I don't buy the whole exercise thing. I'm sure it's part of it, being tired and all. Just remember, he went from playing 19 song arena gigs to playing 25-26 songs at the stadiums in three weeks.

I really do think it's just a matter of "stadiums get more songs than arenas because more people are there". It would explain the clubs only getting 16 and the festivals getting arena-tier sets at least. People have used the value argument but that's bullshit, stadiums are often cheaper than the US arenas and we're the ones that get shafted the most when it comes to length generally.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

I still don't think Muse have done a great concert DVD - Hullabaloo is good, but I find it near impossible to watch. Absolution Tour has the two best performances cut and was just a cheap Christmas cash cow. HAARP sounded absolutely terrible and Live in Milan had a terrible setlist and was just completely boring, even if it did look pretty great.

It remains a travesty the 'Absolution Tour' DVD wasn't Earls Court.

I guess I still enjoy the Abso one, but yeah, the edits were awful. And I was honestly never a fan of the distortion used during that period of time.

I've only watched Hullaballoo all the way through once; it's seizure inducing, damn near, and I just get frustrated because I'm never allowed to focus on actually watching something for more than a few seconds.

Rome was awfully pretty, and I did enjoy it when I watched it, but it was very obviously the turning point of spectacle over performance, and that entire stadium tour was not to my tastes at all. I wish they'd have made the DVD of the arena tour, as I thought that was a perfect balance, even if some of the new songs were less than thrilling live.

Also, the 4k deal for the Rome one came off feeling like such a massive sell out since it wasn't actually released as such, and was used on TV ads instead...

Sadly, even the theaters around me it played in didn't offer 4k.

I don't really see the point in releasing tour DVDs so often when the songs and the way they're performed stay mostly the same. It made sense when it felt like they were almost documenting significant milestones of evolution for the band (and when the songs still differed enough from film-to-film) but, since HAARP, that hasn't really happened imo.

Nowadays, the only point I can see behind releasing a DVD would be for special or unique gigs (Leeds/Reading '11, Zepp '13), otherwise the only thing that really separates them are the 5 or so new-album songs. The rest will be the exact same thing you've heard on the last 1 or 2 DVDs.

They're sort of just getting more mileage out of the expensive visuals, it seems. They've said they intentionally go out of their way to showcase the newer songs and songs with visual components, and remove older songs they know are fan favs anyways.

Matt still talking about the next album being more electronic. We can probably kiss the rock stuff goodbye forever after that.

I love the Hullabaloo DVD, and HAARP sounds decent enough for me. I think Glastonbury sounds worse imo. Thinner and Matt's vocals are set way too low all the way through.

I think a new release would be mostly to document the increasingly ambitious light show. They could probably make it look epic, but also incredibly cheap and cringy with the drones and such. Much like the second law robot.

They're sort of just getting more mileage out of the expensive visuals, it seems. They've said they intentionally go out of their way to showcase the newer songs and songs with visual components, and remove older songs they know are fan favs anyways.

Matt still talking about the next album being more electronic. We can probably kiss the rock stuff goodbye forever after that.

Important quote there, guessing it's very new. It definitely warrants the question why we keep paying for gigs that obviously aren't for us? Well I'm not anymore, since I'm not going to any gigs.

The first one was something I read in conjunction with the Rome release, actually. I could dig it up for the actual quote, but it was basically that he thought it was important to show the new songs, the "visual story," and to remove songs that were "repetitive" from prior releases (in response to a question about why the setlist wasn't very hardcore fan friendly.)

The latter obviously doesn't apply to the same ol same ol shit like Starlight, SMBH, though.

The way it read was that from the setlist to the editing, it was designed to please the most casual of viewers and be as commercial as possible.

It seems like the majority of the European setlists have found a pretty good balance, tbf.

I wouldn't ever pay to see them play in the US again, unless it was in my town (never going to happen,) and I didn't have to miss work or anything.

The latter quote about the electronic stuff is from a French radio interview today.

I read some posts about Matt's voice. Well I hope his voice gets better because I'm looking forward to seeing both, Muse and the Drones.

And come on, I don't think the setlists are so bad :LOL: They played Sunburn in Brussels, a step in the right direction imo

There's been a couple of real dogs of setlists in Europe, nearly what they played in the US (and not the couple of gigs that got Bliss or CE; like, Sacramento and Philly.)

But, for the most part, I wouldn't bitch about getting 2-3 rarer songs per set and seeing all of the visuals and flying shit actually work.

Matt's voice, on the other hand, has been disappointing.

I haven't bothered watching YT videos, because all the stuff I wanted to see like BH were blocked... how is the band's energy levels in Europe?

That was honestly my biggest complaint from my first gig, even over the horrible setlist and tattered looking visuals.