Matt: "Audience loves return of Guiding Light, Starlight good closer"

ChristiaanW

4. Play clubs is also a great way to simultaneously connect with your richest fans and fund the touts longing to milk them for all they can get

Well they should take appropriate measures to combat touts, maybe using systems that other bands use. There were/are plenty of tickets selling at inflated prices for the arena/stadium tours. This issue is not an exclusive for playing in small clubs.

Well they should take appropriate measures to combat touts, maybe using systems that other bands use. There were/are plenty of tickets selling at inflated prices for the arena/stadium tours. This issue is not an exclusive for playing in small clubs.

The US arena shows that used the paperless tickets, on the other hand, in a lot of those gigs, the tickets sold slower, and were easier to get ahold of.

And the only tickets being scalped were relatively shitty ones.

I think the system worked really well, but small venues aren't equipped to handle it.

My friend wanted to go to a small show (non-Muse) recently in the worst way - tickets sold out immediately and she didn't get them even though she was online when they went onsale.

I found a scalping website that had 640 tickets available, at just ONE site, and the venue probably only held a few thousand people on a good day.

Small shows would be an absolute bloodbath in a lot of areas, unless the venues could handle that scalperless ticket system.

So I was talking about this interview last night with my followers on twitter and most of them seem to think that handshakes and hugs is indeed the right way to bond with fans. I'm not proud of it but I don't like these people, they make my life as a fan and the lives of other people who think like me more difficult. Also, this is stupid and he's not playing the guitar because he's bored.

Why doesn't he just do it at the end of the gig?

It also points out that he chooses to play guitar less on some songs, to have more contact with the audience.

If that's his attitude why doesn't he just get Morgan to sing and play guitar so Matt can go off and shake hands / hug / chat to the fans?..

Edited by Tom//P

The US arena shows that used the paperless tickets, on the other hand, in a lot of those gigs, the tickets sold slower, and were easier to get ahold of.

And the only tickets being scalped were relatively shitty ones.

I think the system worked really well, but small venues aren't equipped to handle it.

My friend wanted to go to a small show (non-Muse) recently in the worst way - tickets sold out immediately and she didn't get them even though she was online when they went onsale.

I found a scalping website that had 640 tickets available, at just ONE site, and the venue probably only held a few thousand people on a good day.

Small shows would be an absolute bloodbath in a lot of areas, unless the venues could handle that scalperless ticket system.

Small venues can handle scalperless ticket systems fine. For Muse at L'Olympia (capacity 1,700) you could only buy 2 tickets per person and you had to give the name of both attendees at the time of booking. On the day you brought your ID and email confirmation and they would give a ticket and a wristband that they would put on you themselves so as a result there was zero tickets sold on ebay.

For Foo Fighters at Dingwalls (capacity 500) they announced the tickets on the day a few hours before the gig and you could only buy 1 ticket per person.

So if they want to do it they can.

It might just be a symptom of the economy in the US, but most of our small venues are actually really struggling. :(

I went to a famous venue the other night, and even there, with just people who HAD tickets, and selling at the door, they were struggling to get everyone processed an inside on time.

Staffing is at an all time low, and there was no one directing traffic/expediating the process, even.

If everyone had to check in (more than just having a ticket ripped) most of us would have missed the actual show.

I suppose they could start opening doors more than 1 1/2 hour beforehand. We'd get drunker, too, and they might make more money. :LOL:

It might just be a symptom of the economy in the US, but most of our small venues are actually really struggling. :(

I went to a famous venue the other night, and even there, with just people who HAD tickets, and selling at the door, they were struggling to get everyone processed an inside on time.

Staffing is at an all time low, and there was no one directing traffic/expediating the process, even.

If everyone had to check in (more than just having a ticket ripped) most of us would have missed the actual show.

I suppose they could start opening doors more than 1 1/2 hour beforehand. We'd get drunker, too, and they might make more money. :LOL:

I've had quicker check ins at smaller venues than I've had at arenas. The smaller venues tend to have security managers that actually know what they're doing and what the venue policies are, while arena security always act as if it's their first time ever working for a concert. I love the smaller venues in my area.

I've had quicker check ins at smaller venues than I've had at arenas. The smaller venues tend to have security managers that actually know what they're doing and what the venue policies are, while arena security always act as if it's their first time ever working for a concert. I love the smaller venues in my area.

I really wish this was the case here, but unless you're going to a bar with a few hundred people in it, it's been a nightmare.

Quite a few of our small venues have gone under recently, and the ones that remain are having real issues with staffing and ticketing, in my and my friends' experience. :'(

It's a pretty sad state for music in my area. Even more than normal.

Oh brother.

I'll just quote a concert review from the US tour:

“Can you free me, free me from this world?” Bellamy asked in song during an uncharacteristically subdued “Explorers.”

Dude, that ticket was punched years ago.