Drones is, plain and simple, the ending of The Globalist. Matt's initial description of the song doesn't make sense otherwise. So yes, all of TG "cheats" on the stripped back theme. The band has also commented on that, but they achieved it with the rest of the album.

Even in the case of The Globalist, Matt said it was completely written with him trying to get into the "mindset" of OoS and CE (why he called it a sequel, other than the different parts.) So, it's hard to even say that that song isn't them "getting back to their roots." It's just not what people expected.

They were probably separated because they knew Drones (song) was going to be a bit controversial, and expected The Globalist to be one of the more popular tracks.

I have found myself pondering if The Globalist would have been received better if it really were in multiple parts like Exo; less complaining about it not being a cohesive song.

I don't think using Drones (song) in the context of 'the title track isn't "stripped back"' is really fair in this case, either, as the word 'drones' was used as a way to tie all the songs into the theme of the album, and is obviously shoehorned into every single song in the album many, many times.

I mean, fuck, everyone thought Reapers was Drones when it debuted.

I have found myself pondering if The Globalist would have been received better if it really were in multiple parts like Exo; less complaining about it not being a cohesive song.

Oh, yeah. If you split it up and named each part something fancy like 'The Globalist: Odyssey, Part 1 (Ascension)', I'm sure there'd be at least a few people who'd suddenly declare it a masterpiece and musical achievement :chuckle: Vice versa for Exo as well imo.

Then again, some people seem to do it with TG based off just it's length anyway. 'Cause if something's long, it must be genius.

The Globalist isn't without it's flaws, but I think it's pretty wonderful, and don't really get all the hate. That's saying something, really, as I was very negative about it being three covers smashed into an album before I really got a listen to it.

The slide guitar bit is one of my favorite things on the album, and although the piano section gets a bit long, I couldn't say what I'd cut out of it, and Matt's vocals are pretty damn good particularly during that ending.

The lyrics to Drones hold me back from being completely in love with that section, but I really liked Matt's description of what the piece represented, and why he selected that song to rewrite.

I thought it was pretty interesting to hear Matt say it's his favorite song off the album to do live, too.

I wish

If Reapers was called Drones, Drones would just be called something else, or be tacked back on to the end of TG. That's a net gain of nothing. :chuckle:

I hardly feel like that song destroys the entire album, no matter how you feel about it on it's own.

People massively overreacted to it for some reason, which again is probably why it was divorced from TG.

Oh, yeah. If you split it up and named each part something fancy like 'The Globalist: Odyssey, Part 1 (Ascension)', I'm sure there'd be at least a few people who'd suddenly declare it a masterpiece and musical achievement :chuckle: Vice versa for Exo as well imo.

Then again, some people seem to do it with TG based off just it's length anyway. 'Cause if something's long, it must be genius.

Exogenesis is separated into 3 parts but the parts flow together naturally. The Globalist seems like 3 unrelated pieces of music that were jammed into 1, just because.

And I would have preferred Drones if it were just a 1-minute coda for TG instead of trying to present it as a 3-minute track all on its own.

I applaud Muse for their creativity to record tracks like Exo and TG. I give them even more credit for having the balls to play something like TG live in its entirety which of course they never attempted with Exo. Still, I don't really think that TG works on the album or live as well as they would have liked. Even with the cool visuals, the crowd seemed bored during most of TG to the point of talking over much of it.

Hi, there - this is my first time posting on these forums.

I went to see Muse in Brussels and they were brilliant - I'm just gutted I missed Sunburn. It was my first time seeing them and we had GA/standing tickets. I had so much fun that I've persuaded my friend, who is a fan, to snap up a couple of tickets on home soil at the O2 arena in London on the 15th.

It's going to be a totally different experience, as we are seated. We are in Block 401, row C, seats 474 to 476. I'm aware these are far from the best tickets we could have obtained, but my friend is not keen on the idea of being in the pit, plus we are a little short on money, so these seemed like the best option. My question is - are these as unnervingly high as a few people have said? Also, I'm the kind of person who finds it impossible to remain still at a rock concert, so do people in this part of the arena generally stay seated? I'd like to get up and dance and sing along without annoying people/blocking their view/looking like an idiot. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has seen Muse at the O2 in the past.

Hopefully, as it's the last night in London, we'll get a decent playlist. I was a little disappointed by the lack of earlier material and Reapers (we got Revolt instead, which was a bit of a bummer). Fingers crossed.

The Globalist isn't without it's flaws, but I think it's pretty wonderful, and don't really get all the hate. That's saying something, really, as I was very negative about it being three covers smashed into an album before I really got a listen to it.

The slide guitar bit is one of my favorite things on the album, and although the piano section gets a bit long, I couldn't say what I'd cut out of it, and Matt's vocals are pretty damn good particularly during that ending.

I agree that aspects of TG are great but I don't think that the whole thing adds up to the sum of its parts

If Reapers was called Drones, Drones would just be called something else, or be tacked back on to the end of TG. That's a net gain of nothing. :chuckle:

I hardly feel like that song destroys the entire album, no matter how you feel about it on it's own.

Dronezzz doesn't nearly destroy the entire album for me. I just skip past it most of the time. Problem solved.

If you go way back to before album release, Matt says The Globalist ends with "the voices of those killed by drone strikes that will never see justice" and there was one other quote about the ending being the haunting voices of ghosts, or something.

He also said it was 13 minutes long.

