While I would in perfection prefer a few more songs, I thought last arena tour was a decent length. It's not the longest a band of their calliber can pull off but I left satisfied.

Only ever saw Nine Inch Nail's festival set which was of course much shorter but also satisfactory.

I dunno... I can't think of quite that many who do 25-30 a night. Springstein, Pearl Jam, U2, Foo Fighters on Dave's birthday last year... I mean, there are definitely some bands, but I feel like concerts in general have gotten acceptably shorter. Gone are the days of consistent 3 hr rock shows.

A 25-song set is not all that unusual. Either way, my main point was that it seems unusual that people consider some of Muse's songs to be too demanding for them to perform regularly when they barely play 90 minutes of actual songs each show.

Getting very very nervous for Manchester first night now :stunned: First night syndrome has, generally, not been to my... tastes for this tour so far. :LOL:

Try going to the O2 on Monday 11th. Who knows what that will entail considering they are also playing there on like the 3rd?

Be interesting to see if they do their usual "night 1" set both on the actual first night in London and night 1 of the week residency.

If I had to guess, I reckon the '1st night' (3rd of April) will get a pretty standard but decent set and Night 1 of the week residency will get the archetypal 1st night pop set. In terms of predicting the quality of each individual gig, maybe something like 15th > 12th > 14th > 3rd > 11th.

Interesting that none of the London dates have completely sold out. Maybe Matt won't deem any of them worthy of good sets :rolleyes:

Edited by Jobby

If I had to guess, I reckon the '1st night' (3rd of April) will get a pretty standard but decent set and Night 1 of the week residency will get the archetypal 1st night pop set. In terms of predicting the quality of each individual gig, maybe something like 15th > 12th > 14th > 3rd > 11th.

Interesting that none of the London dates have completely sold out. Maybe Matt won't deem any of them worthy of good sets :rolleyes:

That prediction sounds pretty realistic.

About not having sold out: I suppose three waves of standing tickets and five nights really saturated the ticket market (they were (mostly?) sold out before this last wave). It'll be interesting to see whether they'll sell out eventually.

I just had a thought today: The capacity of The O2 is 20000. How many of those are standing? 3000/4000 maybe? If they just released 1000 standing tickets for each gig, then that's actually quite a big portion of that! (And that might also add to why this last wave didn't sell out in a rush) (Also, can anyone say anything about how/if Muse ticket demand has changed compared to something like 2007 or 2010?)

Also, shouldn't we be doing a new thread?

That's all the extra tickets. Maybe there just ain't the demand for this tour. Or at least at those prices.

Exactly, that's why you should measure in set length and not song quantity.

Green Day extend a lot of theirs tbf. And that's also before the fact Jesus of Suburbia is 9 minutes.

Mind you, Wembley 2010 was a weird one - the only gig where a song has been extended but shortened. :chuckle:

I think the scalpers really artificially inflated ticket sales for this entire tour, tbh. Which would be another reason the new standing tickets aren't selling as quickly.

That and even if you've got shit seats in the 400s, it's too damn expensive to grab GA ones, knowing you probably won't sell the others for face value.

The scalpers bit themselves in the ass on the US tour, and ended up selling GA and good seats for a lot of the gigs at way below face value.

One of my southern friends got tickets for like $16.

Exactly, that's why you should measure in set length and not song quantity.

But it obviously doesn't matter in either case because both The Cure and Green Day play like at least an hour longer than Muse.

And we're talking about Muse here, they're not a prog-rock band. Most of their songs are around 4 minutes.

Show length rather than song number is what I think things should be measured in too, and by that metric, the vast majority of concerts I attend are well below what Muse plays. I always want Muse to play more, but I don't want to pretend like they're barely pulling anything when they still do play a good amount compared to the average.

I think the biggest beef is that this tour has seen a reduction of song time compared to the previous tours, so it's exacerbating the feeling that Muse is ripping us off by doing less as their catalog continues to grow.

I can't think of many arena/stadium bands with 5+ albums that play for less time than Muse tbh. I'd say the average for a band of their size, reputation, discography, ticket prices etc. is at least 2 hours.

I mean, shit, Dom A cited Pearl Jam as an example of their peers when he was trying to justify ticket prices on Twitter last year and they were playing 30+ songs (not a massive Pearl Jam fan but I'm assuming that's around 2.5/3 hours?).

Edited by Jobby

I can't think of many arena/stadium bands with 5+ albums that play for less time than Muse tbh. I'd say the average for a band of their size, reputation, discography, ticket prices etc. is at least 2 hours.

I mean, shit, Dom A cited Pearl Jam as an example of their peers when he was trying to justify ticket prices on Twitter last year and they were playing 30+ songs (not a massive Pearl Jam fan but I'm assuming that's around 2.5/3 hours?).

Yeah, I saw Pearl Jam a while back. They played 17 songs just like Muse do. Then they played another 14 songs split up over 2 encores. The show probably ran 2 1/2 hours.

The show was pretty basic as far as visuals ( just spotlights and maybe a video screen as I recall) but I'll take a 30 song concert over a fancy light show any time.