Would you pay to view a live stream of a Muse gig?

leetroot

Niall's thread about buying official live cds made me think again about live streams of gigs.

Would you pay to watch a live stream?

This would be a great way for more people to see a gig, albeit without the atmosphere of being in the audience but for those who didn't manage to get tickets or who are abroad,it would be a great way to participate.

I watched a couple of PJ Harvey streams last year (? can't remember when, probably mentioned in the PJ Harvey thread though). One was from Paris and was free - I suspect it was a test run because they followed it with a pay for view stream from the Albert Hall. I can't remember how much it was - either £5 or £8. The quality was excellent with only a couple of barely noticeable lags.

I don't know enough about computers to know how many people could view at the same time without a site crashing? If this messageboard is anything to go by then not many! :LOL::LOL: Perhaps some computer people can explain what is needed and how it would work?

Honestly, I don't think I would. Free streams every once in a while for festivals and such is fine, but I don't see myself paying to watch the band play a concert I'm at. Maybe it's because this board already has such a participatory system of following gigs that I don't see much of a gain in having to pay just to see it on video.

I wouldn't pay for a streaming. I'm not ok with bands who charge live streamings, those should be free (also because they're not so frequent).

Maybe it's because this board already has such a participatory system of following gigs

Which system?

/noob

Indeed :'(

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN

Each gig everyone rushes to the Gig Following page (used to be the specific gig page but people were whiners and mods had to change) then everyone just goes on twitter and tries to follow the setlist as it happens. Usually there's people from the board who will tweet the gig (I've done this). It's all pretty fun. Then we go to the setlist discussion thread and complain about the setlist.

Each gig everyone rushes to the Gig Following page (used to be the specific gig page but people were whiners and mods had to change) then everyone just goes on twitter and tries to follow the setlist as it happens. Usually there's people from the board who will tweet the gig (I've done this). It's all pretty fun. Then we go to the setlist discussion thread and complain about the setlist.

Oh :awesome: it will be a mess for the Montpellier gig.

I'd easily pay a small amount like £5 or something like that for the special gigs I can't attend. Like the huge stadium shows, japanese gigs and such. Problem is that Muse / Matt will never allow live streams in case he makes a mistake or the balloons make their camera auto-focus to malfunction......

No way. My experience from livestreams, is they suck... The video fucks up, or the audio lags, or something...

Having said that, if it was PPV on Sky Box Office, or a cinema event, like Noel Gallagher's O2 gig, then I would be up for that.

I can tell you first-hand that this would not be a good idea. At all. First, the page lags and, in the case that I've witnessed, crashed altogether (at least three times). Second, what Kueller said, about the gig followings. It would go away and then what would we do? Third, and I believe he also said this (cba to go back and check); if it's a live stream, then it should be free. My honest opinion: ditch the idea entirely.

*I really do speak from personal experience*

interesting. the stream i gave as an example was excellent quality without lagging. high quality visual and sound wise. i'm not suggesting anything other than that kind of quality should be used, otherwise it's just hideous. (thinking of the rubbish quality, olympic torch thing here).

of course i would prefer a free stream myself but for some gigs i would be willing to pay.

i would have thought it would enhance the sexy plane threads, having a visual to chat along to?

i would have thought it would enhance the sexy plane threads, having a visual to chat along to?

It would change, maybe not enhance it. On gigs that were streamed, since there was no searching for the setlist, it was more of a discussion as it comes along and the biggest part was judging the performances of songs and of course being able to hear and see what was going on. The sacrificed part was some of the fun of searching through twitter and building the setlist as a group. I remember the tweet bingo being spawned from that.

Archived