Old albums are better than new albums?

Pine-apple

On the whole I'd say that the earlier albums are better, but as mentioned earlier, Isolated System is one of the best things they've ever done. Same could be said for Exogenesis. Muse are still capable of producing great music.

Except Drones is going to be one thick slab of Matt's political derangement. Probably something akin to Roger Water's "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking". That went over well?

Showbiz was raw but good. Muse peaked on the next 2 albums with fresh sounds. I tell you when I first heard Stockholm Syndrome, it melted my face. CE blew my mind. Mind you, I had not listened to Paranoid Android before this song so I didn't have that coloring my perception. I still feel that albums 2 and 3 represent the creative, striving peak of Muse and everything else has been trying to be "rock stars".

Also I feel that the album 7 related threads are dominated by teens and early 20-somethings that prefer the new style and ridicule the older Musers who prefer the older style.

You're literally the only person who's been shitting all over other people's opinions lately.

And then you cry like a baby as soon as someone calls you out on it. Are you sure you're over 20?

I ridicule anyone who acts ridiculous.

If you feel like you're simply not being listened to when you're repeatedly saying the Origin/Absolution era was better, it's because it's the freaking Muse forum. The debate has been run over and over and ground completely into the dust. When I saw this thread title I nearly laughed, it's that ancient a discussion. So bringing up such ideas here, where people are listening to and expecting new material, begs the question as to why you're here.

I still feel that albums 2 and 3 represent the creative, striving peak of Muse and everything else has been trying to be "rock stars".

Except that they have stated on several different occasions that they got into business just to be rock stars

Also I feel that the album 7 related threads are dominated by teens and early 20-somethings that prefer the new style and ridicule the older Musers who prefer the older style.

This is the reason why when a band or group I like can creative/musical styles, I like to think of it as a new phase of that band. then in my mind I can hold different parts of that groups music in my head without the need to compare them and spoil a song that if had come from another group but sounded the exact same, I would have enjoyed. I used to get caught up in "but they is just not 'Insert artist's name here' style. And I would neglect a good song.

To help with Muse, I created playlists as follows.

Phase 1; Muse Assembled (songs from Showbiz - Abso Era (including hullabaloo, dead star etc)

Phase 2; Age of Electron (BHaR - 2nd Law)

This way I still Enjoy it all and it just feels better to just compare tracks that are in the same musical Era. Muse will always change but never go back to being in their 20's with that same style.

Except that they have stated on several different occasions that they got into business just to be rock stars

Yes I know, I read the '09 bio. But it still doesn't change the fact that the music from 99-03 had an urgency and organic quality that BH&R+ hasn't had. I hardly care about what their motivations where in that period, the music is great.

Isn't this the same for every "established" band? Fans always want something that compares to the album that attracted them to the band in the first place. Not saying that is a bad thing, just that it is nothing new....as everyone has already pointed out.

Personally, Undisclosed Desires is actually the song that turned me onto Muse, but I think Absolution is their best album, for what it's worth.

I think that Absolution is their best album, and I leave it as it is, I just don't hope that they will make another album like that, because they would just be repeating themselves.

I need to say that I believe they have grown so much as musicians, though. I don't believe that Matt could have created something like for example Isolated System and Exogenesis back then. And then, there is Animals, which is one of my top 5 Muse songs ever.

Well my top two favorites in order are TR and OoS and my top two least favorite (closer to the top means I like it less) are Showbiz and T2L, with Abso and BH&R duking it out in the middle, so I'd say that each set (first three vs. second three) is about the same as the other. Admittedly Showbiz is much more consistent than T2L, but TR is also more consistent than OoS, so they kind've equal each other out. A vote for equality is a vote for happiness as a Muse fan! ;)

Actually, I kinda agree. OoS is a little inconsistent. Compare the first half to the second. Very different sounding.

Exactly! The first number of times I listened to OoS, I quite appreciated the second half, but I just couldn't get into it as much as the first half at all. It took quite a while and each song individually establishing itself in my mind as awesome before the second half even really made much sense to me. TR on the other hand took hold of me right at the start and didn't let go till I got to the end, even though the symphony was a bit to grand for my preconceptions about music at the time. Still that' silken the last fourth of that record versus the last half of OoS which I didn't quite get until later. Personally, I've always loved basically every track on TR, with only US and GL having gone a bit down in awesomeness since I found the rest of Muse's catalogue. On that count, TR is, in my opinion, much more consistent than OoS, despite the fact that they are both supremely awesome and epic.

:LOL:

Personally though, in my own opinion, that doesn't have to be the same as anyone else's, Absolution is the most consistent.

*hides*

I'd buy that. I does seem to follow the same loud/fast song-quiet/slow song-repeat pattern through most of the album and all of the highs are supremely awesome and the lows are still great. It's pretty evenly dispersed, however, it's not my favorite album. Maybe it's a little too consistent or something.