Old albums are better than new albums?

Pine-apple

Does anyone else feel like the more recent albums are worse than the original albums?

I personally think that the older albums are better than the new ones.

I think that technically muse have improved with every album, but that does not necessarily mean better. The guitar work in survival for example is more complex than say KOC, yet KOC is the better song. But personally, i have such a love for their older albums it would be very very difficult for them to release anything that would better it. But who knows, album no.7 could change all that.

• 3 weeks later...
So why has the music gone downhill as time has gone by?
1. Because Muse's taste in music changes, while yours stays the same.

2. Alternatively, yours changes too, just not in the same direction as Muse's. Who would've thunk?

3. Maybe Muse don't have as many ideas and as much creativity as they used to, who knows?

Maybe it's time to just move on and hope that Muse will make an album that you'll enjoy sometime in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in agreement with you, OP. Just listened to the new track, and it doesn't do anything for me. So I played Micro Cuts live from Hullabaloo, all is well. Also, this is my first log in in nearly 3 years! How are all of you doing?

I'm doing pretty good. How about you?

Also, literally everyone is in agreement with OP. And not figuratively literally. Literally literally.

Although I don't agree that this is the case for every band (most of them though).

Can't say I recall any lyrics from the past two albums aside from Uprising, as it was pretty good (and they played the damn thing on the radio thrice daily for months). I could probably recite the entirety of the first 4 albums though.

Psycho sounds promising though, the best shot we'll ever have at an actual rock album from the rock band Muse

They're different. What album I listen to can depend on my mood really. Sometimes I feel like listening to 2nd law stuff, sometimes I feel like listening to hullabaloo stuff. Though I'm weird and like songs a lot of Musers seem to hate. *coughisolatedsystemisaworkofartandIactuallylikeguidinglightcough*

Pretty unfair to classify "big fans" based on what albums they like.

Oh, and there's also a lot of tendency towards what album someone started with; my bf's favorite album is TR, and that was his first Muse album.

And because of that, T2L is more along the lines of what "Muse" sounds like to him.

Interesting, my first proper release was BHaR and at the time I loved it. I did the same for both TR and T2L, but the only albums that really stick with me are OoS, Absolution and BHaR. Why? For OoS and Abso they're coherent, there's an overall theme (NOT a concept in terms of a concept album) to both lyrics and musical style. OoS is energetic and deals with space/physics (loosely) and Abso, well abso just sounds fucking huge (it also does well to introduce a dying world, with hints of political intrigue).

Sure BHaR keeps its integrity whilst trying a few new things (SMBH and some space-opera ala KoC), especially so with Hoodoo (jesus fuck, that song!) But after this, the last 2 albums have just felt thrown together. I'm all for experimentation, but when you go from a very emotive and beautiful 12 ish minutes of Exo to the piss-break song (Guiding Light, also my name for Explorers) it just feels, weird. The same is true for T2L, I think the cover art summarises the album well, there's just no connection between it and the music, and the music doesn't feel connected either.

I'm not condemning TR and T2L, they're just not coherent enough. Drones may seem like it will be heavy-handed in its approach, but I think its coherence of musical and lyrical form that will make it better than it's 2 predecessors.

TL;DR, it's 2am so fuck tldrs.

Does anyone else feel like the more recent albums are worse than the original albums?

I personally think that the older albums are better than the new ones.

Showbiz was raw but good. Muse peaked on the next 2 albums with fresh sounds. I tell you when I first heard Stockholm Syndrome, it melted my face. CE blew my mind. Mind you, I had not listened to Paranoid Android before this song so I didn't have that coloring my perception. I still feel that albums 2 and 3 represent the creative, striving peak of Muse and everything else has been trying to be "rock stars".

Also I feel that the album 7 related threads are dominated by teens and early 20-somethings that prefer the new style and ridicule the older Musers who prefer the older style.

Also I feel that the album 7 related threads are dominated by teens and early 20-somethings that prefer the new style and ridicule the older Musers who prefer the older style.

Quit being so ageist. So many posts of yours keeps bringing up age as if it's the only way to appreciate music. :rolleyes:

They're different. What album I listen to can depend on my mood really. Sometimes I feel like listening to 2nd law stuff, sometimes I feel like listening to hullabaloo stuff. Though I'm weird and like songs a lot of Musers seem to hate. *coughisolatedsystemisaworkofartandIactuallylikeguidinglightcough*

isolated systems is one of the best tracks muse ever did. it is absolutely fantastic

Showbiz was raw but good. Muse peaked on the next 2 albums with fresh sounds. I tell you when I first heard Stockholm Syndrome, it melted my face. CE blew my mind. Mind you, I had not listened to Paranoid Android before this song so I didn't have that coloring my perception. I still feel that albums 2 and 3 represent the creative, striving peak of Muse and everything else has been trying to be "rock stars".

The only ridiculing going on here is your constant whinging about age and melodrama.

Thought people got less melodramatic with age, guess not.

Edited by Dillyracer