The tour has come to an end, so time to evaluate.

(continued from here)

for reference:

Oh and cos I don't think it's been posted yet, from setlist.fm, every song throughout the tour that was played

Madness 105

Starlight 104

Uprising 104

Panic Station 101

Knights of Cydonia 101

Time Is Running Out 101

Follow Me 100

Supermassive Black Hole 98

Supremacy 98

Survival 97

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable 92

Monty Jam 83

Liquid State 81

Undisclosed Desires 77

Resistance 77

Plug In Baby 67

Hysteria 64

Stockholm Syndrome 59

Animals 57

Explorers 56

Map of the Problematique 37

Interlude 36

Sunburn 32

New Born 26

United States of Eurasia 23

Bliss 16

Unnatural Selection 15

Guiding Light 13

Agitated 12

Feeling Good (Leslie Bricusse & Anthony Newley cover) 12

Host 11

Save Me 10

Falling Down 9

Dracula Mountain (Lightning Bolt cover) 6

Butterflies & Hurricanes 5

Dead Star 4

Hyper Music 4

Citizen Erased 3

Yes Please 3

Blackout 3

Fury 3

Sign “☮” the Times (Prince cover) 3

Lithium (Nirvana cover) 2

Micro Cuts 2

Ruled by Secrecy 1

Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) 1

Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 3: Redemption 1

Futurism 1

Can't Take My Eyes Off You (Frankie Valli cover) 1

EDIT: few little interest stats from here http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-setlist/muse-53d6ebd5.html?tour=The+2nd+Law

AVERAGE SETLIST:

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

Supremacy

Supermassive Black Hole

Panic Station

Resistance

Hysteria

Animals

Monty Jam

Explorers

Follow Me

Knights of Cydonia

Liquid State

The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Madness

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Undisclosed Desires

Stockholm Syndrome

Uprising

Encore:

Starlight

Survival

Here's a completely pointless but kinda interesting and cool looking graphic that represents how much each song was played on the T2L tour:

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/7760535/T2L_Tour

Edited by Matthijs

The stage:

The arena stage was simple and effective. Nice theatrics without giving any room for "the stage restricts our setlist" shenanigans.

The stadium stage was bonkers, badass, completely over-the-top. And it wasn't even much more than a huge screen and some pyro. Loved it.

The gimmicks:

The roulette is a great idea in theory, but it was (pretty obviously) staged. Honestly I'd like to see them keep the roulette for the next tour, but have a pool of maybe 4-5 more obscure songs that they've rehearsed as options. And have it actually be random. Preferrably so that it's a surprise for Muse as well.

The actors need to fuck off. Holy shit, there's no need to make up reasons to keep Feeling Good in the set. Just drop it and drop the actors. And the fucking pooping balloon-gimmick has been done to death now (three stadium tours in a row).

The setlists:

Longer, more varied and performed brilliantly (mostly). Can't really complain a whole lot about the sets this tour. Aside from Starlight closing. But at least it wasn't KoC at every single gig.

The rotations:

Pretty good across the board, I'd say. Obviously there are some exceptions as always, but for the most part it was damn fair. It was very uplifting to see them (mostly) drop the whole second night syndrome thing and just spread the rare/-ish songs across several nights.

The songs:

What a tour. If you told me, after the TR tour, that they would play Sunburn, Dead Star, B&H, Bliss, RbS, Redemption, Agitated, Yes Please, Fury, Micro Cuts, Falling Down, Futurism, Hyper Music, CTMEOY and more, all in one tour, I would laugh in your face. But goddamn did they pull through this tour. A wide selection of songs, though some were only played once or twice, with lots of goodies for the hardcores. This is something that hopefully carries over to the next tour.

The gigs:

I've never fanboyed as much as I did this tour. Honestly, every gig I went to brought something new with it. Even Wembley 2 didn't match the levels of mindfuck I got from Helsinki or even SDF night 2. By far the most unpredictable gigs I've been to. Met loads of great people, old and new, and had good times all around.

