Was that the one where Bellamy's rig fell?

Looks like it was 15, as well. The only thing that saved my gig from being as bad as that one was TaB, though, tbf. My "rotations" were FG and GL.

I honestly like GL leagues more than US, though, so it did work in my favor.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2010/target-center-minneapolis-mn-53d52f2d.html

Was my first gig, but I do remember knowing that that set was crap. :chuckle: Until TaB.

Also didn't help that we got there really late, and I couldn't see anything, especially with the pillars.

I miss the T2L stage so damn much.

Someone get that man a shovel...

So, he makes a poll and includes the staples... the fans vote for rarer songs... and he still decides that he's right, and isn't going to play what they want.

Surprised he didn't hesitate to tell that to the fans' faces, too.

Did he say "don't like them" and not "don't know them"?

Well, thank you sir, for confirming in person that I need not ever spend another cent of money on your band.

It's a shame to hear Matt's thoughts about this topic, I can understand his point about songs not getting huge receptions amongst a larger (especially festivals) crowd, but he/the band are too concerned about every single song getting a PiB or TiRO style reaction. They've been a band for so long that even at the festival gigs there will always be a small pocket of 'hardcore' fans there, one rarity a night pleases every demographic. At their own shows it should really be two of three deep cuts a night imo, but that's unlikely given that they're playing such short sets these days :(

Of course a rarity tour would be appreciated, but getting tickets would no doubt be a nightmare. Plus, if they insist on only playing small venues it's obviously going to crush many folk who don't manage to get tickets. There isn't really a 'fair' system they could implement either. However they choose to go about it will likely cause outrage.

Fix the set list length issue and they could please every one with minimal effort, they just need more confidence in playing those older songs in bigger venues...though it was years ago surely they must remember songs like Muscle Museum, SFA and Butterflies etc were all singles?

I really wish he would understand that we're not expecting Montreux every night in the arenas. We don't need the smaller venues (though they are nice). It'd just be nice if I could have a chance of hearing a single one of those "deep cuts" in the United States outside of smaller venues without hell freezing over.

Rotate the older staples, there's too many of them when they insist on playing 17-19 song sets with an increasingly larger library of material, or you know, play 25 songs a night but everyone knows that won't happen.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Wish someone there had the guts to question his logic and say that a) just because people aren't jumping around like crazy doesn't mean they don't like a song, and b) a special tour would be great and all but what's wrong with just 1 or 2 songs a night at normal gigs for all the other fans? I know it can be scary when you're there though so I don't blame them.

On the bright side, he does sound like he genuinely cares about wanting to do something. Even if that something doesn't really solve anything for the fanbase as a whole.

Hopefully this mini-tour or whatever it is comes next year. If it does and I meet them again, I'll try and summon the courage to make the points I mentioned above :chuckle:

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, why not try pulling a NIN-esque Assault set where it's just heavy rock completely through to one of those large audiences. See how it goes. When Dead Star was played at the War Child gig, it trended worldwide. Every fucking article I ever read about them, there's someone in the comments talking about how they really liked them up until about 2010 when they went "too mainstream" and tons of people like it. I know people (outside of the echo chamber of fans) that think the same thing at work or just friends.

There's a sizable portion of disenfranchised fans that don't see them anymore and a bunch of new fans that look up the setlists/videos and say "uh... This is the same band that I just listened to?"

Play some of that material over time and the audiences will change and I'd predict ticket sales would improve as well. Anyone that is turned off by the fact that they're playing Dead Star instead of Undisclosed Desires can and should be replaced easily.

I mean let's be realistic here, how demanding is it to ask for a rock set from a rock band in a world where everyone has heard Psycho and Knights of Cydonia and Supermassive Black Hole and Uprising (admittedly strange but extremely successful songs)? Why can't a weird band making weird albums play weird songs at their own show?

Link to NIN's assault set

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

I really wish he would understand that we're not expecting Montreux every night in the arenas. We don't need the smaller venues (though they are nice). It'd just be nice if I could have a chance of hearing a single one of those "deep cuts" in the United States outside of smaller venues without hell freezing over.

Rotate the older staples, there's too many of them when they insist on playing 17-19 song sets with an increasingly larger library of material, or you know, play 25 songs a night but everyone knows that won't happen.

this. Such black and white thinking.

BOTH TYPES OF FANS ARE AT ALL YOUR GIGS MATT.

My m8 last night:

Muse really are the biggest pile of overbaked nonsense I've ever heard. If Queen was a souffle, Muse are the turd someone popped in your oven at 280 degrees and then left the dinner party.

Me: You sound like a fan!

