Great gig I'm sure, no question, but is everyone really that happy with the setlist?

Dead Star was a huge treat of course, but the fact it's not out of the ordinary now for Muse to play a gig with only 1 song from both Absolution and Origin of Symmetry is a bit disheartening.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

A small venue and live streamed gig was expected to be around 17/18 songs. That's been the standard this whole tour. But then they still managed to bring out Dead Star, Sunburn, and Eurasia (third piano slot which hasn't been seen yet). Add that with some decent shuffling and it was pretty good if you ask me.

That's exactly my point, it's not a disappointment anymore, it's just 'the standard'.

If that had happened as little as two years ago, we'd all be up in arms. I know Reading/Leeds was always intended as beginning to retire a lot of the OoS songs and they've also got a whole new album they need to squeeze in somewhere, but if you'd asked me 3/4 years ago, I don't think I ever could've pictured a Muse gig where the likes of New Born and Hysteria are dropped. And I know it wasn't always a guarantee at their gigs, but it's gotten to the stage where Stockholm Syndrome is now probably considered a 'rarity', which is kinda crazy considering it was a single. I still don't understand the excitement with USoE, it wasn't that long ago that it was a staple at every show.

:LOL: I sound like I'm trying to be really negative, which I'm not, I'm just trying to put things into perspective a little. I just think we can expect a lot more from Muse at the stadium shows this summer.

That doesn't really say much though. 3/4 years ago there was one less album to take into rotation. It's expected that as they move on some older songs are seen less frequently, which is why rotation is always a key part of the sets. They can have different slots to rotate different songs so the tour overall in playcounts doesn't become stale (like the last one was). I know you said you noticed this but obviously it's a big factor.

And the "standard" this tour isn't even that bad to begin with. The whole smaller venue-smaller setlist has been there since the Absolution Tour.

USoE isn't very special, but as I said it's more that they fitted 3 piano slots in a set that was smaller than their standard arena gigs (where they've been only playing one in North America, and 2 in Europe).

I don't think it's the greatest setlist ever just because of Dead Star, but I'd still put it up there as one of the best of the tour so far.

I'm going to sleep now.

That's exactly my point, it's not a disappointment anymore, it's just 'the standard'.

:LOL: I sound like I'm trying to be really negative, which I'm not, I'm just trying to put things into perspective a little. I just think we can expect a lot more from Muse at the stadium shows this summer.

There's set list expectations and then there's Muse set list expectations. This was probably the most surprising set list (in comparison to the ones played just before) in...years.

And no, we can't really.

When Matt mentioned playing some old stuff at The Emirates Stadium, could it potentially be a 10th anniversary gig for Absolution?

I highly doubt it though..

Their manager told Fabri (member on here) that they are NOT playing a 10th anniversary Abso gig. They WILL however bring back at least Fury, Butterflies and Hurricanes, as well as having rehearsed Falling Away With You.

Allegedly.

They responded to someone's question about Falling Away With You on #askmuse last night, so it might crop up at some point. Not sure if the stadium shows would be the best place, but I'd love to hear it live wherever, tbh.

It was absolute TORTURE when Matt was taunting us about possibly playing Dead Star. I was screaming 'Play it, you bastards!!' at the stage with such vehemence and then I lost my mind when they actually did. :LOL:

I love that Matt was pretending it was a spontaneous thing ('Shall we play it? Ah, we'll give it a go then!'… or something to that effect) when they'd admitted to rehearsing it and it was on the setlist anyways :p Not that it matters: main thing is they played it and it was simply immense!! :D

Their manager told Fabri (member on here) that they are NOT playing a 10th anniversary Abso gig. They WILL however bring back at least Fury, Butterflies and Hurricanes, as well as having rehearsed Falling Away With You.

Allegedly.

Still, it sounds like a exciting line up of songs. I would absolutely love to see Fury performed live. I have never seen it performed and it's a brilliant song.

Again, that's my point. I totally agree. It is the best setlist of this tour so far, but would you prefer it to a bog-standard setlist of the last tour or the tour before? I like the new album, don't get me wrong, it's their best in years, but OoS or Absolution it ain't.

It's eons better than the "tour before".

I quite enjoyed TR tour, but I had pretty great sets at both of my shows. I even got Ruled By Secrecy at one. This tour is shaping up to disappoint me, serious lack of Origin and Absolution songs. I mean, come on, Plug In Baby isn't guaranteed and I've seen sets where there has been no Hysteria, Stockholm or Plug In Baby? That's just awful. Nothing that the crowd really will sing along to, except maybe Uprising or Knights.

Disagree.

OoS song will be a rotation of PiB/Bliss/New Born/CE. Possibly FG but it'll be only ONE of these

Abso : possibly SS/b&h/s4a/fury/hysteria , chances are two or three abso songs

In my opinion for stadium shows

If that were the case the the stadium setlists would pretty much be the same as the current US gigs with like two songs added to the rotations. Even Muse wouldn't pull that kind of shit.

I hope.

When Matt mentioned playing some old stuff at The Emirates Stadium, could it potentially be a 10th anniversary gig for Absolution?

I highly doubt it though..

Allegedly.

There's also people saying that Darkshines and Megalomania were soundchecked on the European leg, which could mean something, might not.

However there would be no point soundchecking something they didn't have the slightest intention of playing. This more of less comes back to Micro Cuts being soundchecked at LA Rising (I think it was there) in preparation for R/L.

So basically this old stuff supposedly includes FAWY, Fury, B&H, everyone is saying CE will be back, and with a lesser chance of appearing (i.e. gripping on straws) Darkshines and Megalomania.

You genuinely don't believe we'll get more than 1 song from OoS and Absolution respectively at the stadium shows? Of course we will.

Of course, just discussing the whole surprise element factor and abundance of rarities. If you are just happy with Hysteria returning and KOC closing I'm sure you will be a happy camper. My point was more that there will probably be 1-2 more not-standard songs but that doesn't count as "expecting a LOT more" from a band (for the most of us).

Archived