Matt said in a recent interview that he relied on early gigs to get him into shape, because fuck the early gigs, right? But yeah basically that explains why he's been getting better. The issue now is simply that he isn't consistently great anymore, and certain gigs will definitely be better than others vocally.

Tbf, if you've spent 11 months off the road, as Muse did, and just recording a few vocal takes and done some rehearsals, you're still trying to get back into the "playing every night/every other night" shape. Plus some have said Matt is still trying to get back into the it after his vocal problem last year.

Tbf the vocals sounded worse on the Black Holes tour, but yeah, the setlist was badly proportioned from a vocal POV. SMBH, Micro Cuts, The Handler, Dead Inside and Madness all being at the front is going to hurt, even with 2/3 minutes off to rest while Chris and Dom soundtrack members of Kasabian breakdancing and being thrown off stage.

Just watched the whole Werchter gig and I think it was of Absolution era greatness. The sound quality helped a lot of course, but the energy, set list and smiles exchanged between band members made even my least favorite songs enjoyable. I haven't seen them live since the BHaR tour, but I'll definitely go see them this time around..

even with 2/3 minutes off to rest while Chris and Dom soundtrack members of Kasabian breakdancing and being thrown off stage.

:LOL:

Serge had a great evening at Werchter it seems, first he was at the barriers of Die Antwoord and then decided to do a breakdance during the Drum and Bass jam.

I even enjoyed Madness here, it all just sounded great. Dead Inside and Mercy are also massive live.

And yeah, I couldn't care less about the MC vocals sounding a bit off.

Tbf, if you've spent 11 months off the road, as Muse did, and just recording a few vocal takes and done some rehearsals, you're still trying to get back into the "playing every night/every other night" shape. Plus some have said Matt is still trying to get back into the it after his vocal problem last year.

Tbf the vocals sounded worse on the Black Holes tour, but yeah, the setlist was badly proportioned from a vocal POV. SMBH, Micro Cuts, The Handler, Dead Inside and Madness all being at the front is going to hurt, even with 2/3 minutes off to rest while Chris and Dom soundtrack members of Kasabian breakdancing and being thrown off stage.

"Some have said", who have said? People with insight? And it's about fitness. The fact that he doesn't work out or do any running, leaving him out of breath very early in the set.

Matt had a harder time hitting high chest notes on the BH&R tour, but he wasn't out of breath until SS at the end.

That might be the easiest song for Matt to sing. All falsetto, no high notes. (and singing falsetto itself is tons easier/less tiring than modal voice once you've mastered the technique)

But the Micro Cuts through Uno sequence is indeed killing to sing.

I think we rag on Matt a bit too much about his voice, it must be tough singing how he does, night in, night out. Doesn't change the fact that he sounds shit at times, but I feel like we should cut him slack.
barely any of us are complaining though. We're simply discussing why he sounds the way he does.

barely any of us are complaining though. We're simply discussing why he sounds the way he does.

I don't mean we're complaining now, should have clarified that. I'm talking more about the people who when a gig is happening just go "he sounds shit/forced/tired" and don't say anything else.

"Some have said", who have said? People with insight? And it's about fitness. The fact that he doesn't work out or do any running, leaving him out of breath very early in the set.

Matt had a harder time hitting high chest notes on the BH&R tour, but he wasn't out of breath until SS at the end.

Some people on here wondered aloud if there was still long-term recovery issues during the Psycho Tour. Its a hit and miss thing on it and its probably not a factor but who knows. More idle curiosity or speculation than anything else, although I guess there's always a re-adjustment process involved after it.

Then again I didn't notice anything during the Psycho show so maybe its just post-before-thought crap.

Maybe its the fact I'm not a singer or that interested in keep-fit stuff that means I'm not aware of the correlation between physical fitness and singing. But has Matt actually said that he is not a fitness or gym person?

That might be the easiest song for Matt to sing. All falsetto, no high notes. (and singing falsetto itself is tons easier/less tiring than modal voice once you've mastered the technique)

But the Micro Cuts through Uno sequence is indeed killing to sing.

I find it a bitch on the voice, but then maybe I'm not so used to singing it. Although I can imagine by Citizen Erased, the voice had gone through a bit of a heavy duty session.

Some people on here wondered if there was still long-term recovery issues. Its a hit and miss thing on it and its probably not a factor but who knows. More idle curiosity or speculation than anything else, although I guess there's always a re-adjustment process involved after it.

Maybe its the fact I'm not a singer or that interested in keep-fit stuff that means I'm not aware of the correlation between physical fitness and singing. But has Matt actually said that he is not a fitness or gym person?

These people don't know what they're talking about though, they're simply guessing.

Fitness and singing have a lot in common. I mean first of all, can't you hear that Matt is out of breath on a lot of the early gigs? That hasn't got anything to do with range. You use your lungs when you sing, and how do you improve lung capacity? And did you see Matt running around like a madman during Psycho yesterday?

He said in a recent interview that he doesn't bother getting in shape for the tours, and instead just waits for the touring to get him into shape. He even said that it made him really, really out of breath.

Fitness and singing have a lot in common. I mean first of all, can't you hear that Matt is out of breath on a lot of the early gigs? That hasn't got anything to do with range. You use your lungs when you sing, and how do you improve lung capacity? And did you see Matt running around like a madman during Psycho yesterday?

He said in a recent interview that he doesn't bother getting in shape for the tours, and instead just waits for the touring to get him into shape. He even said that it made him really, really out of breath.