---

Aside from the obvious; no anniversary gigs and no mention of it, poor ending to the tour etc, there's not really a whole lot to complain about. Great tour imho. I think that's about it.

/end positivity

Definite improvement over TR tour, but still a few issues. For me, Matt's tones were still hit and miss - some songs came on well, others regressed. Mainly good though.

A few songs have just curled up and died - Hysteria sounds a shadow of its former self, for example, as has New Born (:'(). Others have flourished - particularly some of the older ones that came back. Dead Star and Hyper Music stand out for me.

The following songs need to be retired, or well rested; Feeling Good, New Born, Hysteria, Starlight, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires, Guiding Light.

Also, Matt MUST start playing ALL his guitar and piano parts again, I think that's been the absolutely biggest turn off about this tour for me.

Overall, good effort. Shame about the limp ending.

The gimmicks:

The roulette is a great idea in theory, but it was (pretty obviously) staged. Honestly I'd like to see them keep the roulette for the next tour, but have a pool of maybe 4-5 more obscure songs that they've rehearsed as options. And have it actually be random. Preferrably so that it's a surprise for Muse as well.

The actors need to fuck off. Holy shit, there's no need to make up reasons to keep Feeling Good in the set. Just drop it and drop the actors. And the fucking pooping balloon-gimmick has been done to death now (three stadium tours in a row).

Absolutely agreeing with you.

But on the other hand, isn't it just about 10% of the people in the crowd at a Muse show who are aware of what will happen during the gig and can predict it all? I'm sure the other 90% part of the crowd (casual fans?) will remember a floating lightbulb with an angel, or whatever it is supposed to be, popping out of it much better than "here's a song we haven't played for a long time".

I see how all these actor and gimmick things can make the show as good as possible, but of course everyone of us here on the board would rather have more rarities to remember the show by.

actors need to fuck off

as does Feeling Good

as does Starlight, but since it obviously won't, at least don't have it as a closer. jesus.

matt should've played the guitar where he could've but hadn't (blackout and co)

otherwise, awesome as fuck tour.

edit: and yeah, the piano parts, too.

Yeah actors should fuck off

As Clunge said, really not keen on a lot of his guitar tone this tour

TIRO this tour I think has been better than for a long time, perhaps best. Second verse is heavy, and before the last prechorus, when guitar and piano bits overlap is good. Starlight would be good if Matt fucking played the choruses. Hysteria was just a bit naff.

SS, was ok, but again his guitar tones, it's like he's trying to emulate studio too much, the volume change between riff and the verses, massive drop off. Just feels naff

Plus I never saw Dead Star #Pray4Dom

Oh and cos I don't think it's been posted yet, from setlist.fm, every song throughout the tour that was played

Madness 105

Starlight 104

Uprising 104

Panic Station 101

Knights of Cydonia 101

Time Is Running Out 101

Follow Me 100

Supremacy 98

Survival 97

Monty Jam 83

Liquid State 81

Undisclosed Desires 77

Resistance 77

Plug In Baby 67

Hysteria 64

Stockholm Syndrome 59

Animals 57

Explorers 56

Interlude 36

Sunburn 32

New Born 26

Bliss 16

Unnatural Selection 15

Guiding Light 13

Agitated 12

Host 11

Save Me 10

Falling Down 9

Dead Star 4

Hyper Music 4

Citizen Erased 3

Yes Please 3

Blackout 3

Fury 3

Micro Cuts 2

Ruled by Secrecy 1

Futurism 1

EDIT: few little interest stats from here http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-setlist/muse-53d6ebd5.html?tour=The+2nd+Law

AVERAGE SETLIST:

Supremacy

Supermassive Black Hole

Panic Station

Resistance

Hysteria

Animals

Monty Jam

Explorers

Follow Me

Knights of Cydonia

Liquid State

Madness

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Undisclosed Desires

Stockholm Syndrome

Uprising

Encore:

Starlight

Survival

Edited by Dominic.

