Thought Contagion or Fourth Contagion?

... guess will see when it turns up. Don't care too much about the style, just as long as its any good.

If it's the first one, I hope it won't be a sort of Uprising pt. II.

The second one, instead, gives off almost Absolution-like vibes to me; it would make me think of something in the vein of Stockholm Syndrome (which I hope for).

Also, this song "sequel" stuff is fucking old already. Are they truly out of ideas?

It's just they might have bought into some fans' mentality of comparing new material versus old material ("Argh, old stuff is still better, yada yada...") and they're replicating it in order to appease to them again.

A dangerous line of thought, I think.

He could just be like... drawing a comparison? The fans call things sequels all the time.

Except, even excluding the fact that Dig Down feels like it samples Madness, he's called two songs from Drones sequels?

It's a recipe for disappointment, and makes me feel like they don't even try to be original anymore.

(See also: Mercy and Starlight, the entirety of Psycho, etc)

I feel less like I'm nitpicking, and more just saying that - while I'd agree it's a good song - I've felt, since I listened to it more and more, that it apes an older style, but doesn't manage to recapture the emotion and what made that style good in the first place.

For that reason, I much prefer DI, and even Mercy, which make me feel something.

I think it's just starting to feel like a bit of a cheap tactic to keep fans interested that hasn't lived up to the comparison once (The Handler's solid but it was never gonna be anywhere near Showbiz) so becomes a little eyeroll-y. And if it isn't intentional, then it's just kinda naive and maybe suggests a regressive approach to writing and creativity behind the scenes as well.

Also worth noting that Matt says there's gonna be more stuff in 2018 than '17, in terms of singles/videos. So hopefully one in Feb, another over the summer, then maybe another around Autumn/Winter if the album still isn't out.