I've literally just seen the Psycho vid from last night. Impressive. Probably the closest he'll get to being Usain Bolt. :chuckle:

But yes, that's clearly not a great move if you're only just getting into shape for tours and have a very intensive-vox setlist on the paper in front of you. Although saying that, I don't remember much about the early gig recordings I heard on this tour, even if I do recall that Dead Inside was a song that was leaving him out of breath a lot earlier in the tour.

I feel like Micro Cuts fits in very well with his intention to work songs into the set that have similar themes to the Drones stuff. But yeah, as much as I'd LOVE to see it, it's certainly not worth blowing himself out for the rest of the gig.

Matt said in a recent interview that he relied on early gigs to get him into shape, because fuck the early gigs, right? But yeah basically that explains why he's been getting better. The issue now is simply that he isn't consistently great anymore, and certain gigs will definitely be better than others vocally.

I almost shat myself when I saw that interview.

Not only did he give the "hell no" head shake when asked if he got in shape, he acted out gasping for breath.

You... really think that's fair to your ticket buyers...?

I'm probably more down than I should be about his voice now - mostly because I feel he wasted his great years on new material that was pretty uninspiring live, and now that they've got stuff I'm pumped to hear, it's been disappointing.

And yeah, also, was sprinting down the length of the stage and back a few times at the start a fantastic idea?

I almost shat myself when I saw that interview.

Not only did he give the "hell no" head shake when asked if he got in shape, he acted out gasping for breath.

You... really think that's fair to your ticket buyers...?

I think it's fairly safe to assume at this point that the band ain't the smartest or most considerate when it comes to being fair to ticket buyers (Setlist polls, Sweden, inconsistent sets, Psycho Tour, etc etc.)

I'm probably more down than I should be about his voice now - mostly because I feel he wasted his great years on new material that was pretty uninspiring live, and now that they've got stuff I'm pumped to hear, it's been disappointing.

don't agree with that whatsoever. did you hear the download microcuts? it was the best he's sang it in like a decade. he actually pulled the second two bars, in tune, of the chorus in one breath, not heard him do that since 2004...

I think it's fairly safe to assume at this point that the band ain't the smartest or most considerate when it comes to being fair to ticket buyers (Setlist polls, Sweden, inconsistent sets, Psycho Tour, etc etc.)

I disagree with a lot of those... I mean, it's completely believable that the band thinks they're making good setlists every night. I have a harder time thinking they would intentionally make shit ones.

Honestly, people love the singles. We just get a warped view here.

People bitched up and down about the two T2L gigs I went to, the first missing PiB and Hysteria, and the second SS.

Some knob complained about no Starlight at Download.

Unfortunately, the vast majority isn't as obsessed as us.

I'm more confused about the last setlist than I am about the "hits" ones - and well, why the fuck they got more songs in there and shafted the other gigs, but it could be as simple as the band starting to feel better, or knowing it was streamed.

Who knows.

You can't please everyone, and they typically go for the majority.

Now, going on stage winded and sounding like crap pleases no one, and only happens because someone's being lazy? A bit different imo.

This is your fucking *job* man... you make millions...

Now, going on stage winded and sounding like crap pleases no one, and only happens because someone's being lazy? A bit different imo.

This is your fucking *job* man... you make millions...

please point out where he sounds shit...

don't agree with that whatsoever. did you hear the download microcuts? it was the best he's sang it in like a decade. he actually pulled the second two bars, in tune, of the chorus in one breath, not heard him do that since 2004...

I felt much of T2L and TR were uninspiring live, and it's tough for me to have heard such flawless renditions of those songs, and now see him pretty consistently struggling with stuff that I feel should be stellar live, be it Micro Cuts, The Handler, etc.

He's been very inconsistent. I hear MC was great at Download, but then weaker during the streamed gig.

Makes me concerned if I spent a lot of money to go to a gig, I might be terribly disappointed.

I'm used to being able to say Muse is fucking amazing live, and yeah, it makes me a little down.

I also wanted a good proshot of The Handler. :phu:

please point out where he sounds shit...

Well, if you go back and look at the earlier streamed festivals, he's literally gasping for breath, and missing cues at the beginnings of lines left and right, dropping parts of words, etc.

Much of the Psycho Tour he was noticeably out of breath.

If you're just talking about Werchter, you don't need to look further than the end of The Handler. Maybe not complete "shit" level, but certainly strained and hoarse.

The gig was certainly better than the earlier ones, but (apparently) no where near as good as Download and the Russian gigs.

So yeah, inconsistent.

I felt much of T2L and TR were uninspiring live, and it's tough for me to have heard such flawless renditions of those songs, and now see him pretty consistently struggling with stuff that I feel should be stellar live, be it Micro Cuts, The Handler, etc.

He's been very inconsistent. I hear MC was great at Download, but then weaker during the streamed gig.

Makes me concerned if I spent a lot of money to go to a gig, I might be terribly disappointed.

I'm used to being able to say Muse is fucking amazing live, and yeah, it makes me a little down.

I also wanted a good proshot of The Handler. :phu:

Firstly, there IS a good proshot of The Handler from Wercther. Its a brilliant performance. I really don't feel like repeating myself so please look above to my comment on it. I'll add though that just becuase he may be a little of the notes, that certainly does not mean hes not performing well. For the same reason the legions of chinese pianists that can literally play anything but are entirely ignored on the world stage compared to the elder statesmen russians that cant hit all the right notes, but my GOD they feel the music, hitting the right notes does NOT make a good perfomance, and likewise not hitting them does NOT make a bad performance.

Secondly, about his inconsistency, over the last 15 years of top quality muse concerts, you can count on one hand the number of times they were less than fantastic. And if you don't agree, well then I'd kindly ask you to re-read the above, and my other comment above too.

//rant