#ShowbizFor2016 and #AssassinFor2016- how to carry on now

Claudia O

And why did these win exactly? We already knew that these had a relatively high chance of popping up in Europe without fan intervention, so why not something a bit more obscure or a bit less predictable?

Because as soon as we fucking collectively decide we wanted Spiral Static and Balloonatics at these gigs and start asking for them, Muse would then be the type to say "oh, they're not asking for Assassin (a song Muse have publicly stated is a fucking bitch to play live) and Showbiz (a song which hasn't been played in close to 10 years and is probably quite straining for Matt to sing nowadays), I guess we wont bother with these and play the two they asked for".

Now before you say this is a stupid thought, let me remind you that this has actually happened, on the EUROPEAN stadium tour. Micro Cuts was on the list of rotations for the program but wasn't played once. On the other hand, Dead Star was not on the list of rotations. The most probably reason why? They told Micro Cuts to get fucked after the sheer barrage of Dead Star requests they were getting.

I'm pretty sure most people care about actually getting songs they really like. For a lot of people, that's Showbiz and Assassin. They have not said "we're definitely going to play those songs". They gave a shaky maybe, at best. If they didn't play Showbiz on the Psycho tour I think it's rather unlikely it would get played now without a massive fan push, especially since Showbiz is obviously a very popular song among fans, and they're definitely aware of this since people begged for it on the Psycho tour, and came up a lot on the 2010 setlist polls.

Assassin was obviously not rehearsed in advance for the Psycho Tour, nor was Showbiz, given the reaction at Belfast. "Saw your hashtag, we can't remember it, but we'll get it right for next time."

Now, you can say that means that they'll definitely play it across the tour at other gigs. So please, tell me all about the gigs Muscle Museum showed up at after being promised for Brazil. Oh that's right. They played it in Brazil. Then dropped it.

So, no. Assassin and Showbiz do not have a relatively high chance of being played regularly across the tour without fan intervention.

And why did these win exactly? We already knew that these had a relatively high chance of popping up in Europe without fan intervention, so why not something a bit more obscure or a bit less predictable?

Because they want to hear those songs?

Would have loved to hear your thoughts on Biffy Clyros gigs at the Barrowlands.

What I find most baffling is the fact that ADL originally bitched about the the US sets were so shit and how he wanted Europe to get utterly fucked over just so that we'd know what it's like. Fine, that's a valid, albeit very selfish, desire. This is point 1.

Then when we make a poll with the objective of letting Muse know what we would like to hear, he gets in a hissy fit again. But this time it's the fact that WE'RE asking Muse for the songs WE would like to hear at the gigs WE attend, and not asking for the songs ADL thinks we should be asking for. He thinks we should ask for even rarer songs! This is point 2.

Now ADL. You're obviously some kind of mind reading genius, correct? This must be the case since you know a) what Muse are going to play at their gigs without us needing to ask, and b) what we actually want to hear at our gigs. So please, kindly explain to me, with my feeble little mind, how point 1 and point 2 can possibly be combined into one consistent logical line of thought.

You're pissed off you got fucked over, and want us to feel what it's like. But you're also even more pissed off that we're not doing our best to get super obscure rare songs played, effectively fucking you up even more.

So really this all boils down to you being a paradoxical masochist; you're really pissed off you got fucked over. You're really pissed off you're not getting even more fucked over.

It's just 1=2 with you isnt' it.

If Europe didn't have a history of getting better, longer sets consistently for the past five years and two tours, I'd say go for it.

What bothers me is you all knowing that you'll get better than us by default and still going on to campaign for more.

As I said last tour and the one before that, if you're going to campaign for songs for an entire tour, make it something super interesting. Just being consistent on that point.

If Europe didn't have a history of getting better, longer sets consistently for the past five years and two tours, I'd say go for it.

What bothers me is you all knowing that you'll get better than us by default and still going on to campaign for more.

As I said last tour and the one before that, if you're going to campaign for songs for an entire tour, make it something super interesting. Just being consistent on that point.

"If you're going to fuck me over, do it royally".

Gotcha.

No, if you're going to subject an entire tour to a Dead Star-like campaign, it'd be nice to resurrect something that has absolutely zero chance of coming back otherwise.

Do you really not see the paradox here? You have just said you're annoyed we're asking for more than you got. You then just said you'd rather we ask for even more.

Please, someone, explain to me how these two statements can be combined into a non-trivial self-consistent thought.

No, if you're going to subject an entire tour to a Dead Star-like campaign, it'd be nice to resurrect something that has absolutely zero chance of coming back otherwise.

Please stop. These two songs won the poll so they're going in the campaign. The end. Feel free to make your own poll and your own campaign in a separate thread with all of the obscure songs that your heart desires and stop bashing other people's efforts.

"No, why would you vote for Now the Action Is on Fire and Kill the Old Torture Their Young, they're obviously going to play those"

Fan power got Help Me Be Captain chosen over The Captain. :D

Yeah why would we try to get Muse to play certain songs when it's already a possiblity that they will play them at one or two gigs.

Seriously, the sheer ignorance that goes into fighting against this...

Assassin and Showbiz are good songs. One hasn't been played since 2006, the other what, twice since 2007. Fail to see the problem here. Also I don't see the European gigs being significantly different to the final setlist of the US Tour, maybe a bit longer with a couple of older songs.

"If you don't ask you don't get" ...

Kirk is too cool for Muse