What's your amp/cab setup now? I do wonder if something like that would have a negative effect on the amp too. Like if your amp's tranny doesn't have enough juice to handle the meatbox - it might end up blowing instead.

A Hartke HA3500. It's a 350 watt hybrid amp, I'm pretty damn sure it has the power to take the Meatbox. It's the cab (Marshall DBS 7210 with currently unidentified speakers) that I'm worried about.

Usually it's just a SM57 into a USB interface into my macbook pro with upgraded solid state hard drive.

Relatively simple I guess. I was getting a great recorded tone with my JCM 800 thing the other day, but the recorded tone of this combo is far from how it should be.

And it depends how loud those noises are. Sometimes I have a fan running in the background and it doesn't pick that up at all, but that isn't too loud I guess.

See its all the recording interfaces, effects loops, midi controllers etc that I'm really behind on at the minute. I haven't a clue where to start or what I'd need to get for the things I want to do.

How much variation is there with recording interfaces and what sort of things are you looking for in terms of quality? One query I'd have is how well they capture the actual tone of the amp since the signal isn't going into the speakers.

See its all the recording interfaces, effects loops, midi controllers etc that I'm really behind on at the minute. I haven't a clue where to start or what I'd need to get for the things I want to do.

How much variation is there with recording interfaces and what sort of things are you looking for in terms of quality? One query I'd have is how well they capture the actual tone of the amp since the signal isn't going into the speakers.

Interfaces just look for a few things. Typically whether they can support 96khz (at least) and 24 bit recording. The lower latency the better, that can differ a lot. Maybe you want to individually provide phantom power to different channels. What connection do you want? USB, FireWire, thunderbolt, Ethernet? Not sure how many USB 3 interfaces are out there at the moment, firewire connectors are kind dying out but you can use thunderbolt adapters like with the focusrite saffire range for example, plain thunderbolt interfaces can be pricey, Ethernet is for pro stuff really £££. May be worth checking out reviews on how good the preamps are. If you're buying a decent interface then most likely the preamps will be alright but yeah

At least they had the power light on this time.

Also, 're your recorded tone, you want it to sound like it does in the room, so you're close Mic'ing it with a 57. ..

Add in a room Mic and see how it sounds, just be careful of phase.

It's not that I want that, it's just that it doesn't capture the sound at all. In the past, it's been fairly easy to get this setup to at least resemble what the amp sounds like.

Only thing that I can imagine is that it's just a different sound, and I'm mic'ing an open back 4x10 combo rather than a closed back 2x12.

That would explain a lot, open backed cabs are harder to capture relative to closed back due to the way the low frequencies propagate from the rear of the cab.

Fair enough. Any suggestions on mic'ing this? I have the SM57, but also an E906 (I think) which I can use as well.

Also, I was going to say this is how Bs would mod a super lead, but I don't think even he would go this far...

WNzrUNr.jpg

* Split / Shared Cathode Switch

* 6 Position Rotary Switch - Bright Channel Coupling Capacitor: 500pf >1000pf >.002uf >.01uf >.022uf>.047uf

* 270k / 470k Mix Resistor Switch

* 3-way Switch for V2 Boost > Switch up .68uf treble boost, Switch middle - no boost, Switch down 33uf bass boost

* Variable Slope Resistor Potentiometer 33k -133k range

* 6 Position Rotary Switch Bright Volume Capacitor: 100pf>250pf>500pf>1000pf>2200pf>4700pf

* .022uf / .1uf Phase Inverter Capacitor Switch

* 8.2k / 18.2k Voltage Drop Resistor Switch

* 4-8-16 Ohm Tap Switch for Feedback Resistor

* Variable Negative Feedback Control 27k - 127k

I've tried nearly all of those mods in one of my amps, and honestly...I'd say one of them is useful, and two or three others are a good idea, but not really necessary if you can find a fixed value that works.

Interfaces just look for a few things. Typically whether they can support 96khz (at least) and 24 bit recording. The lower latency the better, that can differ a lot. Maybe you want to individually provide phantom power to different channels. What connection do you want? USB, FireWire, thunderbolt, Ethernet? Not sure how many USB 3 interfaces are out there at the moment, firewire connectors are kind dying out but you can use thunderbolt adapters like with the focusrite saffire range for example, plain thunderbolt interfaces can be pricey, Ethernet is for pro stuff really £££. May be worth checking out reviews on how good the preamps are. If you're buying a decent interface then most likely the preamps will be alright but yeah

So the quality of capturing the amp/guitar's tone is mostly down to how good the interface's preamp is? And the audio quality/bandwidth of the recording obviously.

How does that compare, would you say, with mic'ing up the amp? Very broad question I know - but such is my inexperience with this kit hahaha, I've just stuck my phone next to the amp with voice memo's on thusfar :LOL:

Also, sidious911, did you see this? I recall you were talking to these guys when I sort of snuck up on you.

That gig was so much fun.

...judging by the comments, that might not have been water that hit the back of my arm during the show

Fuck... I want to go back so bad....

Same. I usually get over it within a few days... when will it stop this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozSAzCxbu6k

Halfway through the EC riff... one of the craziest parts of the night

Any guesses as to when they'll be doing the actual US tour? Guessing february would be the earliest.

someone on another part of the board said a little while back they were talking of doing the UK arenas in February or something, so maybe April/May time?

Fair enough. Any suggestions on mic'ing this? I have the SM57, but also an E906 (I think) which I can use as well.

you could try moving the mic further away from the cab, and further away from the centre of the speaker cone. also definitely try using a room mic as well, although it might need some trial and error to find a position for the room mic that works well with the close mic

VBAFwlgdyFE

Dave tone?

The only decent sound was towards the end with the way huge pedal by itself.

That sounds like the tone a 12 year old uses the first time they hear QOTSA.

They were so close too. The Green Rhino is a fucking great pedal for that sound and if they'd used the bridge pickup they'd be close. But with the fuzzes and the neck pickup they're closeer to Kyuss than QOTSA.

Does anyone know how Matt gets that really cool sound in the GOBE bridge in Assassin at the Mayan 2015 show?

It's from about 3m47s into this video:

http://YouTube.com/watch?v=2kV652Ob3ZM#t=3m47s

It sounds like the sound might be reversed? But then somehow whatever he's using would need to interpolate how the note will continue sounding, so it can reverse it. And disregarding the reversing, it still sounds a bit synthy. And I have no idea what I'm talking about :LOL:

That sounds like the tone a 12 year old uses the first time they hear QOTSA.

They were so close too. The Green Rhino is a fucking great pedal for that sound and if they'd used the bridge pickup they'd be close. But with the fuzzes and the neck pickup they're closeer to Kyuss than QOTSA.

Yeah I think Troy uses a green rhino now. And yeah, closer to kyuss, but the mids are a bit wrong

thought it sounded like his blue box tbh

The tone is similar, but doesn't the blue box only really work on high notes? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different pedal.

I'm guessing it's a customized patch on the axe FX. I've given up working out most of his current tones because of that and the kemper. :$