Why do you like/love Muse?

somnolentjack

Hello all,

I come here in need of help. I am not a Muse fan, in fact I despise their music. Before you label this as a troll thread, spam, or anything of that nature please know that I am posting with genuine intentions and am not here to gloat about why I dislike Muse. I am currently enrolled in a class called "Popular Culture" at Portland State University. This course is mostly focused on "taste" and more specifically what taste means and why we all have such differing opinions on a multitude of subjects.

For our midterm assignment we have been charged with the task of picking our least favorite band with the goal of trying to understand why we dislike that band so much and why others love that same band.

So here I am on the official Muse forums asking you Muse lovers what it is that sucks you into their music? Is it the technicality of a guitarist you like? Do you just love the singer's voice? Do the lyrics speak to you in a particular way?

I would greatly appreciate your help and who knows maybe I'll grow to appreciate or even love their music!

Thank you

Some of the lyrics are pretty good and it's nice to relate to a few of them. The build-ups and climaxes of some of the songs are fantastic. Some of the songs are quite moving. The sheer power of certain sections (Hyper Music's chorus for example) is pretty empowering at times.

That said, I'm starting to move on to Radiohead.

Some of the lyrics are pretty good and it's nice to relate to a few of them. The build-ups and climaxes of some of the songs are fantastic. Some of the songs are quite moving. The sheer power of certain sections (Hyper Music's chorus for example) is pretty empowering at times.

That said, I'm starting to move on to Radiohead.

Thank you, I really appreciate the input! I'll check out Hyper Music.

What songs would your recommend I listen to from Showbiz or Origin of Symmetry?

All of Origin, maybe not Screenager though - some people don't like it that much. From Showbiz:

Sunburn

Muscle Museum

Cave

Showbiz

Unintended

Uno

Hate This & I'll Love You

What songs would your recommend I listen to from Showbiz or Origin of Symmetry?

From Showbiz:

Showbiz

Cave

Sunburn

Muscle Museum

From Origin:

Space Dementia

Citizen Erased

Hyper Music

Darkshines

(or Plug In Baby and New Born but i'll assume you've heard them, atleast the former, before)

There are a lot of reasons I like Muse, but what struck me when I first heard them was that they don't sound like any other band I'd ever heard. (Many fans and non-fans compare them to Radiohead, and it's been talked to death on here, but I don't really see it.) Also, there is a wide variety of types of songs in their catalog: acoustic, metal, pop, orchestral, etc...

Good luck w/ your project! :)

Edit: You might also peruse these threads:

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=80764&highlight=love

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=55137&highlight=love

Saw them live before hearing about them in 2006, thought it was pretty decent.

Downloaded their discography and forgot about them.

Started listening a few months later, started with BH&R, wasn't too impressed. Actually took me several more months to really get into them.

But anyway, what I love about Muse is the unique voice of Bellamy(vocals are usually a huge part of the music I listen to), and more than that...the songs just never gets old. I can listen to 90% of their songs today and still not feel like I've heard them too many times.

And as someone who wasn't very into music in general, and especially not the technical aspect, what Matt did seemed incredibly impressive which probably helped a lot.

But anyway, what I love about Muse is the unique voice of Bellamy(vocals are usually a huge part of the music I listen to), and more than that...the songs just never gets old. I can listen to 90% of their songs today and still not feel like I've heard them too many times.

Exactly this, and the fact that I thought were so creative and versatile. Previously, I was listening to country, and the topics and melodies are really simple compared to what I listen to now. When I got onto the board, that's when I really got into them, and I think their personalities and histories contributed a fair bit,too.

Muse made me become much more interested in music. When I first listened to them they felt like a breath of fresh air, and the classical music influence really appealed to me. I think what appealed to me the most though was their live performances and Matt's energy on stage.

I love their versatility and Matt's voice. They also make me laugh a lot and are genuinely nice guys.

• 3 months later...
Muse made me become much more interested in music. When I first listened to them they felt like a breath of fresh air, and the classical music influence really appealed to me. I think what appealed to me the most though was their live performances and Matt's energy on stage.

I love their versatility and Matt's voice. They also make me laugh a lot and are genuinely nice guys.

Pretty much this.

I love the effort they put into their music, whether it's live or studio. You can tell that they're doing this because they love it, and they give their all.

So much of their music sounds like what I'm feeling but can't put into words, and it comes across as so honest and heartfelt, mind-to-mind.

The first time I heard Blackout it made me cry, and I'm not a crying sort of girl.

Another thing I love is that so much of it has a visual feel. I have a very visual mind, [:LOL:], but a lot of music that I hear doesn't give me anything to 'see'. Muse is the complete opposite.

I just love it, in a way I can't describe I guess. Sorry if this wasn't that helpful, I always have a hard time explaining *why* I love the things I do.

I love how each of their songs are unique, they experiment with so many different styles, they don't care about what people want to hear and make the music they want to make, but at the same time seem to care about their fans. I respect them for being a 'home grown' band since such a young age and none of this manufactured crap. Their music has allowed me to appreciate old music, move on from the charts and listen to more rock and alternative bands and respect that genre of music far more. Also my interest in learning about the production side has taught me lots about how music is produced, made, created. Although of coarse I don't know them and without fangirling my head off they seem like genuinly nice guys. And their frikken emense live by the looks of it :awesome:

Archived