Drones *is* the ending/coda to TG.

I just think it goes on too long...and playing it twice in concert was a bridge too far.

Just focus on the bright side: next tour, you're going to get 2-3 songs back!!

...I hope. You know, as long as they don't start putting more interlude tracks between songs. :LOL:

#DronesJFKPreludeInterludeHysteria

I honestly didn't mind the x2 Drones, even though I went in thinking it was silly.

The orbs ending up being one of the coolest parts of the gig, and was something that really isn't captured well on video. Even if they were beyond tattered looking, which was a little depressing.

The only thing that sucked about it was knowing how short the setlist was going to be, but that could easily have been rectified AND kept both Drones.

It was far less of a problem to me than the inexplicably long time in between a lot of the songs, JFK and Prelude into something weird, etc. There was just SO MUCH playback, IS, Interlude, Jam, etc. But I could have tolerated it if they weren't counting it as songs, basically, and playing 15 actual songs...

Or if the band didn't look angry, or at least bored, to be there.

I went to see Muse in Brussels and they were brilliant - I'm just gutted I missed Sunburn. It was my first time seeing them and we had GA/standing tickets. I had so much fun that I've persuaded my friend, who is a fan, to snap up a couple of tickets on home soil at the O2 arena in London on the 15th.

It's going to be a totally different experience, as we are seated. We are in Block 401, row C, seats 474 to 476. I'm aware these are far from the best tickets we could have obtained, but my friend is not keen on the idea of being in the pit, plus we are a little short on money, so these seemed like the best option. My question is - are these as unnervingly high as a few people have said? Also, I'm the kind of person who finds it impossible to remain still at a rock concert, so do people in this part of the arena generally stay seated? I'd like to get up and dance and sing along without annoying people/blocking their view/looking like an idiot. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has seen Muse at the O2 in the past.

Hopefully, as it's the last night in London, we'll get a decent playlist. I was a little disappointed by the lack of earlier material and Reapers (we got Revolt instead, which was a bit of a bummer). Fingers crossed.

From what I can tell, there aren't many, if any pits in the standing area on this tour tbh. The stage setup seems like it majorly inhibits that.

Not been to the O2 (yet) but, as far as I'm aware, the 400s are indeed pretty high. I guess whether or not it's 'unnervingly' so is down to perspective but, judging by what I've seen a few people with a fear of heights say, it can give the willies a bit. Shouldn't be too bad though, 'specially if you stay away from the edge. People also generally do stay seated up there, yeah. Technically, there's nothing stopping you from standing up and dancing tmk but you might get tutted at or asked to sit down.

Edited by Jobby

You saw them at the end of the tour. They were probably just angry and bored after all the playback, the long breaks between songs and listening to Dronezzz about 50 times in the previous 2 months.

The end of the US tour, but hardly even the start of the whole tour...

And if those things were honestly the problem, you don't think the band would just... get rid of them...? It's not like some outside source is dictating what they do on stage.

And even the earlier gigs were uneven, with people saying one night was fine while the next the band looked bored and miserable. In fact, the last gig of the US tour was far superior, bandwise, to the prior.

Even with the cool visuals, the crowd seemed bored during most of TG to the point of talking over much of it.

To be fair though, most of the crowd seems to talk over every song that's quiet or has quiet sections. Listen to any fan recording of Ruled By Secrecy. It annoys me to no end.

The end of the US tour, but hardly even the start of the whole tour...

And if those things were honestly the problem, you don't think the band would just... get rid of them...? It's not like some outside source is dictating what they do on stage.

And even the earlier gigs were uneven, with people saying one night was fine while the next the band looked bored and miserable. In fact, the last gig of the US tour was far superior, bandwise, to the prior.

I was just kidding

I was wondering :$

When Matt said his guitar was "broken" during Panic Station, isn't rather Matt's mistake?

If i remember correclty, during T2L Tour, he wasn't playing the guitar until the 2nd part of the 1st chorus with sorta wahwah effect. Distortion was for the 2nd chorus.

So maybe the fact that his guitar was silent this time is intentional and Matt just forgot it ?

God, that Detroit show was embarrassing. I'm sorry. :(

The band honestly should have done another one while they were still out in the area.

The scale of the orbs wasn't impressive until I saw them in person. I honestly barely noticed Drones was playing the first time.

The only thing that detracted from it was there were only a couple of small strips of lights on each one that were lit up, and some of them were even dangling off the sides.

Might have been better if they didn't turn the lights on them on at all; they looked shabby and old.

Looked very unprofessional, at best.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Level 4 is really quite high. I've been up there a few times and not had the nerve at all to stand up. Also most people up there do stay seated. It really depends who you are near though.

To be fair though, most of the crowd seems to talk over every song that's quiet or has quiet sections. Listen to any fan recording of Ruled By Secrecy. It annoys me to no end.

Except when in Japan. A quick chant and then dead silence. Even at a festival with tens of thousands of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vANY8gUiQGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhp-cVmwCus

The best part about the orbs at my show is when they started going haywire and crashing into the stage (and people). :musesign:

I was actually recording one of those orbs as it floated right in front of us then stopped recording about 10 seconds before it dropped into the next section. The orb had a big tear in it when the roadie came and dragged it away. It looked like somebody grabbed it or tried to punch it up like one of the balloons. I wish that I had captured it all on video.

I also wish that I had taken a video of the Reaper drone being pathetically dragged across a couple sections of the crowd as well.