Old albums are better than new albums?

Pine-apple

Exactly! The first number of times I listened to OoS, I quite appreciated the second half, but I just couldn't get into it as much as the first half at all. It took quite a while and each song individually establishing itself in my mind as awesome before the second half even really made much sense to me. TR on the other hand took hold of me right at the start and didn't let go till I got to the end, even though the symphony was a bit to grand for my preconceptions about music at the time. Still that' silken the last fourth of that record versus the last half of OoS which I didn't quite get until later. Personally, I've always loved basically every track on TR, with only US and GL having gone a bit down in awesomeness since I found the rest of Muse's catalogue. On that count, TR is, in my opinion, much more consistent than OoS, despite the fact that they are both supremely awesome and epic.
So the latter half of OoS has some tracks that are harder to get into, or maybe just aren't as good. Seems a bit weird to judge consistency by how easily you enjoy the tracks though.

So the latter half of OoS has some tracks that are harder to get into, or maybe just aren't as good. Seems a bit weird to judge consistency by how easily you enjoy the tracks though.

Consistency can be a difficult term to define in terms of the consistency of a piece of music, so perhaps I shouldn't have used it. Nevertheless, I think the old albums are equal to the new albums.

I find it amazing that the young Bellamy was capable of writing such imaginative and deep music and the older Bellamy is basically writing political cock rock and cheesy love songs. Isn't it usually the other way around?

Even you take the political songs he started doing on "Absolution", they're a million times better than what he's been putting out the last 2-3 albums.

Actually, I kinda agree. OoS is a little inconsistent. Compare the first half to the second. Very different sounding.

It's like a bunch of the 1st half OoS songs are designed to segue into each other with the distorted outro/intros. The first 7 songs are like the movements of a rock symphony.

I don't agree at all. My favourite album is BH&R. It's sonically very diverse, yet consistent in some way and has some of the best tunes Muse has ever done (KoC, Hoodoo, CoD, TaB, Assassin...).

And I actually think that T2L is better than Showbiz. Showbiz is a great debut album, but some of its tunes are very weak (Overdue, Fillip, Sober...), while T2L has Madness/Isolated System/Animals, all of them great songs and I like them more than any song from Showbiz (bold stament right here :LOL: ). It's a pity that the songs in the middle of the album are awful (Big Freeze/Explorers...).

OoS and Absolution (they seem to be fan favourites :LOL: ) are great albums. Better than T2L or Showbiz. But I think they are a bit overrated. First, I don't like the lyrics in OoS, they are nonsense to me. And it has Darkshines/Feeling Good/Screenager, songs I don't really like. I'd say Absolution is a better album, both lyrically and musically, but it doesn't reach BH&R levels.

And I have mixed feelings about The Resistance. I like the symphonic influences in this album, but, Guiding Light. God, it's the only Muse song I really hate with passion :LOL: . It doesn't help the fact that they love to play it live :mad: . Plus the only standout track is Exogenesis.

TL;DR: BH&R/Absolution/OoS/T2L/TR/Showbiz. Not all the old albums are better than the new ones.