Also, Matt MUST start playing ALL his guitar and piano parts again, I think that's been the absolutely biggest turn off about this tour for me.

Probably my biggest issue with this tour as well. Blackout was totally ruined because of Matt delegating the guitar part to Chris so that he could do some cringy frontman bollocks instead. Obviously it affects other songs as well but that's the most glaring one to me. It wouldn't be as bad if he was charismatic enough on stage to pull it off but I don't think he is. The only time it's ever worked is during UD 'cause it doesn't really take away from the music and it brings some cool interaction with fans on the barrier, but then again UD shouldn't be played anyway so that point's pretty redundant.

Good tour in general though, definitely a big improvement over TR tour. My only possible gripes about song selections are the few songs that should be dropped (Feeling Good, Guiding Light etc.) sticking around and that I wish they'd kept Host as an intro to TIRO instead of just getting rid of it for seemingly no reason.

Edited by Jobby

Probably my biggest issue with this tour as well. Blackout was totally ruined because of Matt delegating the guitar part to Chris so that he could do some cringy frontman bollocks instead. Obviously it affects other songs as well but that's the most glaring one to me. It wouldn't be as bad if he was charismatic enough on stage to pull it off but I don't think he is. The only time it's ever worked is during UD 'cause it doesn't really take away from the music and it brings some cool interaction with fans on the barrier, but then again UD shouldn't be played anyway so that point's pretty redundant.

Can we all just sit here and jerk off in remembrance to how awesome this was

Madness 105

Starlight 104

Uprising 104

Panic Station 101

Knights of Cydonia 101

Time Is Running Out 101

Follow Me 100

Supremacy 98

Survival 97

Monty Jam 83

Liquid State 81

Undisclosed Desires 77

Resistance 77

Plug In Baby 67

Hysteria 64

Stockholm Syndrome 59

Animals 57

Explorers 56

Interlude 36

Sunburn 32

New Born 26

Bliss 16

Unnatural Selection 15

Guiding Light 13

Agitated 12

Host 11

Save Me 10

Falling Down 9

Dead Star 4

Hyper Music 4

Citizen Erased 3

Yes Please 3

Blackout 3

Fury 3

Micro Cuts 2

Ruled by Secrecy 1

Futurism 1

AVERAGE SETLIST:

Supremacy

Supermassive Black Hole

Panic Station

Resistance

Hysteria

Animals

Monty Jam

Explorers

Follow Me

Knights of Cydonia

Liquid State

Madness

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Undisclosed Desires

Stockholm Syndrome

Uprising

Encore:

Starlight

Survival

I think somehow something went wrong with your list because Unintended isn't even on there and some of the numbers towards the bottom of the list are a bit off. Blackout was definitely played more than 3 times this tour

Madness 105

Starlight 104

Uprising 104

Panic Station 101

Knights of Cydonia 101

Time Is Running Out 101

Follow Me 100

Supremacy 98

Survival 97

Monty Jam 83

Liquid State 81

Undisclosed Desires 77

Resistance 77

Plug In Baby 67

Hysteria 64

Stockholm Syndrome 59

Animals 57

Explorers 56

Interlude 36

Sunburn 32

New Born 26

Bliss 16

Unnatural Selection 15

Guiding Light 13

Agitated 12

Host 11

Save Me 10

Falling Down 9

Dead Star 4

Hyper Music 4

Citizen Erased 3

Yes Please 3

Blackout 3

Fury 3

Micro Cuts 2

Ruled by Secrecy 1

Futurism 1

AVERAGE SETLIST:

Supremacy

Supermassive Black Hole

Panic Station

Resistance

Hysteria

Animals

Monty Jam

Explorers

Follow Me

Knights of Cydonia

Liquid State

Madness

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Undisclosed Desires

Stockholm Syndrome

Uprising

Encore:

Starlight

Survival

Dead Star was only played 4 times?

setlist.fm distinguishes between stadium tour and the rest, since the first is called "The Unsustainable Tour"