So what we want is...lots of exciting songs performed well.

That's asking a lot.

I wish that's the kind of show we still got. Last time I walked out of a show feeling like they had given everything they had into a show was like 2007, though Staples 2010 night 2 was pretty cool because Matt was pissed about the Glitterati breaking.

They could stop switching guitars after nearly every single song. That would save about 10 minutes and no-one would notice the difference.

Also, all the playback and intro guff is just totally uneccessary - Dance Of The Knights (2 mins), Drones (2 mins), Drill Sergeant (30 secs), Isolated System (3 mins), Prelude (1 min), Munich Jam (2 mins), JFK (1 min), Interlude (30 secs), Drones again (1 min), Man With A Harmonica (2 mins).

You could literally cut ALL of that and play Dead Star, Butterflies And Hurricanes and an extra piano song instead, or any three songs of your liking.

The only reason I care about the breaks between songs is because they're cutting it so goddamn short between setting up, playing the show and going off to play the next night in another city, there is so very little room for length improvement so it sucks seeing the amount of downtime there is when they could easily squeeze another 2-3 songs in there.

On the next tour, I certainly hope they start earlier so they'd be able to go off stage after 12-14 songs, take a 15-20 minute break and come on for another 12-14.

I think Matt is really close to his limits vocally at the moment, but that doesn't completely prevent them from playing longer:

1. Bring back Liquid State. Yes, Chris doesn't like to be the lead singer but come on, he did it for an entire tour and the circumstances are calling for it. Plus as someone said above, T2L is underrepresented.

2. Make Citizen Erased a staple. It's long, not too hard to sing, has nice instrumental breaks and is a hardcore fans' favourite. Could also apply to Assassin and to a lesser extent to Unnatural Selection, bar the fan favourite part.

3. Play instrumentals: Piano Thing, Forced In, Minimum, improvs...

4. Ditch the unnecessarily hard songs. Supremacy is too hard to sing for what it brings to the set. Maybe this is pushing it but if they are really keen on rotating Reapers, they could rotate it with The Handler; as sad as it would be, it'd be a fair rotation compared to Reapers/Revolt.

5. Play more easier songs: MoTP; Hyper Music with falsetto A4s, Fury half a step down, Animals.

3. Play instrumentals: Piano Thing, Forced In, Minimum, improvs...

Love the idea :

Piano thing before sunburn or screenager (i keep dreaming)

Forced in before bliss or micro cuts

Minimum to replace the Munich Jam

They can even play bedroom acoustic during the popup section after starlight at least we have something to listen :)

If it's true that Matt has back problems, he could be using the jam and some of the playback as a chance to take off his guitar and ease some of the pressure for a bit. Might be why we can't get something that requires a guitar (Forced In, Minimum, improv etc.) in place of the D&B jam.

Or bring back TOADA and TSP!

Not too fussed about TOADA (though wouldn't mind seeing it tbf) but I was thinking about TSP just the other day. Seems almost a no-brainer to at least have in rotation - pretty easy vocally, fits the 'hard rock' sound they said they wanted to go for, old rarity for hardcores, fits the Drones theme. Only issue would be the 'not enough people know it' thing they're apparently super conscious of.

Edit: Ooh, just noticed some cool linkage between the "Revere a million prayers and draw me into your holiness" and "I'm the priest God never paid" lines actually.

Edited by Jobby

they can even made some quiet song on acoustic guitar sitting on dom's drum kit like in kiev in 2011 during soldier's poem, if matt need some rest for his back. Map of your head, hate this and i"ll love you, sing for absolution will be nice to hear

->

Edited by titoufou17

Biologically, it's all downhill after 27, anyways.

I was boredly skipping through some videos from the Philly show, and I didn't see instances of Matt holding his stomach as someone else remembered - mostly just him reaching under his jacket in various places in general, and what looks like him adjusting the t-shirt he's wearing, which I assume is not in good condition by that point.

No good shots of him using the orbs to fan himself on the catwalk either, but I promise it happened a few times. :chuckle:

There are a few bits where it does appear he's favoring his back, or left leg, but could also quite easily be seeing something just because you're looking for it.

The festival tour, and the Psycho tour, were inconsistent. I personally thought quite a few of them leaned more towards him being noticeably out of breath, and having a hard time starting lines on cue.

Other than things like the Handler ending and Micro Cuts, a lot of them weren't too bad, iirc.

The start of the US tour had some real rough moments, then the second half was better than most of the entire tour, then Paris things started to get rough even in some easy songs.

The breathing is still a huge issue, though, if you listen to AP, for example.

I can't imagine it being the laryngitis. I mean... he recorded the damn album, after all.

Maybe he is just having a rough period. I am a singer myself and the climate has been especially crazy in the last few months, I am talking extreme weather changes, which has been drastically affecting people's immune systems, recurring flues, etc.

I might be saying nonsense, when it comes to Matt, that is. But a problem is apparent.

Maybe I'm being delusional, but I still think it's just mostly lifestyle.

His insistence on not getting enough rest between gigs, and the decision to get "in shape" by touring... when he's not exactly particularly active on stage.

I guess if that is the case, it would be pretty disappointing that he wouldn't take action and do something about it.