That's pretty much how I feel about the song, exactly. It was very bland and uninspired, and there were some real lowlights with the OTT/cheesy vocals Matt had drifted towards. The "ocean" bits make me cringe.

I saw it in person on the T2L tour (but not the TR one) and some of the vocal bits had been improved, so I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I was going to, but still not my favorite moment of the night.

The bridge, on the other hand, was actually amazing live.

Studio wise US never did much for me. The riff is too repetitive and the lyrics cross the curdling threshold multiple times.

As a live song it works really well, it has a good tempo, singalongs, epic breakdown in the middle; that moment when the guitar kicks back in ruins me. It's better suited to their current sonic approach than New Born, which sounds elongated and overdramatic.

That's been the problem with recent Muse albums, they have stated multiple times that they stopped writing songs with live performing in mind and it was quite evident. If Drones marks a return to gig-friendly music then I'm all for it.

The riff is also exciting, as there has been a severe absence of interesting riffs over the last two albums.