If they can do minimal in a meaningful way like Radiohead then I'd be happy too

Muse and minimalist are two words that should never be in the same sentence. That's how Madness happened.

One or two tracks like that might be nice (Monty Jam pls), but I wouldn't want a whole album of it. My ideal would be more walls of synth glory a la 65DOS.

They really shouldn't do a full album of anything because that would be pretty boring.

A few songs in the vein of MotP or Easily wouldn't go astray though.

Muse and minimalist are two words that should never be in the same sentence. That's how Madness happened.

They really shouldn't do a full album of anything because that would be pretty boring.

A few songs in the vein of MotP or Easily wouldn't go astray though.

Minimalist Muse = Madness, Isolated System, beginning of Ruled By Secrecy, Uprising, most of Hoodoo, Falling Away With You, Blackout, Exo part III: Redeption, Collateral Damage, Screenager (to an extent), The Gallery, Hyper Chondriac Music (maybe, it's been a while since I gave it a proper listen), Dead Inside (first half), Endlessly, and probably some others I've forgotten. You don't seriously hate all of those songs, do you?

Isolated System, beginning of Ruled By Secrecy, Uprising, most of Hoodoo, Falling Away With You, Blackout, Exo part III: Redeption, Collateral Damage, Screenager (to an extent), The Gallery, Hyper Chondriac Music (maybe, it's been a while since I gave it a proper listen), Dead Inside (first half), Endlessly, and probably some others I've forgotten. You don't seriously hate all of those songs, do you?

I think you misunderstand minimalism. These songs are all complex in some way, mostly tonally but in some cases texturally and atmospherically. Madness has a very basic chord progression, simple bass line, simple melody and sparse drum beat for most of the song, there's nothing really "intriguing" about it until the solo... that's minimalism.

I think you misunderstand minimalism. These songs are all complex in some way, mostly tonally but in some cases texturally and atmospherically. Madness has a very basic chord progression, simple bass line, simple melody and sparse drum beat for most of the song, there's nothing really "intriguing" about it until the solo... that's minimalism.

Minimalism isn't synonymous with boring. Much of what amuse does is maximalist, aka campy OTT etc. Many of the songs listed were minimalist albeit complex by comparison

If minimalism means lack of intrigue, then basically none of Muse's music is minimalist at all. Madness has loads of intrigue throughout the song. In fact, the guitar solo, which you reffered to as intriguing, is one of the most stock/cliche bits of the entire song. The bassline though, for pop-rock music, is extremely intriguing.

They should go for a style that fits their CHVRCHES cover. Obviously more in tune with Dead Inside, that dark electro-funk feel. That would be great; an album of Dead Inside/MoTP like songs.

I'd like to see this, actually. That CHRVCHES cover was pretty great.

Matt should start listening to Crosses. And Olafur Arnalds for the inevitable piano ballad.

This. Although T2L's experiments were more about style than composition. I think the latter needs shaking up.

Now the fanbase can stop requesting a "back to basics" album and start looking at what really made their old stuff stand out.

Pretty much. If we've learned anything from Drones it should be that simplicity isn't what makes the band good. Not to beat the Origin horse to death, but that's not exactly a straight forward album despite it's mostly conventional instrumentation.