Panic Station was fun live at Shepherd's Bush, but at the O2 felt weirdly placed, and the visuals were more interesting at the Emirates. Still, it was better live than Follow Me or Unsustainable.

I'm on the fence on the rotation - I like the idea of a genuine unpredictability for certain songs, but equally dread the idea of winding up with the shit end of the stick. Though tonight's setlist would not be objectionable, barring the obvious length issue.

I mean, songs like Assassin and Showbiz can be tricky so as much as it's still shitty to go back on them without saying anything, it's at least somewhat understandable. There's no excuse for backing out of Defector though, it's piss easy.

For some reason, it surprises me that this is so much a thing. Are Muse's own songs really so difficult for they themselves to play? I understand that an aging vocalist can't always hit the high notes that he/she once did and that there is a need to avoid shredding one's vocal cords over the course of a tour. Still, it seems that there are ample adjustments that can be made with changing the key and pacing the set appropriately to alleviate the problem. It's not like anybody is expecting Matt to sing Showbiz, Micro Cuts, Take a Bow and Survival back-to-back every night. (Although that would be quite awesome.)

Ignoring the touring acts that rely on backing tracks and back-up singers to flesh out the vocals, there are enough bands who play much longer sets than Muse seemingly without so much consideration about how difficult it is to perform their own songs. Many bands play 25-30 career-spanning songs per night (minus all the jams and prerecorded playback) without much regard to "difficulty".

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

Many bands play 25-30 career-spanning songs per night (minus all the jams and prerecorded playback) without much regard to "difficulty".

I dunno... I can't think of quite that many who do 25-30 a night. Springstein, Pearl Jam, U2, Foo Fighters on Dave's birthday last year... I mean, there are definitely some bands, but I feel like concerts in general have gotten acceptably shorter. Gone are the days of consistent 3 hr rock shows.

I had a dream recently that I went to a Muse show that opened with Revolt followed by SMBH. They did however go on to play Showbiz, Shine, Stockholm, and The Small Print :LOL: If only.

Anyway. Very happy to see Sunburn! :awesome: Bit more indifferent to Panic Station but I'm all for more rotation!

So, realistically, I could walk away from my 5 gigs having seen Revolt, Stockholm, The Globalist, AP, Sunburn, Map, PIB, Bliss, TAB, CE and Reapers. That's a batch of songs I'd be pretty happy with tbh, 4 or 5 new ones ain't bad.

Defector or Assassin or showbiz would make it really killer though.

I dunno... I can't think of quite that many who do 25-30 a night. Springstein, Pearl Jam, U2, Foo Fighters on Dave's birthday last year... I mean, there are definitely some bands, but I feel like concerts in general have gotten acceptably shorter. Gone are the days of consistent 3 hr rock shows.
Green Day, The Cure and Kaizers Orchestra are a few more.

Let's close the thread off with numbers. I got a count up of the songs played through all the US gigs (this includes small venues and promotional gigs). There's also some things like Prelude not being counted for some gigs but no one cares about that.

21 concerts.

Showbiz:

Origin of Symmetry:

2 New Born

3 Bliss

1 Hyper Music

8 Plug In Baby

3 Citizen Erased

4 Feeling Good

Absolution:

10 Apocalypse Please

18 Time Is Running Out

2 Stockholm Syndrome

20 Hysteria

Black Holes & Revelations:

20 Starlight

21 Supermassive Black Hole

8 Map of the Problematique

1 Assassin

21 Knights of Cydonia

The Resistance:

21 Uprising

15 Resistance

13 Undisclosed Desires

4 United States of Eurasia

The 2nd Law:

18 Madness

6 Prelude

2 Animals

16 The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Drones:

21 Dead Inside

2 [Drill Sergeant]

21 Psycho

18 Mercy

18 Reapers

17 The Handler

17 [JFK]

7 Revolt

17 The Globalist

29 [Drones]

Other:

1 The Groove

And here's the European dates so far. Again, this includes the Psycho Tour and festivals. I'll do more specifics like the arena tour only or whatever else someone wants later.

45 concerts.

Showbiz:

1 Sunburn

1 Muscle Museum

5 Uno

Origin of Symmetry:

6 New Born

15 Bliss

3 Hyper Music

34 Plug In Baby

11 Citizen Erased

4 Micro Cuts

Absolution:

25 Apocalypse Please

44 Time Is Running Out

27 Stockholm Syndrome

38 Hysteria

1 Blackout

1 Butterflies & Hurricanes

Black Holes & Revelations:

9 Take A Bow

43 Starlight

45 Supermassive Black Hole

10 Map of the Problematique

2 Assassin

45 Knights of Cydonia

The Resistance:

45 Uprising

11 Resistance

5 Undisclosed Desires

5 United States of Eurasia

2 Unnatural Selection

The 2nd Law:

12 Supremacy

27 Madness

1 Panic Station

12 Prelude

7 Animals

14 The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Drones:

39 Dead Inside

2 [Drill Sergeant]

45 Psycho

39 Mercy

39 Reapers

33 The Handler

27 [JFK]

1 Defector

4 Revolt

14 The Globalist

26 [Drones]

Other:

7 Agitated

2 Dead Star

3 Fury

2 Futurism

3 The Groove

To be fair, there aren't that many arena/stadium rock bands out there anymore so pretty much every single band listed is on Muse's "tier".

Nine Inch Nails plays 22-25ish songs generally.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-setlist/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?tour=Tension+2013

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Biffy Clyro were doing 26 (and did 27 last time I saw them!) on their last album tour. Radiohead did 24 when I saw them.

Muse are at mid-point of the scale for bands with more than 2 albums (even then Friendly Fires did 17 on their 2010 UK shows).