a new Muse album campaign. Maybe another new one might crop up too, or would a US amphitheatre tour and places like Lolla and Reading be a bit of a weird place to play unreleased material?

This song is great. Very relatable lyrically as I live in the states and the sound is great. Hate coming to this board though, you're all still so bitter and cynical about the band just because they aren't catering specifically to your approved tastes. I don't even know why you guys come on here anymore.

For the lols?

I hope they don't drop Dead Inside. It's a decent track live and much better than Madness which is snorefest.

What is the alternative? How are we supposed to judge music if not with our personal tastes? You just seem bitter that not everyone feels the same way you do.

I hope they don't drop Dead Inside. It's a decent track live and much better than Madness which is snorefest.

I do think that DI is better than Madness, both studio and live, but the latter is the big radio hit, and it'd be the bigger surprise if they didn't play it in Florida this weekend.

Hate coming to this board though, you're all still so bitter and cynical about the band just because they aren't catering specifically to your approved tastes.

Oh man, sorry to hear that, thoughts and prayers. I'm sure you'll be able to survive this. Be strong.

Done, title of this thread got changed by Matthijs.

The title is ok, yes? :D

Well, the song. Had one listen and thought wtf.... It's kinda good, then kinda bad ... gospel reminds me of George Michael :( "Freedom" U2 is in there, Queen... then the guitar break, yeah! And then?

No song for me, but it could've been worse.

Edited by Claudia O.

What is the alternative? How are we supposed to judge music if not with our personal tastes? You just seem bitter that not everyone feels the same way you do.

My point isnt necessarily about this song in general. You guys hate every single thing they do and expect everything to be shit. I'm just really confused why you guys bother anymore. All thst comes through on here is negativity and it sucks. I'd love to be more active here, but its a real cesspool.

Done, title of this thread got changed by Matthijs.

The title is ok, yes? :D

Well, the song. Had one listen and thought wtf.... It's kinda good, then kinda bad ... gospel reminds me of George Michael :( "Freedom" U2 is in there, Queen... then the guitar break, yeah! And then?

No song for me, but it could've been worse.

Muse - It Could Have Been Worse

Out Now!