:LOL:

:LOL: He was actually watching them that night at the festival hahahaaaa I didn't realise

Wish someone there had the guts to question his logic and say that a) just because people aren't jumping around like crazy doesn't mean they don't like a song, and b) a special tour would be great and all but what's wrong with just 1 or 2 songs a night at normal gigs for all the other fans? I know it can be scary when you're there though so I don't blame them.

On the bright side, he does sound like he genuinely cares about wanting to do something. Even if that something doesn't really solve anything for the fanbase as a whole.

Hopefully this mini-tour or whatever it is comes next year. If it does and I meet them again, I'll try and summon the courage to make the points I mentioned above :chuckle:

Those fans didn't really seem scared or anything. I think that's a group that's met them many, many times.

They actually spent a lot of time interrupting him.

I dearly wish someone would just corner him with the "why can't you give us ONE SONG a gig?" question, because it would force him to just outright say he doesn't even value the fans that much. But, they make it out like they want the full Zepp, which gives him more room to argue.

Of course, right at the beginning of this (if you watch the full one) he does say "yeah yeah, you want more variation" so he does know.

Also, near the end, the fans argue that more people DO want to hear the rarer songs than the "small portion of the fanbase" that he thinks and Matt just deadpans that "oh, they do, do they?" and walks away.

I don't even think it's black and white thinking. I truly believe Matt just loves the sycophants, and always has. He seems to have always had a bit of disdain for his hardcore fans.

He can't deal with not getting that Starlight reaction obviously, and just wants fans that squeal and tell him he's always right.

And he apparently doesn't care if those "fans" actually listen to his music?

I mean, how fucking depressing is that?

And blaming Dom for removing Assassin after all Matt's done and said is such a dick move.

Wait what?

instaaaa

I mean, I seem to remember hearing that Dom can be reluctant to play it sometimes nowadays because it knackers him out a lot so I'm not really surprised. Bit harsh publicly stitching him up like that though :chuckle:

Edited by Jobby

instaaaa

I mean, I seem to remember hearing that Dom can be reluctant to play it sometimes nowadays because it knackers him out a lot so I'm not really surprised. Bit harsh publicly stitching him up like that though :chuckle:

I really have no doubt that Dom was the one that didn't want to play Assassin.

But Matt throwing him under the bus after everything he JUST said... :noey:

Also... throw Butterflies in there? Or one of the other songs Dom's told fans he wants to play, maybe?

The small tour thing is such a cop out, too. He clearly says he'd just LOVE to do it, but doesn't know how. Not that he's trying to figure it out.

It's just something to shut those people up, and it works, because obviously those same fans he was kind of rude to are raving about the "rarities tour."

I really have no doubt that Dom was the one that didn't want to play Assassin.

But Matt throwing him under the bus after everything he JUST said... :noey:

Also... throw Butterflies in there? Or one of the other songs Dom's told fans he wants to play, maybe?

The small tour thing is such a cop out, too. He clearly says he'd just LOVE to do it, but doesn't know how. Not that he's trying to figure it out.

It's just something to shut those people up, and it works, because obviously those same fans he was kind of rude to are raving about the "rarities tour."

It did smack of "look, kids, mean uncle dom is stopping the rarities but uncle matt cares" a bit, ngl :chuckle:

Gotta say, not to have a go 'cause I wasn't there and don't know them but it did irk me a bit when one of the fans says "but...maybe in Europe?" when asking about the rarity tour. Like, jesus, do we need the bias to be stronger?

Thought it was a bit harsh to not-so-subtly slag his songs off in front of him as well ("tonight was...yeah, a bit weird...Montreux, those are the songs that we like"), think Matt picked up on that and didn't really seem to appreciate it. Nowt malicious, I know, but I just think they could've gone about it a bit better. Maybe it was just clumsy wording from being in the heat of the moment.

Honestly I'm mostly bothered about fans who get up people's faces with the cameras. Have a normal conversation for christ's sake. Don't conduct an invasive interview.

And regarding Matt, I honestly believe that he's unsure of how to please the "hardcore" fans as well as the casuals, but I don't think he spends that much time thinking about it. Which totally makes sense imo.

Thought it was a bit harsh to not-so-subtly slag his songs off in front of him as well ("tonight was...yeah, a bit weird...Montreux, those are the songs that we like"), think Matt picked up on that and didn't really seem to appreciate it. Nowt malicious, I know, but I just think they could've gone about it a bit better. Maybe it was just clumsy wording from being in the heat of the moment.

I think this is something that we forget when complaining about setlists. Songs like UD, Madness, Resistance etc are fully deserving of the rotations that heavier songs are. Just because people on this board are favouring more the heavy stuff (me included) Muse still wrote these songs, recorded them and put them on an album because they love them as much as they do Assassin, Butterflies etc